I'm looking for an affordable Music Man copy bass. My max budget is €400 but I prefer to spend less. I'm also willing to go used.

I've been looking at OLP, Sterling by Music Man and the vintage V96.

The bass should last me for a while and I need it for gigging and recording.

The style is a mix of You me at six and A day to remember.

I live in the netherlands.

Are there any other brand that make great copies an are within my budget?

I've already played the Sterling and I really liked it but if there is anything better out there that's cheaper or similar priced I'd love to give it a try.

Thx in advance.
Gear

-Schecter Tempest Custom
-Ibanez EW20WNE-NT
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Boss TU-3
-Boss NS-2
-ibanez PM7
Of the ones I tried, The Sterling ray is the more accurate, better quelity mman copy. And I tried OLP, Sterling SUB, SX, and other ultra cheapo brands which really doesn't count. Get the Sterling ray, you won't regret it.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Are you talking about the Sterling ray that costs €1000?

I tried the Sterling SUB which is around €350 here.
Gear

-Schecter Tempest Custom
-Ibanez EW20WNE-NT
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Boss TU-3
-Boss NS-2
-ibanez PM7
My SBMM SUB Ray4 is absolutely perfect
As much as I love my Vintage V100, the V96 just doesn't feel Stingray-ish enough.

Since Sterling By Music Man is by Music Man, it's going to be the closest to a genuine 'Ray bass you can get without spending a huge amount on a parts bass.

EDIT: The best place for you to get one online would probably be Thomann
http://www.thomann.de/gb/sterling_by_music_man_sub_ray_4_bk.htm
Last edited by CorrosionMedia at May 13, 2013,
Avoid the OLPs The ones I have played feel cheep and not well made for the most part. And the pickups are at best meh sounding.

Otherwise both the posts above pretty much give the advise I'd give.
Thx all! seems like i'm going to get myself a Sterling SUB
Gear

-Schecter Tempest Custom
-Ibanez EW20WNE-NT
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Boss TU-3
-Boss NS-2
-ibanez PM7
An Ibanez ATK is also worth checking out, if you don't mind the fact it might not look like a stingray. Especially if you can find a japanese ATK second hand, they have a very stingray-like sound.
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Yes, I meant the Sterling ray 34 (or 35).
I had one of those Sterling SUBs, though, and if that's what you can afford for now, I definetly recommend them. Pretty good, but you get what you pay for. What I disliked the most were the bridge, and maybe the tuners. In the 5 months i owned it, the started to seem like the wouldn't last much. But the bass itself is good enough. Also, it had some neck dive, but i owned the fiver, so that may not be an issue for the four string version...
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
I'm building one myself, personally. When it's done I think it will have cost something like £300 altogether.
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
@sukdaka, yes unfortunaly I just don't have the money to buy the ray34 and since it's going to be my first bass I don't feel like spending more than I did on my most expensive electric guitar. Would you say that upgrading the tuners and bridge would be worth it over time?
Gear

-Schecter Tempest Custom
-Ibanez EW20WNE-NT
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Boss TU-3
-Boss NS-2
-ibanez PM7
Quote by Trecion
@sukdaka, yes unfortunaly I just don't have the money to buy the ray34 and since it's going to be my first bass I don't feel like spending more than I did on my most expensive electric guitar. Would you say that upgrading the tuners and bridge would be worth it over time?

Well, i think you could get the SUB ray, and mod only if it is necesary, because the money you spend on it won't come back on better resale value. Therefore, I'd try to use the bass stock as much as possible and only fix what could become dodgy. Plus, for the bridge at least, i think there won't be any quality replacement for less than $80, and you are most likely going to need to fill old holes and make new one for the instalation. Either way, there are not many basses with better harware for the money, and none of them sounds even somewhat like a musicman, so the Steling SUB is the way to go, the way i see it.

Also, TRY TO TRY THE DIFFERENT SUB RAYs AVAILABLE. Particularly compare maple against rosewood fingerboards if you can. I tend to really like the maple fretboard the most.
Quote by FatalGear41

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
There also was the original SUB4 line by MM before the renamed them Stearling by Music Man SUB.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
@sudaka: I hadn't even noticed some had a maple fingerboard, thx for the heads up! On my electric guitar i tend to prefer Rosewood, I don't know why though, i always end up with guitars that have a rosewood fingerboard.

Is there soundwise a difference noticable on the bass? On my guitars i notice that rosewood gives a slightly warmer tone which I like.

@Robbgnarly: Aren't those more like the Sterling Ray34s pricewise?
Gear

-Schecter Tempest Custom
-Ibanez EW20WNE-NT
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Boss TU-3
-Boss NS-2
-ibanez PM7
Quote by Trecion
Is there soundwise a difference noticable on the bass? On my guitars i notice that rosewood gives a slightly warmer tone which I like.

The difference is mostly in "feel." And of course aesthetics. People describe maple boards as "snappier" or "brighter" but any actual difference in sound is going to be negligible.

Quote by Trecion
@Robbgnarly: Aren't those more like the Sterling Ray34s pricewise?

The original SUB line was made by Music Man some 10 years ago or so and was discontinued in the mid-2000's. They were made in the US and were a stripped down version of Stingrays and Sterlings (Sports Utility Bass). Used they generally go for around $500 USD these days give or take. Your chances of finding one overseas are probably pretty slim.

EDIT: EBMM's other past budget line were the basses made by OLP, but you're better of withe the new Sterling by MM's.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass