Are you actually strumming all of the strings like the pictures show because that first one looks like a total cluster**** with A, A#, & B all in the same chord.
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginear
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
Quote by Monkeyslunch
Hello everyone, I'm writing a song with some awkward chords and I can't seem to find their names anywhere, If anyone here could be so kind as to tell me what they are called I would be very grateful!

The first one seems to be suggesting an F#7 if you take away the open B. If you really want that dissonant sound, name the interval as a compound interval to the F#7 chord. B is a Perfect 11th so F#7add11.

The 2nd one is based on the E chord but contains no 3rd so could be suggesting E major OR Em depending on your key so is named E5 PLUS the A#, an augmented 11th from E so E5add#11

Your 3rd chord is a Gmajor triad on the 6th 5th and 4th and 2nd string, the open E is a major 6th so G6 and if we still call the 3rd string note an A# (it should be named after the key you are in, what it the note name of the central sound? what is the overall mood of the music? which notes 'belong', which are anomalies?) ANYHOW. A# is an augmented 9th from G, (Bb is a minor 10th) so G6add#9

I'm not really sure how serious you are about these sounds, but this was a fun exercise in naming and explaining. Cheers
Last edited by P_Trik at May 14, 2013,
Quote by P_Trik
The first one seems to be suggesting an F#7 if you take away the open B. If you really want that dissonant sound, name the interval as a compound interval to the F#7 chord. B is a Perfect 11th so F#7add11.

The 2nd one is based on the E chord but contains no 3rd so could be suggesting E major OR Em depending on your key so is named E5 PLUS the A#, an augmented 11th from E so E5add#11

Your 3rd chord is a Gmajor triad on the 6th 5th and 4th and 2nd string, the open E is a major 6th so G6 and if we still call the 3rd string note an A# (it should be named after the key you are in, what it the note name of the central sound? what is the overall mood of the music? which notes 'belong', which are anomalies?) ANYHOW. A# is an augmented 9th from G, (Bb is a minor 10th) so G6add#9

I'm not really sure how serious you are about these sounds, but this was a fun exercise in naming and explaining. Cheers

Thank you so much! You explain it so well!