Looking to play out of two amps simultaneously. I bought a switch box a while back and the hum/feedback was terrible, unbearable, when both amps were engaged. I'm guessing it was because it was a cheap one, anyone know of a really good quality one with zero noise issues? I will be playing out of two mesa tube heads (dual rec and dual caliber dc-5)

Edit: the splitter I was using was a Morley. Super bad hum and feedback when both amps were engaged and super loud pops whenever switching amps.
Last edited by jsnow08 at May 13, 2013,
I have a radial one I think...works good for me
Gretsch 5120
Fender Jazzmaster
MIM Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Misc Pedals
I built one for $15 and I get no hum Mine is only an A or B switch though.
Ibanez
Universe UV777 Signed by Steve Vai
Prestige RG2027X with Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
Like I said in your other thread I don't think an A/B/Y pedal is going to work when you have one cab.

So your guitar is plugged into your ABY pedal and the out A > Dual Rec and B > Dual Cal and then what?
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at May 14, 2013,
Quote by thebestjoe
I built one for $15 and I get no hum Mine is only an A or B switch though.

The problem comes into play when you use both at the same time. It forms a ground loop and causes hum.

Radial makes the best ABY pedal that gets around this.

As 311 said you need either 2 cabs or a stereo cab.

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
something off this website. dont let the appearance fool you...so it doesnt have a decal. has nothing to do with its function. or you can pay 200 for the same thing with stickers on em....

http://www.loop-master.com/index.php?cPath=26&osCsid=3ph6sc0l31pirgdv5e1t9pgfn3

or something off this site:

http://www.nosepedal.com/store/nose-abc-line-switcher
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Holy crap, I really hope you're not trying to use two heads through the same mono cab with a standard A/B/Y. If you're doing that you're lucky the heads are still making noise at all.
Radial Twin City.

If you don't want all the features the Twin City has, then just have someone build you one or build your own for dirt cheap.

EDIT: What cab do you have?

If you have a mono cab, Radial makes a head switcher for that.

http://www.tonebone.com/tb-headbone-vt.htm

I don't think you can run both at once that way though.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at May 14, 2013,
you can do an A/B in a mono right? just not A/B/Y running both heads at once into the cab....right?

and in scenario 1, the ehads need ohms to match the cab.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Like I said in your other thread I don't think an A/B/Y pedal is going to work when you have one cab.

So your guitar is plugged into your ABY pedal and the out A > Dual Rec and B > Dual Cal and then what?

Quote by Roc8995
Holy crap, I really hope you're not trying to use two heads through the same mono cab with a standard A/B/Y. If you're doing that you're lucky the heads are still making noise at all.

I have a mesa 4x10 cab. Was thinking about giving 4 ohms to each head (so making it a 2x10 for each head) or buying another cab
You can either buy another cab or wire your existing cab to stereo operation (thus splitting the 4x10 in half). Lots of 4x12s are wired in series/parallel which will give you a stereo option. I have a diagram somewhere:

> see below

here is the other thread for reference.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1601339

I'm guessing at this point that the crappy sound you are hearing is due to running the heads (together) incorrectly. My first goal would be to make sure that the individual heads (or the cab) have not been damaged. Do they sound normal when cranked individually?

Here you go:

This is series/parallel wiring. I'm surprised you Mesa cab is not wired this way. If you have 16 phm speakers then you have either 16 ohms total in mono or 8 ohms on each side in stereo. You will need a new jack plate and then new wiring as such. Run each head at 8 ohms (in the example above) and A/B/Y to your hearts content.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at May 14, 2013,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
You can either buy another cab or wire your existing cab to stereo operation (thus splitting the 4x10 in half). Lots of 4x12s are wired in series/parallel which will give you a stereo option. I have a diagram somewhere:

> see below

here is the other thread for reference.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1601339

I'm guessing at this point that the crappy sound you are hearing is due to running the heads (together) incorrectly. My first goal would be to make sure that the individual heads (or the cab) have not been damaged. Do they sound normal when cranked individually?

Here you go:

This is series/parallel wiring. I'm surprised you Mesa cab is not wired this way. If you have 16 phm speakers then you have either 16 ohms total in mono or 8 ohms on each side in stereo. You will need a new jack plate and then new wiring as such. Run each head at 8 ohms (in the example above) and A/B/Y to your hearts content.

I'm sorry I meant 4x12, not 4x10. I looked up the specs and it says its 8 ohm mono and 4ohm stereo. http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Guitar%20Cabinets/RECTOcabs/Recto4x12SDst-LG.htm

So would I still need to convert my cab or could I run from both my head's 4 ohm jacks out to two of my cabs 4 ohm inputs?
If your cab can split which sounds like it can then do it. Just run 4ohms from your head out to each side. Try one head at a time and go from there.

Typically the only time hum comes into play is if you are running both amps at the same time. That's were the radial ABY is needed.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT
If your cab can split which sounds like it can then do it. Just run 4ohms from your head out to each side. Try one head at a time and go from there.

Typically the only time hum comes into play is if you are running both amps at the same time. That's were the radial ABY is needed.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
4 ohm to 4 ohm on each side. Just make sure the watts on heads do not overload the watts on the cab

My dual cal is 50w and my dual rec is 100w, my cab is 240w. So I should be good?

Thanks for the advice guys, when my switch gets here ill try it out and let you know how it goes.
Just so we're clear, you absolutely cannot use the switch between the head and cab. You have to use it between the guitar and head.
Quote by Roc8995
Just so we're clear, you absolutely cannot use the switch between the head and cab. You have to use it between the guitar and head.

Yeah, both my heads would be plugged into the A and B outputs on the switch box, my guitar would be plugged into the input of the switch box. My heads would be connected from their 4 ohm outputs to each of my 4x12 cabs 4 ohm inputs, stereo style.
Came here to say Radial Twin City, Offworld92 beat me to it.
The 180º and Lift switches are very useful, and if you were able to afford two Mesas you'll have no problem with the $160 street price.