As a de-tuned 6 string player I've decided to jump for my first 8 string... I played around with an rg8 enough to get me wanting an 8 string, but dont know of anywhere local to try out an Agile. At around the same, price the Agile looks better, and I've heard (on Youtube) the pickups are slightly better, but I dont know much about the brand in general.

Anyone have any insight on either of these guitars or a different guitar around the same price that I should check out?
Main thing is that agile's got a lot more options like scale length, colour, trem and so on. Agiles also have passive pickups if you want that, which makes it easier if you want new pups in- you have less choice with the active housings in ibby's, which as you say have some iffy pickups

I'd say a standard ibby and agile have about the same build quality, though a prestige ibby will be noticeably superior; though so will the price.

Schecter makes 8 strings in the same price range, Dean are releasing some models this year as well, but I have no experience with them.

I have a Septor 827 with d-activators in, it's very nice
It's all up to what you want. The main starting 8 strings people will get are either Schecters, LTDs, Agile or Ibanez. They're all completely different to each other spec wise and all sound and play different. Avoid getting an 8 string with a scale length shorter than 26.5''.

The Ibanez 8s have a really thin neck so it's really comfortable to play due to the neck being wide. Ibanez also have a wider string spacing in my experience so the necks are wider than LTD and Schecter.

Agile have tonnes of different specs that you can get which is a main selling point of these guitars. The neck is very similar to the ibanez, but it is slightly thicker. Still feels comfortable.

Schecter are weirder again, the string spacing is closer together so the width of the neck is smaller but the necks to me feel like baseball bats. They're just so round and uncomfortable to me. The 26.5'' scale sounds different to the 27'' but it's not too noticeable.

LTD are similar to the schecter, but not as thick I found. The 25.5'' scale is terrible and just can't hold a Low E very well IMO. I tried one the other day and it was yuck, but the overall construction was nice, just didn't suit what I like.

Out of the 4 main ones I'd suggest either Agile or Ibanez but don't be afraid to try schecters. A lot of people really like them but I just haven't found one that I like.

I currently own an Agile Septor Elite 827 and an Ibanez RG2228aGW. The Ibanez being prestige is way better than the Agile but the Agile is still great.
You'll want to look into this, but I think the Agile return policy allows you to send any guitar back if you just don't like it. I think you'd have to foot the bill for return shipping though.
Quote by W4RP1G
You'll want to look into this, but I think the Agile return policy allows you to send any guitar back if you just don't like it. I think you'd have to foot the bill for return shipping though.

Usually this is true. Also if you have to do a return cause of damages Kurt usually refunds the cost of shipping. From what I can tell the RG8 have an issue with the necks warping, I tried checking a couple out at a GC and one of them had a warped neck, also a few people I talked to that owned RG8 complained of warped necks.
Some people seem to ****ing love Agiles...

I mean LOVE.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.