Hi.

I have a technical question. Somewhere round here I found somebody telling, that even a solid state amp can´t be used without a cab because instead of frying the power tubes you kill the output transformer or something.... Did I get that right?

And then one more thing: if an amp has a headphone output, it´s designed to be used without a cab too, naturally. So if I want to connect my amp straight into the mixer, without a cabinet, do I have to use the headphone out for the connection to the mixer?

Or generally: how do I connect an amp only to a mixer, with no cabinet connected to the amp? I´m asking this here, because I´m thinking about buying a bass amp and I also want to use it with my small home mixer, occasionally. But the one I´m after, has no headphone out: Hartke HA2500.... Do I have to choose a one with a headphone out? Or?

Thanx in advance for all your replies!
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
You probably would not damage your solid state amplifier if you switched it on without it being connected to a cabinet (or something along those lines), but there is no point in doing that so I would avoid it if possible. Besides, if you get in the habit of doing that, you might one day confuse a tube amp with your solid state amp and then you'll have an expensive repair bill on your hands.

If you want to go from an amplifier to a mixer board, your amp should have a DI Out on the back somehwere.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
No, you won't do any damage turning on a solid state amp with no load attached. I do this regularly with mine to use the pre-amp whilst recording.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Quote by FatalGear41
You probably would not damage your solid state amplifier if you switched it on without it being connected to a cabinet (or something along those lines), but there is no point in doing that so I would avoid it if possible. Besides, if you get in the habit of doing that, you might one day confuse a tube amp with your solid state amp and then you'll have an expensive repair bill on your hands.

If you want to go from an amplifier to a mixer board, your amp should have a DI Out on the back somehwere.

....so if there´s a DI out on the amp, is it safe to connect it to the mixer board only? Because there is one on that Hartke I mentioned....
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Quote by Airfish
....so if there´s a DI out on the amp, is it safe to connect it to the mixer board only? Because there is one on that Hartke I mentioned....

That is essentially what it is there for. What model Hartke amp do you have? (Hartke bass amps are criminally underrated; at least here in the U.S.A. Kudos for picking a good amp!)
Quote by FatalGear41
That is essentially what it is there for. What model Hartke amp do you have? (Hartke bass amps are criminally underrated; at least here in the U.S.A. Kudos for picking a good amp!)

I don´t have any yet, but I´m circling around the HA 2500. I´ve read a few reviews and all folks say it´s a great buy for the buck.... been considering G&K previously, but the more midrangy (yet still far from being dull) Hartke sound feels better to my ears. I don´t slap, I play mostly finger style, bridge pickup....
Quote by FatalGear41
Well; here's the manual for the HA-Series amps:

http://www.samsontech.com/site_media/legacy_docs/2000_3500_manual.pdf

It mentions the HA-2000 model, which does not have a DI Out. However, you can use the "Effects Send" out to run into a mixer.

Thanx for the manual!
However, the HA2500 for sure has the DI output, at least the version they sell here in Europe (in case it´s different from the US one....).
So then there should be no problem connecting it to the mixer.

BTW why do you say Hartke is underrated on your side of the pond? People don´t buy them amps? Or what´s the issue?
Despite some big-name endorsements, you just don't see a lot of people buying Hartke amps. I think that in the U.S.A., the chain store Sam Ash has the exclusive or near-exclusive rights to sell them, so they aren't seen in a lot of shops. But even when they are available, a lot of bassists just overlook them. If Victor Wooten is playing them, you have to figure they are doing something right.
You can usually use an SS amp into no load without problems, a few of the older amps went into oscillation under no load so this is almost but not quite 100%. Keep the master volume down. You don't mention speakers however so why do you want an amp? You can record a bass by plugging it straight into your mixer. Most studios do this and do the tone shaping after recording a clean signal. If you want to do tone shaping first then you can get a dedicated bass pre amp from Behringer, Boss, Sansamp and others. These will have headphone outputs too or run headphones from your desk.
Quote by Phil Starr
You can usually use an SS amp into no load without problems, a few of the older amps went into oscillation under no load so this is almost but not quite 100%. Keep the master volume down. You don't mention speakers however so why do you want an amp? You can record a bass by plugging it straight into your mixer. Most studios do this and do the tone shaping after recording a clean signal. If you want to do tone shaping first then you can get a dedicated bass pre amp from Behringer, Boss, Sansamp and others. These will have headphone outputs too or run headphones from your desk.

Yep, I know I could buy a preamp, I´ve heard BBE BMAX and Tech 21 Sansamp RBI.... and a couple of cheap ones like the Behringer bass V-amp, but that one sounded a bit plastic to me.... But I also need an amp for garage jams with my friends. And I don´t have a budget to buy both a preamp and a normal amp. I need one piece to do both jobs. That´s why....