Hey all,

I've had my Fender Blues Junior 1x12 15W combo for 2 weeks now, and I really like it. I can get plenty of volume without putting the master past like 4. It sounds crisp and clean, and i can get a nice crunch with the pre-amp volume up high and the fat switch on. But I know now after having it, that I want 2 channels and an effects loop. Now, i do not, at this moment, gig at all, but that may change at any time. That being said, I'm looking for something with:

1.) Equal or more wattage (15>=)
2.) All-tube
3.) Combo preferably
4.) At least 2 channels (od/clean)
5.) Reverb-footswitchable or on a 3rd channel would be best-case scenario.
6.) Effects loop

My budget is at $300 plus whatever I get back for returning it. I bought it new for $530, so I'm looking at a total of like $750.

Before I go any further, since I have not mailed it back yet, I might be interested in buying used/trading through craigslist or ebay etc. I have not bought used before, and I am very hesitant to do so, unless I'm sure that I'm not getting ripped off. I have found a Peavey Classic 50 FS/FT for $450 and he is looking more for a trade to a like tube amp. I would be ok to trade my Blues Junior to him, and hopefully that way I won't have to spend any extra money and it would be about how much I'd get back from Amazon anyways. But like i said, I'm hesitant to do this, so any advice for or against this idea is appreciated.
Here is the link to the ad:
http://southjersey.craigslist.org/msg/3768833674.html

I like to play Classic Rock/'Modern' Rock. Think Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Stones, Eagles, Tom Petty for classic and Foo Fighters, Weezer, Muse, Pearl Jam for 'modern' rock. As long as I have the basic 2 channels for clean/od and can get a distortion and all the other pedals i desire, I'll be a happy camper.

My current gear: Ibanex370DX with the imitation Floyd rose bridge and INF3 and INF4 neck/bridge pickups with a INFS1 single-coil middle pickup. Before I bought the Blues Junior I played through a Line 6 Spider III (older, crappier model). I have a Dunlop original crybaby wah, and a Digitech RP55 multi-effects processor which I don't really ever use.

I also have a Epiphone Les Paul Special II guitar as a 'backup' and an Epiphone special Les Paul Bass with an Acoustic B20 amp. Not bad for groovin'. And finally, a Martin acoustic/electric 000X1AE. It's like their cheapest model, but I still love it.

My playing ability/skill is much more than the average bear, but I cant sweep-pick or finger-pick, or do arpeggiated picking patterns, and I can't read music. I'm fine with chords and bar chords and such and the basic/intermediate riffs. I can also tremolo pick pretty dang fast.

Well, I think that's everything. Any help, opinion, advice, what-have-you is ALWAYS appreciated. At least for me it is.
Hi. I love
Muse
and
[highlight]Redheads[/highlight]
traynor ycv50b or kustom coupé spring to mind. the peavey classic 50 you're looking at (assuming it's broadly similar to the classic 30 i've tried, i haven't tried the 50) should work, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well my tweaker 40 would be a good fit besides the reverb. the rebel series has reverb, but imo the tweaker series is FAR more versatile.

how about a carvin v3m?
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 401
Peavey Classic 30
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I was in a very similar position just like you. I had a Blues Jr, but wanted the exact same things you wanted. I ended up trading it for a Peavey Classic 30, again very similar to your situation since the C30 I got was also a 90s model. So far, 6 months later, the amp is working fine and I'm still happy with my C30. I guess the decision really is up to you, but word of advice. Make sure you get all kinds of information about that specific amp as well (like how long the person's had it, any modifications done to it like retubing or speaker, any problems) and take your time playing it. Don't be that awkward, nervous buyer. You are the buyer so don't rush it. Play maybe 15-30 minutes, turn it on and off a couple times, mess with the knobs and check for any signs of damage.

I guess another suggestion would be to look at probably the Blackstar HT series or maybe an Egnater Tweaker.
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Last edited by EncoreBlade at May 14, 2013,
Classic 50 is not bad, but its got some serious headroom...good luck getting it to breakup up without killing your hearing lol...Classic 30 has some early grit to it, the 50 is clean as a whistle. Crunch Channel on the 50 is not bad, but sounds a bit boxy.

