[forbidden link]
[forbidden link]

Between these two - opinions?
Opinions on other perfect options for 80s metal and hair metal?
Also want a bit of versatility!
EVH 5150 III 50 2 x 12" Guitar Combo Amplifier
Marshall MG101CFX 1x12" Guitar Combo Amp

those are the link items
Whatever you do, avoid MG. Way overpriced for what it offers. You can get used non-AVT Marshall Valvestate 8080 for a fraction of the price and its much, much superior.

Please, fill this out however.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497696

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Depending on where you live, see if you can find a used RG100es. Its a solid state beast from the 80's that George Lynch from Dokken helped Randall develop because he needed more gain. More famously, Dimebag used these for the first few albums. It'll do 80s metal all day long, and they're cheap as hell these days.I picked mine up for $100 a few months ago.
Last edited by ExDementia at May 13, 2013,
Quote by lilcroissant
EVH 5150 III 50 2 x 12" Guitar Combo Amplifier
Marshall MG101CFX 1x12" Guitar Combo Amp

Those two amps can't even be compared to each other. 5150 is better. In fact, MG can suck 5150's dick.
the 5150iii would be perfect...I feel like this is a troll honestly
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
The 5150 will get you closest, but honestly, if you want to nail that 80s metal tone you can't go amp alone, you need to go rack.

Get something like a Carvin Quad X Preamp, (which I own and nails 80s metal tone), paired with a GMajor 2 into a tube amp is going to get you exactly what you want.
Quote by Wesbanez

+
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by 6505fiz
The 5150 will get you closest, but honestly, if you want to nail that 80s metal tone you can't go amp alone, you need to go rack.

Get something like a Carvin Quad X Preamp, (which I own and nails 80s metal tone), paired with a GMajor 2 into a tube amp is going to get you exactly what you want.

Wouldn't it be easier to get an amp which was actually used in the 80's for metal? Such as JCM800 for example?
Quote by JackovSlayer
Wouldn't it be easier to get an amp which was actually used in the 80's for metal? Such as JCM800 for example?

In my opinion, no... I've used a lot of stereotypical "hair metal" amps, and for whatever reason, find reaching the tone easier when I have a separate preamp and poweramp solution.

I've mentioned the Carvin, but of course using an Marshall JMP-1 preamp works just as well. So does a Mesa Quad.

Plenty of options.

Again, it's just my personal experience... but I've always been able to absolutely nail the 80s tone that way, with a standard off the shelf amp, it's always proven more difficult for me.

COULD just be me though.
...although I should add, buying 20 year old rack gear can sometimes lead to quite a bit of service time.

There's a lot to be said for the peace of mind of a brand new purchase.
Yeah I definitely sense a troll comparing a 5150 to a MG. What about a Laney GH50 or 100??
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
Jcm 800
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Quote by British_Steal
Jcm 800

+tubescreamer.

Doesnt get more '80s metal than that.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by 6505fiz
...although I should add, buying 20 year old rack gear can sometimes lead to quite a bit of service time.

There's a lot to be said for the peace of mind of a brand new purchase.

Marshall started producing JCM800 2203 reissue few years ago, but I don't know is the reissue the same as the original JCM800 made in 1980s.
Carvin X100b. I have one with 4x12. No effects, just guitar straight into the amp. You won't need anything else. Just dial in the knobs right. Trust me, I love 80s metal. Def Leppard, Dokken, Crue, Hardline, Ratt etc.
Quote by MaaZeus
+tubescreamer.

Doesnt get more '80s metal than that.
Except for a SLO.

Not sure if serious TS. The 5150 III outclasses the MG by so much that you may as well be asking what to enter in an F1 between a Scuderia Ferrari and a Smart car.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I didn't even notice that I copy and pasted the MG! That was definitively supposed to be between 5150 and Jcm800! I sent that to someone else so I must not have re copied the other Marshall link name.
^ way to back track

But anyway - thanks for the clarification. The 5153 will be way more versatile than the JCM 800 but not quite as raw. The 5153 will also have a lot more low end.

Let's start over:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31052894&postcount=2

Otherwise, I'll recommend something from Splawn Amplification.

Quote by JackovSlayer
Marshall started producing JCM800 2203 reissue few years ago, but I don't know is the reissue the same as the original JCM800 made in 1980s.

I wouldn't bother with the reissues.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at May 14, 2013,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

I wouldn't bother with the reissues.

Why not? Outside of different transformers and components made by different companies which do change the sound a little bit, they are still basically a same damn thing. No?

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
And cost more than a real vertical 2203. No?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
And cost more than a real vertical 2203. No?

Good point.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Splawn.

Did I do good?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Concerning the Soldano SLO100 suggestions, it would cost you ridiculous money, essencially a Peavey 5150 is an SLO100 copy, and a Peavey 6505 is identical to a 5150. So why not go for a Peavey 6505? Still though a Fender 5150III should get you there and is a nice change from the absolute army of 6505 users out there.

You could go Splawn and do the Eddie Van Halen and Marshall brown sound thing, that's what I'd do personally.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at May 14, 2013,
6505 isn't want you want for 80s

A SLO would be the best option, but those will run you 2800

JCM800 and a rat for a boost will get you there.
So will a Jet City 20H on a tighter budget and lower wattage. They also do a 100W version if you need the power.
Youd still need a boost with either. Tubescreamer or a rat.
Quote by Bigbazz
Concerning the Soldano SLO100 suggestions, it would cost you ridiculous money, essencially a Peavey 5150 is an SLO100 copy, and a Peavey 6505 is identical to a 5150. So why not go for a Peavey 6505? Still though a Fender 5150III should get you there and is a nice change from the absolute army of 6505 users out there.

You could go Splawn and do the Eddie Van Halen and Marshall brown sound thing, that's what I'd do personally.

5150/6505 is not a copy of the SLO. There is no cathode follower to be found on the 5150's. it's not semantics.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT
5150/6505 is not a copy of the SLO. There is no cathode follower to be found on the 5150's. it's not semantics.

You didn't hear the story of how the 5150 came to be? It is very much an SLO100 copy. I remember seeing an in depth article about it years ago, with talk of when they were designing it, it was too long ago for me to remember any details but from what I remember over the years the 5150 has long been thought of as an SLO100 clone, even if it isn't identical the way it sounds is attribute enough to it being a believable story.

To throw a video in the mix, you listen to these amps together, very similar though this is the 6505+ based on the 5150II.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT3vnSro458
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Quote by darkwolf291
Well the 6505 was inspired by the SLO, yes, but they're two different amps that sound different.
A SLO is mainly a hotrodded JCM with a few tweaks.

I beg to differ, always thought they sounded very similar, and the first video I find on youtube would agree with that, definitely in the same ballpark and neither sound very Marshall like.

What you say about the SLO being mainly a hotrodded JCM I cant argue with either way because I simply just don't know, but I do know it doesn't sound anything like a Marshall and is running a different style of poweramp.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Everything is a Fender Deluxe

TS, get a Champ. It's basically a smaller JCM800.

(No, don't do that)
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
1. buy a dumble
2. disregard bitches
3. sell dumble, acquire swag, buy a wall of MGs the length of the great wall of china
4. ?????
5. profit
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.