I need an overdrive that, along with providing gain, also provides a noticeable volume increase when used as a solo boost on a dirty (Maiden level of gain) amp. This was one problem (amongst a few others) I ran into with my Bad monkey, where it just didn't get loud for my taste.

In terms of specs, I'd prefer at least two knobs for tone and maybe have true bypass. Not gonna cringe on either, though. Just as long as its loud (or louder than a bad monkey)

Budget-Under $160
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at May 14, 2013,
Boosting the front end of an amp already set to high gain is not going to give you a volume boost, regardless how hard you push it. You could get an EQ pedal and put it into the effects loop however, that would allow you to get a volume boost.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
^+1
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Bigbazz
Boosting the front end of an amp already set to high gain is not going to give you a volume boost, regardless how hard you push it. You could get an EQ pedal and put it into the effects loop however, that would allow you to get a volume boost.

Had a feeling with this. I was kind of hoping, since maiden's gain isn't quite the heaviest of metal, it wouldn't quite come into play. I'll consider a used EQ pedal set more or less flat, or another clean boost,

However, I will consider any OD suggestions first.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
Had a feeling with this. I was kind of hoping, since maiden's gain isn't quite the heaviest of metal, it wouldn't quite come into play. I'll consider a used EQ pedal set more or less flat, or another clean boost,

However, I will consider any OD suggestions first.

Most EQ come with a clean volume boost too, but you might find the boost will affect the sound (because its pushing the power amp harder) and having the EQ available to shape that slightly can be helpful. I went from using an overdrive pedal as a pure clean volume boost in the loop (Marshall Bluesbreaker II on boost mode, just a transparent level boost), then tried an EQ and switched to it, so much more control and it does the same job.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at May 14, 2013,
agreed, a high volume on a boost pedal going into a dirty amp will just make the amp dirtier.

that being said, the timmy (if my dano clone is anything to go by) has a massive volume boost, and the digitech screamin blues does, too (and, i assume, the boss bd2, which the SB is, er, "inspired by"). tubescreamer-type pedals (like the BM), not so much. they have a bit of boost on tap, but not loads.

if you want a volume boost you probably want a boost in the loop. but you have to be careful, i think you can do harm if you boost too much that way (as opposed to into the front of a tube amp where, far as i'm aware, you can't really do any harm).

Don't quote me on that, though
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 14, 2013,
I don't get this... Shouldn't the pedal you''d want be a clean boost like the Spark in front of your existing OD instead of another OD?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Ah. cmat mods signa drive. it has 3 mods ranging from screamer like to just about clean boost are really natural sounding. i run mine like that, with the gain up to provide some crunch as well. love it.

however, the previous post is right. if your amp is out of headroom, the pedal will simply add more distortion, not volume. in that case you would need to turn to a clean boost in the loop, to boost up the power section.

so what amp are you using?
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ragingkitty
I don't get this... Shouldn't the pedal you''d want be a clean boost like the Spark in front of your existing OD instead of another OD?

I don't have an existing OD. I returned it (sorry if I didn't mention it) and have only recently been looking into realreplacements (out of laziness as opposed to indecision).

And it won't be too much of a boost, dave MC, if an extra volume boost is put into the loop. Certainly not enough to cause any damage (if that's actually possible).

And Bigbazz: I actually want the OD to add dirt to the signal whe I solo, but I'm liking the idea of the EQ to reshape the sound as necessaary. EDIT: That however implies I am unable to find a louder OD, which I still want to be the main focus of this thread.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at May 14, 2013,
Hmmm... if I were you, I'd save up a little more and get 2 pedals... an OD and a booster. That way, you can use the OD to shape your sound... and then the booster to boost the volume.

As the others have mentioned, (depending on how dirty you run your amp) a volume boost will add more gain which'll compress your sound further. If you want to cut through during solos, boosting your mids and highs will be more effective in getting your volume to stand out, rather than boosting gain.

One other pedal you can check out is the Mad Professor Ruby Red Booster CB, just a mere $9 more on your budget. If I recall correctly, that thing gets quite loud.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
timmy all the way. get ahold of greeny23, he built me a real nice one. i use it for everything.

i wouldn't recommend an OCD though. i regret buying mine, it colors your tone totally, and IMO is more of a distortion than an OD. it has a ton of gain and volume, but thats not what you are looking for.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If the BM isn't giving you enough level boost then your only real option is to stack boosts, or go for the crazy option of getting an EQ pedal and push absolutely everything to the top; a Boss GE-7 with everything maxed provides a +30dB signal boost, essentially like having a preamp before your preamp. A Bad Monkey by itself, by the way, provides up to +24dB of boost when the level is maxed out, so it's already way higher than virtually anything else on the market. For reference, a typical 'solo boost' type of setting would be something between 6-12dB.

But as many others have said, with high gain (or even medium gain), this won't actually make you louder, it will just push the signal into clipping more. More distortion, more noise.

If you're trying to get your sound to stand out more with a boost, and you're using moderate or high gain, you need to put the boost after the preamp; an OD before the amp is no good, no matter what you get. OD pedals are used as boosts with low-gain amps, with much distortion they just add to the clipping.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
If you're comparing boosts, the Digitech Hardwire CM2 provides a fair bit more output level boost than the Bad Monkey. Like I said though, he's playing Iron Maiden type stuff then hes using so much gain that it wont matter how many boosts he puts into his amp it isnt going to get louder, its just going increase his gain/compression.

What he needs for a volume boost is something in the effects loop, his bad monkey would probably do the job, not sure it would sound right in the loop though. A Bad Monkey does have a slight colouring of the tone, which though isn't necessarily a negative thing in the front, it might be when in the loop.

If it was me in this situation, i'd be thinking about 2 seperate pedals, one for the gain boost into the front, and one for the volume boost in the loop. an OD and an EQ pedal.

Saying that, that is how I do it anyway. I use a Bad Monkey in the front, and an EQ in the loop.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at May 15, 2013,
Another thing to try if your amp has an efx loop and master, volume is to put a pedal that can boost AND cut like the Fulltone Fat Boost or similar. Provided your amp's fx loop can be used with pedal type effects you can set the pedal to cut your volume somewhat and then when you bypass the pedal your volume is louder. This means you will turn the master volume of the amp up a bit more.

The advantage is that you will get a less noisy signal when boosting and a volume bump as well. Mesa amps have a "Solo" control which is basically another Master volume control wired in parallel that allows you to do a similar thing. It's quite handy.
Quote by Bigbazz
If you're comparing boosts, the Digitech Hardwire CM2 provides a fair bit more output level boost than the Bad Monkey.
Actually the max level increase on the CM-2 is 4dB lower than the Bad Monkey.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Actually the max level increase on the CM-2 is 4dB lower than the Bad Monkey.

Thats all good and all, but I've tested them side by side, and the Bad Monkey had less of a level boost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnSRVy4p1cI

Shows exactly what I'm talking about.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V