I have an American Standard Strat, a TS9 Tubescreamer, and a Peavey Classic 30 amp. When I turn the amp volume all the way up on the clean channel, set the Tubescreamer to 0 Gain and about 12:00 Level, and turn my guitar volume knob down to 3, I can sometimes hear static. It's usually when I hit the strings really hard, especially the low E, or chords on the B and high E strings. The static only lasts a split second when I hit those strings. It doesn't happen all the time.

With the volume and Tubescreamer set that high, I can hear static when I turn the volume control knob.

Is it the preamp that's boosting static I wouldn't otherwise hear, or do you think I have a bad volume pot or loose connection?

Replies much appreciated.
My money would be on the guitar's pot. Have you tried another guitar?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
first try a different guitar and cable eliminate everything from chain and add it back one by one.

another thought if the above may not work, make sure your tubes are properly seated, and that the pins are tight enough. i have had that happen on one or two amps (can't remember at the moment), both had the tubes facing down (think combo amp controls on side/angle), just rattle a bit loose.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thanks for the replies. I tried my other guitar, and that didn't do it. I started with just one cable, checked both guitars, tried another cable and both guitars, added the TS then both guitars, but nothing. I played both hard, but nothing.

Then I noticed that when I'm strumming hard across all the strings (which I do a lot) that I often hit the knuckle of my little finger on the volume pot. When I did that a few times, I got static on the American Standard Strat. It would go away if I rotated the knob a few times. My frequent rapping on that knob must have done a little damage to the guts of the control or the connections.

I guess I'll have to put one of the spare volume/tone pots in it. I have to change out strings anyway.