Another goodie is the YCV40 which i currently own...got some Fenderish Cleans and the Crunch Channel is very marshall sounding.
Quote by ikey_
well my tweaker 40 would be a good fit besides the reverb. the rebel series has reverb, but imo the tweaker series is FAR more versatile.

how about a carvin v3m?

i owned a tweaker i would take a rebel over it every time. wish i would have.

IMO the tweakers are highly over rated. once you own one for a while you realize that the switches don't sound as different than you think you did and it just has a 'base' tone that is just always there.

i had a renegade too, that was a pretty nice amp, i don't know what they go for used now, but they can do pretty much everything. that is probably the only amp i have ever sold that i would considering picking up used in the future (although not really relevant here)
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Fender Super Champ XD!!!!
Quote by macashmack
This guy right here knows his fecal matter.
did you have the 40 watt 2 channel tweaker? a lot easier to change tone with 2 channels.....and i disagree. i think the swtiches impact tone greatly (some more than others. i do find the EQ switches to a good job.

does it go from a fender twin to a marshall DSL? no. but it does change the character.

the 40 watt also runs 6L6s...so the tone will inherently be different overall. however, if you tried a tweaker and didnt like it, chances are its close enough that you probably dont want any of the tweakers.

for the record, the tweaker 88 is a totally different beast with 4 preamp tubes (2 extra gain stages), 2 onboard boosts, and kt88s.

not even the same amp comapred to the 15. not even close.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by spoing24
My budget is at $300 plus whatever I get back for returning it. I bought it new for $530, so I'm looking at a total of like $750.

Lots of good suggestions for amps already so I'm not going to comment there, but wanted to pick up on this part of your post.

You hint later on that you purchased the amp from Amazon, and you've only had it for 2 weeks, so you should be able to return it and get the full $530 refunded (minus postage costs presumably).
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I have a BJr and eventually it will be swapped for a 15w Tweaker. I agree with trashed that the switches don't do a whole lot, but it's a really great sounding amp so who cares? It has a clean sound almost as good as the BJr and the gain tones are obviously a hundred times better (since they're almost non-existent on the BJr.) The Tweaker may not be as versatile as the features might imply, but it's vastly more versatile than a BJr.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
A Peavey Classic 30?
Old Marshall DSL
Fender Hotrod
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Quote by GaryBillington
Lots of good suggestions for amps already so I'm not going to comment there, but wanted to pick up on this part of your post.

You hint later on that you purchased the amp from Amazon, and you've only had it for 2 weeks, so you should be able to return it and get the full $530 refunded (minus postage costs presumably).

I just sent them an e-mail to verify this, as I think I should get the full $530 back too.

Anywho, wow, thanks for all the responses! My first question is about the Marshall DSL 15C and 40C: since both channels have the word 'gain' in it, can you get a clean sound with it? I've never played a Marshall so I have no idea. And if I were to buy it, I'd just buy the 40W because you can cut the power in half, which is really helpful, and its only $100 more. No effects loop, but thats not the end of the world. And the foot-switch is a huge plus.

As far as the Egnater tweakers go, I feel like the 15W would be better for me because it jumps up $200 to the 40W, and the 15W has basically the same range of tonal possibilities, whether or not all the little switches do what they're supposed to. My question for the 15W is does it have foot-switch capabilities to switch channels? The 40 does but from looking around I can't seem to get an answer on the 15. Also, I like that they both have an effects loop; always handy.

And lastly, the Peavey classic 30. The price is kinda in the middle of the Marshall 40 and the Egnater 40, and it has foot-switchable channel switching, reverb, and boost! That is really handy. Not to mention the effects loop. I guess I don't really have a question specific to this one.

Well, at this point, I'm kinda torn. I'm definitely going to need to go play these bad boys. I may not have a chance to go to GC until next week, but I'll keep you guys posted.

Also, if you can answer the little specific questions I have about the amps, that would be awesome. Thanks a ton guys, you're the best!

EDIT: I just realized the Egnater 15W is single channel and thus off my list.
Hi. I love
Muse
and
[highlight]Redheads[/highlight]
Last edited by spoing24 at May 15, 2013,
i haven't tried the newer version of the dsl but the older ones had a clean channel, yeah. you just keep the gain pretty low (or if it only has a "gain" control and not "volume as well (i forget) you just use the gain knob like a volume knob).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?