So this i just recently purchased a new guitar, im fairly new back to the scene so i decided to go ahead and just get a beginner guitar even though i am now start to wish i would have got the standard $500 les paul rather than the $150 epi les paul special II, but anyway does anyone own this amp? and what do you think of it compared to other amps? this is a really old amp that my brother gave to me. and If this is a shitty amp compared to whats out today what are some good amps i should look into that wont break my pocket?
gonna need a budget and country to tell you what is available near you.

yes there are much better amps than the spider.
The Spider isn't rated very highly in these forums, nor anywhere that isn't trying to get your money from buying one.

Fill these in and people can help you:

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
I own a Spider II, running it exclusively on the Crunch setting, which is supposed to emulate an early Marshall tone, on very low gain. It has nice dynamics and an astonishing amount of sustain. I add Marshall overdrive pedal with the gain set to 12 o'clock and an optional delay pedal - along with the built-in reverb this gives me a very versatile and decent tone. Imagine a ZZ Top pre-Eliminator tone with room for more. Using this setting with a distortion pedal at full blast instead of the overdrive gives you a rich and sustainy, sometimes fuzzy lead-tone like David Gilmour's.

I have to say though, that I am using this amp kind of as a speaker only, the way I have set it up. The tones and channels it comes with are absolute crap. There is nothing to argue about that ...

For little at-home and practice amps I would suggest looking into the Peavey Bandit Transtube series, they have a very nice tone at low volumes, are built steadily and fairly affortable. For example the Peavey Bandit 112 Transtube

Hope, I could help!
This is not a signature
If you got it for free then there is no point getting rid of it in a hurry. non-valve Spiders are universally hated here but it works as a practice amp. Its not like it would hinder your progress, unless of course you get so tired of its sound that it demotivates you from practicing.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at May 13, 2013,
Quote by MaaZeus
If you got it for free then there is no point getting rid of it in a hurry. non-valve Spiders are universally hated here but it works as a practice amp.

Agreed.

They work just fine as practice amps. Save up for a nice one to replace it with rather than buy something that's not really much better. What's wrong with the Epi anyway?
A practice amp can be anything, but the newer line 6s are better than the old one.
However I still don't understand the gain function on those amps.
I like to make the gain hotter by twisting the knob, not pressing a button for the next stage
Quote by PSimonR
Agreed.

They work just fine as practice amps. Save up for a nice one to replace it with rather than buy something that's not really much better. What's wrong with the Epi anyway?

Yeah, whats up with the Epi? Its propably not the best guitar in the price range, but unless there is something really wrong that passed up QC, take it to a guitar store with good luthier for new strings and most of all a proper set-up. If its still in factory settings, I bet it will feel like a different guitar after luthier has taken a look at string height, neck bow and so on.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
When you say you're "new back to the scene", do you mean you're completely new & just learning to play or did you play before and are just getting back into it?

If you're completely new, then you have a decent learner setup. Use it to learn & save your money for when you're ready to buy premium kit. As you have a usable setup, there's no point upgrading a bit, then upgrading again later.

If you're just getting back into it after some time off though, you may already be ready for premium kit - for that answer the questions in the 3rd post.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Lavatain
The Spider isn't rated very highly in these forums, nor anywhere that isn't trying to get your money from buying one.

Fill these in and people can help you:

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.

well my budget right now owuld have to be between 1-3 hundred bucks. Im not sure if this is enough for a decent amp but i can always save more up.

I like to play around the board music. When im on my electric i like to play ACDC/Zepplin/Eagles/Eric clapton/some pennywise/ and these are just some of the artist that i already know how to play some of they're songs or riffs.

I dont gig, im not a great guitarist. i just like to plug in at home and blow the roof off.

I like in Orange COunty CA so i am inbetween LA and San Diego, but there are alot of guitar centers and just in general guitar stores around my area.

Right now I just bought a brand new Epiphone Les Paul Special II, I have a Line 6 Spider II to plug that into and a brand new Boss DS-1 pedal. The Amp is prolly 10 years old. maybe not quite that much but its old. My brother gave it to me after i started playing again.
Quote by GaryBillington
When you say you're "new back to the scene", do you mean you're completely new & just learning to play or did you play before and are just getting back into it?

If you're completely new, then you have a decent learner setup. Use it to learn & save your money for when you're ready to buy premium kit. As you have a usable setup, there's no point upgrading a bit, then upgrading again later.

If you're just getting back into it after some time off though, you may already be ready for premium kit - for that answer the questions in the 3rd post.

