Page 1 of 2
I've noticed that when making meals at home we always seem to throw away like half of what we cook up. Its just hard to cook for two people.

For some reason, I am totally grossed out by the idea of "leftovers". After about a few hours, I won't dare mess with old food. I know I'm weird about this. Most people will eat food from the fridge for at least two days.

My question to you is, how long is too long?
too long = potential food poisoning, visible fungi that were not present earlier, etc.

so anywhere from a few days to 3 weeks, depending on the food and where's it's been stored.
cat
Two people is fairly easy to cook for.

I'll keep and eat leftovers for 3-4 days most of the time. It really depends on what it is of course. Some things aren't good once you heat them up again.
Quote by 5_Years_Dead
I've noticed that when making meals at home we always seem to throw away like half of what we cook up. Its just hard to cook for two people.

Erm, why not just cook with half the ingredients?

For some reason, I am totally grossed out by the idea of "leftovers". After about a few hours, I won't dare mess with old food. I know I'm weird about this. Most people will eat food from the fridge for at least two days.

2-3 days for anything cooked. Longer than 3 goes in the bin regardless of whether it can last longer because by that point it has usually gone stale/dry/soggy/other various undesirable texture.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
once I was gone for 2 and a half weeks and I ate a slice of pizza that was in my fridge the whole time. And I was fine.
Well, in my house, we aren't wasteful, and we know that if you properly store foods in a container and put it into the refrigerator it won't go bad. We always put dinner leftovers away and get a free lunch the next day or 2.
I had spaghetti in the fridge for 2 weeks once. I didn't get sick or anything from eating it so no harm done I guess.
Leftovers are the bomb! And you can't cook for 2 people? Really??
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Quote by 5_Years_Dead

And that sir, is why you are a wasteful cunt.

Get over yourself or start cooking only what you need, throwing away food honestly wtf is wrong with you.
If there's leftovers of something I like I'll save some if I can and know I can eat it long before it goes bad. A lil e Coli never killed anyone.
Up to a week maybe

But I tend to make stuff like stir-fry in excess with the intention of saving half if not most of it for future meals.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
If you put your leftover in the fridge it's absolutely fine to eat several days afterwards as well (give or take a couple of days depending on what the leftovers are of course), throwing away like half of what you cook sounds absolutely insane to me, my dad has always told me about how his parents were really poor and could barely afford proper meals every day, so he has always saved absolutely all food that's left over.

What exactly grosses you out with leftovers?
depends what it is like sushi i would never have left overs but most stuff ill wait a few days like 4
Quote by tukk04
And that sir, is why you are a wasteful cunt.

Get over yourself or start cooking only what you need, throwing away food honestly wtf is wrong with you.

I deserve that.
depends on the food but i often eat th eleft overs later that night after work or for lunch the next day

i cant afford ot be that waste ful

dud edo you know just how much money on food youre throwing away
2 people is the easier number to cook for its an even number and most recipies are even just divide that shit
It depends on what it is. Also try rewarming food in the oven, it makes it taste alot better than a microwave.
Quote by supersac

i cant afford ot be that wasteful

dude do you know just how much money on food youre throwing away

Maybe you missed my "food babies" thread. But I make like $300 a week just hanging out in the bathroom at work.
I'm gonna share this thread with my girlfriend since she does all the cooking and let her know what everyone here thinks of her wasteful habits.

I agree, its no excuse that we are kinda wealthy. Being upper middle class (or is it lower upper class) comes with certain responsibilities.
Starving kids in Africa....

I hate when my roommates leave shit in the fridge for weeks and never finish it. I'll usually finish whatever I cooked for myself within two days. Oh, and cooking for two is very easy compared to cooking for yourself.
I've eaten hotdogs from an open package that were a few months old. They were kinda grey. I survived.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Quote by 5_Years_Dead
Maybe you missed my "food babies" thread. But I make like $300 a week just hanging out in the bathroom at work.

i did see that thread didt read through it though

i will say though....i hate you for making alot more money than me

lower middle class...or upper lower class sucks
I always ended miscalculating when cooking at uni, and so i put the rest of whatever the food was in a bowl and put it in the fridge, i usually either ate it the next day or later in the evening if i got hungry.

With most leftovers, one day in the fridge shouldn't do too much harm, although any longer than that and it could start to go bad.

Throwing away anything more than half a portion of something straight after cooking it seems really wasteful to me, you gotta make that food count.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by 5_Years_Dead

I was in disagreement with you this entire thread until I read this post. That's when I realized I'm not so different. I do try to not throw out food, however, and leftovers are awesome.
You can generally keep stuff in your fridge for 3 days if it's been cooked.

Also, think about how long some foods stay in your fridge/cupboard/supermarket before you eat them. You'll either start getting grossed out by those foods too or you realise you're acting way too first-world for the general well-being in this world.
Quote by frankv
You can generally keep stuff in your fridge until it's noticeably mouldy and rotten.

fixd

you guys are all immense faggots
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by macashmack
Well, in my house, we aren't wasteful, and we know that if you properly store foods in a container and put it into the refrigerator it won't go bad. We always put dinner leftovers away and get a free lunch the next day or 2.

+1
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
I live alone, it is pretty common for me to cook a crap load of meat one day then eat it all week. Grill some chicken, then have tacos, pasta, rice or whatever as dinner for the entire week.
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
I generally make myself a fresh meal once a week, whether or not there's still some leftover.
"Pain or damage don't end the world nor despair, nor fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead, until then you have more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
Last edited by Toadvine at May 14, 2013,
Quote by sam b
No it isnt

At all.

Hes right.

You're just lazy. =P
Ive been there. So, it seems like a pain to cook but its really not.
Wait till you have to start worrying for 4+people. (well, if you ever want/have to that is)

Then you'll really hate cooking haha.

As for the leftovers.... Well have you ever had nothing to eat but Peanut Butter for a week+ cause that's all you have and you have no money? Probably not if you are weird about old food. In my life I have learned to not waste any food because Ive been to the point where all I have to eat are condiments. Many times. And it ****ing sucks. So, no. I always eat my left overs if I have any.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Last edited by Fallenoath at May 14, 2013,
Page 1 of 2