I've been playing a lot of acoustic the last 4-5 months, flamenco in particular and my rasgueado strumming has improved tremendously but i feel like not having longer fingernails is limiting my potential..
Not cutting my nails isn't an option because I'm a chronic nail biter. I have been since i was a child and I'll never break the habit. Never. It's simple as that.
It would also appear that most people suggest against using those weird finger picks on each finger.
Right now I'm mainly interested in tremolo picking. I want to do it but i just can't with my fingers.. I don't exactly know the right technique i should be applying but watching all these professional flamenco players.. they all have long nails and it's something I'll never have.
I'm definitely not a person to believe in mimicking exactly what a professional guitarist will do. I'm a firm believer of creating my own individual, unique and of course efficient technique and style, but it just seems like in this one style of music nails are something i need.
So anyone that knows flamenco / classical playing well or even better is a great player of the genre themselves.. Any advice / feedback would be extremely appreciated. Or even a video of sorts to get me in the right direction, because as i said i don't know exactly what I'm looking for.. I think picado is the right technique i should be looking into but I'm still not sure.

Thanks in advance
Last edited by vayne92 at May 14, 2013,
If you want to tremolo pick you will need real fingernails. You can try using finger picks but I guarantee you it will sound clacky. I was a chronic nail-biter for a long time too but I started playing classical guitar and just decided to quit. I'm actually kind of obsessed with taking care of them now.
Quote by pandaburger19
If you want to tremolo pick you will need real fingernails. You can try using finger picks but I guarantee you it will sound clacky. I was a chronic nail-biter for a long time too but I started playing classical guitar and just decided to quit. I'm actually kind of obsessed with taking care of them now.

It sounds so nice in theory to just stop biting my nails but I've never been able to.. I'm 20 years old and i can't even remember when it started.. I used to have it so bad when i was about 10 years old I'd chew the flesh off my knuckles it was that bad. I still have a small deformity (not really visible anymore) on my knuckle from biting my knuckles until they'd bleed haha.
I've tried quitting before many times but i rarely can even last 24 hours. I've just come to accept it. It's always been a horrible habit I've had. biting my nails and the flesh beneath it. It can get pretty bad sometimes, but I don't have noticeably ****ed up monster fingers haha.
So yeah, I don't mean to sound stubborn when i say not biting my nails isn't an option, but it really just isn't an option.
Last edited by vayne92 at May 14, 2013,
nah man i used ot bite my nails alot too but then i started working on my clasical guitar nails
kidna obsessed over making sure their nice now haha
occasionally ill forget and bite my pinkie or ring finger but for th emost part im okay

but yeah like any habit itll probably be a while before you can really remove it
Something you could try is developing a different habit that takes over nail biting. I always carry a zippo around with me and flip it about when I'm bored. Maybe something like that could help you. Eventually you'll probably reach a point where you're having a hard time progressing in your classical music without nails.
You will need nails to do tremolo, but they don't need to be really long. Your nail shouldn't be longer than the tip of your finger. And you can still chew the nails off of your other hand.
I dunno where you live but I know that a lot of classical and flamenco guitarists go to nail parlours to get fake nails put and/or harden their original nail. The same places women go to get pedicures or whatever it's called. It might seem a bit "camp" but you could always go do that, it might help stop you biting them too. You don't have to get nails done really fancy, they'll just put something on to harden the nail.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by vayne92
I've been playing a lot of acoustic the last 4-5 months, flamenco in particular and my rasgueado strumming has improved tremendously but i feel like not having longer fingernails is limiting my potential..
Not cutting my nails isn't an option because I'm a chronic nail biter. I have been since i was a child and I'll never break the habit. Never. It's simple as that.
It would also appear that most people suggest against using those weird finger picks on each finger.
Right now I'm mainly interested in tremolo picking. I want to do it but i just can't with my fingers.. I don't exactly know the right technique i should be applying but watching all these professional flamenco players.. they all have long nails and it's something I'll never have.
I'm definitely not a person to believe in mimicking exactly what a professional guitarist will do. I'm a firm believer of creating my own individual, unique and of course efficient technique and style, but it just seems like in this one style of music nails are something i need.
So anyone that knows flamenco / classical playing well or even better is a great player of the genre themselves.. Any advice / feedback would be extremely appreciated. Or even a video of sorts to get me in the right direction, because as i said i don't know exactly what I'm looking for.. I think picado is the right technique i should be looking into but I'm still not sure.

Thanks in advance

Chronic nail-biter here.

I've been going for an Elliott Smith sound lately so I decided to kick the habit. Four weeks and haven't bitten the nails on my right hand yet and they really help make a cool sound.

Took a few days to actually quit biting them, and now I just bite the hell out of my left nails to make up for it.
If ur that bad about ur nails u probably got some personal issues to deal with. U must be really stressed! That being said if bitting ur nails is more important than developing an artistic skill that lasts a life time then don't even bother wasting ur time learning how to play the guitar. You've just set a boundary that tells me playing guitar is not that important for u. Get a backbone! Soak ur nails in something that tastes nasty. Ur not gonna die if u don't bite ur nails! I'm not trying to be rude, but I can't candy coat it for u either. Are u a candy ass? Get a grip! Playing great guitar will take a lot more years of strenuous effort than stopping that bad habit. Ur asking for help on how to play guitar. How about asking for help to stop biting ur nails?