Well I wouldnt say I ever got really into the electric guitar. i played around on it and learned a few riffs back in highschool but I pretty much just about 6 months ago really got into the whole life style of playing. I wake up playing riffs in my head and go to sleep with my fingers blistered, and almost bloody from jamming till i cant anymore. Its something i REEAALLY do enjoy since ive matured over the years to appreciate it for what it really is. But Ya my set up right now doesnt seem to bad. but i just feel like my amp isnt giving me that quality sound im looking for... However.... i actually have no clue how most of the controls work on it. reset the amp to factory settings and thats the best ive been able to get it to sound. I really dont understand how the Drive, Mid, Bass, and trebble works.. (well i understand a little but not much at all on how to get the best settings)
Quote by MaaZeus
Yeah, whats up with the Epi? Its propably not the best guitar in the price range, but unless there is something really wrong that passed up QC, take it to a guitar store with good luthier for new strings and most of all a proper set-up. If its still in factory settings, I bet it will feel like a different guitar after luthier has taken a look at string height, neck bow and so on.

Nothing is wrong with the Epi. I just said that because i see alot of people on these forums talking about how its alot better to just go with the standard rather than the Special II. The Special II has a different neck, a flat body, some weird knobs that are not technically welded or bound to the neck, kinda like screwed on in a box. and a few other things that i dont remember...

Actually Im quite impressed with it at this point. Ive been jamming way harder on the Grandfather's Epi Les Paul Special II i have now rather than this old late 80's early 90's Stratocaster i had
Quote by dcb4
I really dont understand how the Drive, Mid, Bass, and trebble works.. (well i understand a little but not much at all on how to get the best settings)

Well, in case of Spider the settings go from Garbage to Garbager to Garbagest so I cant blame you.

Ok, back to serious. Dunno whats hard to understand. Drive is how much preamp gain you want meaning how much distortion there is (more is not always better), and EQ knobs are adjusted to your liking. Bass for weight, middle for overall presence (scoop for brittle sharp sound, boost for more presence but can become nasal) and treble for how bright and sharp it is.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Sell it on Craigslist as 'vintage.'
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by MaaZeus
Well, in case of Spider the settings go from Garbage to Garbager to Garbagest so I cant blame you.

Ok, back to serious. Dunno whats hard to understand. Drive is how much preamp gain you want meaning how much distortion there is (more is not always better), and EQ knobs are adjusted to your liking. Bass for weight, middle for overall presence (scoop for brittle sharp sound, boost for more presence but can become nasal) and treble for how bright and sharp it is.

awesome, thanks for this little break down. I know its not too hard to understand Im just not very knowledgable on how amp settings work or even guitar settings in all honesty haha
Quote by dcb4
awesome, thanks for this little break down. I know its not too hard to understand Im just not very knowledgable on how amp settings work or even guitar settings in all honesty haha

Play with stuff

We could tell you all the supposedly correct ways to do things & you could hate it, whereas you might find a sound you like with something we'd never thing to suggest.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Play with stuff

We could tell you all the supposedly correct ways to do things & you could hate it, whereas you might find a sound you like with something we'd never thing to suggest.

Yeah

I do most of the time, Ive learned, in a nut shell, basically what most settings do, but i dont fully understand the entirety of it. Im weird, i feel if i know all the details to everything i can somehow make it work better. which in some ways is true, but most great guitarist were self taught and pretty much entrepreneur's. the reason they were/are so great is because they didnt ask questions to other's, they didnt have forums. they asked themselfs then figured it out on they're own.
Quote by dcb4
Yeah

I do most of the time, Ive learned, in a nut shell, basically what most settings do, but i dont fully understand the entirety of it. Im weird, i feel if i know all the details to everything i can somehow make it work better. which in some ways is true, but most great guitarist were self taught and pretty much entrepreneur's. the reason they were/are so great is because they didnt ask questions to other's, they didnt have forums. they asked themselfs then figured it out on they're own.

That's how I did it. The internet wasn't around when I first started playing, I just got shown the basic chords then I figured everything else out for myself.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
It's a crap amp, sure, but it's good enough to learn on. Save your pennies for something really good. You don't need anything remarkable until you start gigging. Start a bank account specifically as your amp fund and just keep adding to it. You'll get there. Don't be in a rush, these things take time. Patience is a virtue.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Patience is a virtue best left to the dead, who can afford it.

FTFY...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin

Well aren't you a good little consumer.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone