Hey guys. I've previously posted about needing a new amp for cleans for recording typical metal cleans (ie. BFMV and KsE cleans) in a home studio. I was recommended the Roland JC-120 amp as it is the "industry standard" for cleans.

However, I looked at my Roland Cube 30X sitting beside me and I remembered that the clean channel is meant to modeled after the JC-120. My question is: how comparable are the cleans? Is it worth buying a 'JC' amp, or should I stick with the clean channel on my Cube?

Cheers guys

Carl
Main Rig
ESP LTD MH-350NT
Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey
Peavey 6505+ 112 w/ 2x12 (Celestion Vintage 30 and WGS Veteran 30)
[Effects Loop] Boss GE-7 > Boss CE-5 > TC Electronic Flashback
i am not familiar with the cube models, but JC120s are big miracle boxes. they just have stunning cleans and as far as cleans go for metal there is a reason why they are continually used.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Great amps, greta cleans. Some people feel they are somewhat "sterile" when compared with tube amps but they are just neutral, lacking the colouration of tube amps. I like this. As the bloke above me said the cleans are stunning man. and they are a great long term investment too!
The big Cubes do a pretty good impression of the JC120. The 30 isn't a bad facsimilie either really but the bigger ones are better at it. If you are gigging and specifically want the JC sound then I'd go for a real Jazz Chorus or at least one of the big cubes.
You may want to scan CL and ebay for a JC60 too. They are basically one half of a JC120.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 14, 2013,
I read somewhere that Metallica used JC for cleans. If it's good enough for them, I guess it's should be good for you too.