Dear Ultimate Guitar,

I'm a musician/guitarist. I have long hair and it is sort of like my Samson locks, you follow? Aside from bringing me comfort and the fact that I have havn't cut it in 3 years, I feel like it's also part of MY look as a "wanna-be" entertainer. (I currently get zero exposure )

Well, my friend has asked me to be a groomsman in his wedding and requested I cut it off, high and tight for the photos. I've known for a year and each passing week brings me closer to mourning the loss of my long hair.

What should I do? What would you do?

I thought, what better forum than a group of guitarists/artists to seek advice on the subject.

Signed,
Samson in Mourning
Been a few confessionals in MT lately. probably better suited to the pit which is for all general (non music) related topics. Your hair is not really music related. So although this is Musician's Talk it's still for discussing music.

As for your friend's request - it's completely unreasonable for him to expect you to cut your hair because that's how he wants you look for one day. Chances are it's his fiancée that's driving it, either way it's a bridezilla type request, selfish and kind of rude to be honest.

You need to look good obviously and put in some effort. You might even visit a hairdresser and get some advice on what you can do with your hair, maybe even try a couple of styles out to make sure you will know what you're going to do with it on the day.

I wouldn't cut it if I were you.
Si
Long hair just looks awful. It's 2013, not 1985. Long hair isn't going to help you gain exposure as an entertainer. In fact, it's probably doing the opposite. Stop trying to craft an immature / amateur image as a guitar metalhead and actually work on...you know...being a great musician.

Getting noticed as a musician by actually being good at music. Is that crazy or what?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
get a bowl cut TS

or just put it in a ponytail like everyone with long hair does
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
It's absurd for him to ask you to cut your hair for his wedding photos.

There are a variety of ways you can wear your hair for that day that will look fine in pictures.
Well, 1985 was pretty awesome but I'm not trying to be someone else. I don't play metal, so that's not it. Honestly, I've been growing it forever and it just looks better than with short hair. Everyone but my parents and those over 60 agree.
Can you make your long hair look more well groomed, like this guy?

My hair currently looks almost exactly like that guys hair.
Quote by 20Tigers
Been a few confessionals in MT lately. probably better suited to the pit which is for all general (non music) related

Sorry bout that 20Tigers. New member here. I'll take all beauty related questions to the pit in the future
Quote by Xiaoxi
Long hair just looks awful. It's 2013, not 1985. Long hair isn't going to help you gain exposure as an entertainer. In fact, it's probably doing the opposite. Stop trying to craft an immature / amateur image as a guitar metalhead and actually work on...you know...being a great musician.

This is not true.

Getting noticed as a musician by actually being good at music. Is that crazy or what?
This is true.

Fact is, if you're writing good music and performing it well, people probably won't care how you look, provided you're not (for instance) writing pop music or music for grandmas. Also, there's nothing wrong with crafting an image.

Anyway, tell your friend (and his bride-to-be) to suck it. Go to a hairdresser and make it look nice and all. But expecting you to cut your hair for one day is selfish and stupid. Sounds like his fiancee's basically pulling what Xiaoxi's pulling (the part I said isn't true), but she's being an actual bitch about (whereas I suspect Xiaoxi's half joking).
One more thing:

When you tell him you won't cut your hair, be polite about it, and explain that it took you years to grow your hair like this. If they decide they don't want you in the photos, don't make a big deal about it. It's their day.

Also, give them plenty of notice. Don't tell them you're going to cut it, then show up with it uncut.

Yes, they're being lame. Respond to that by being more decent than they're probably entitled to.
Mine was long for years. To my knowledge, it was never an impediment to anything, including landing a position in a professional career.

Point is, as long as it is neat, do what makes you happy. They asked YOU to be a part of their party, not a guy with short hair. Be honest, but be decided. Tell them that you'll be honored to be a part of their party, but you will be you - the person they asked.

Enjoy it while you can. I went from "Bon Jovi" to "Michael Bolton" in a period of about four years. At that point, I had little choice but to get it all cut off. I still wish I didn't have to, but biology insisted it be done.

There will come a time when it won't just grow back the way you want it.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I used to have dreadlocks down to my waist. I refused to cut them for ten years. But in the end, I started to realise that the things I can't do without, own me. I finally chopped it all off. It was a relief. I can now style my hair in many ways, and I'm enjoying new looks every few month or two. I feel a lot better, more in control of my own appearance, no longer forced into that dreadlocked stoner guy role. You do end up becoming your appearance, and being flexible with it is like styling your character in Saints Row or Fable etc. Changing your looks does change how you think and feel, and how others perceive and treat you. Use that to decide. You might feel all fresh and inspired with a new look.
Last edited by innovine at May 18, 2013,
Quote by Xiaoxi

You are soooo crust mannnn.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
It is absolutely offensive that this selfish inconsiderate A-hole is asking you to cut your hair. Tell him to F off, and tell him you're busy that weekend. Who the F does he think he is? And if it's his wife, tell him to grow some balls and man up.

Cut your hair when YOU decide it's time, not some idiot in a tux.
1978 Les Paul Custom Sunburst
2001 USA Strat (Hot & Cool Rails)
Effects: Boss GT-6 with Tech-21 Power Amp
Yeah very rude request. Keep your hair for as long as you like. I probably wouldn't even attend the wedding after something like that, which might ruin the friendship - but whatever.