Page 1 of 2
I made this thread so people here can share their terrible and/or possibly good experiences in AP classes.

I took English lang and comp. on friday. The essays were great, but the multiple choice was too damn time consuming. I have APUSH (ap us history) tomorrow and I feel like I didn't study enough. Is anyone else here taking AP classes and ready to face the wrath of college board?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwxVFKavO0U

(my only hope )

Should I take AP: bio, environmental science, psychology, and literature next year?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Last edited by k.lainad at May 14, 2013,
waaaah i'm a privileged white person that gets to take AP classes waaaah
you're a stone fox
I've taken some before. Did decent enough to get the AP Scholar award. It's worth it IMO if you either study hard enough or have a good teacher. Don't stress it man.
EDIT: Also https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=693719 an old thread.
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
Last edited by riffmasterjosh at May 14, 2013,
Quote by Saint78

Im not white. Don't be so stereotypical. Gosh!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)

Don't overload yourself with AP classes either its not worth stressing out on. Trust me, I've seen some major failures due to people having too much put on them. I would concentrate on AP Psychology, Environmental Science (IDK how but I got a 5 on that), and of course AP Calculus. It depends on if you're getting college credit or not and what your major is. AP literature would've have given me credit (without a 5 and a portfolio) so I avoided that at all costs.
Quote by riffmasterjosh
Don't overload yourself with AP classes either its not worth stressing out on. Trust me, I've seen some major failures due to people having too much put on them. I would concentrate on AP Psychology, Environmental Science (IDK how but I got a 5 on that), and of course AP Calculus. It depends on if you're getting college credit or not and what your major is. AP literature would've have given me credit (without a 5 and a portfolio) so I avoided that at all costs.

Good idea. I really want to be doctor of neurology and work specifically in neuroscience research. But I want something to fall back on if medicine doesn't work out, so I might go for bio medical or electrical engineering while slowly filling in my "premed" classes.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by The_Blode

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.

Okay, the AP Music Theory test frustrated me beyond my usual limits of test-taking. However, I feel pretty good about it.

Except for the Sight-Singing, which can **** itself to death with a rusty knife for all I care.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Quote by k.lainad
Good idea. I really want to be doctor of neurology and work specifically in neuroscience research. But I want something to fall back on if medicine doesn't work out, so I might go for bio medical or electrical engineering while slowly filling in my "premed" classes.

I'd definitely take AP Bio. That's a class you'll have to take in college and you'll have it out of the way.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Never took an "AP" class because I rarely ever did homework. Even though I always got 80s, and 90s on "in"school work.
AP History was pretty lame. Still got a 3 so I can't complain. If your school has them, I feel like dual enrollment classes are better.
i took a bucnh of ap classes
in 10th
calculus
11th
english
apush
physics
12th
english
ap us gov
spanish
ap music

i didnt have a teacher for ap spanish test or ap music
i got a 5 in spanish a 2 in music

for th eotherones i passed them all cept for calculus cause **** that shit i was young and reckless

all of thoseclasses were alot of work but i had amazing teachers who really cared and since we were in a poor neighborhood there werent many in our classes twas awesome cause we were the"good" kids and basically got away with everything by saying it was for an ap class...good times

i got college credit for all of those

some of the bestdesicions of my life
but it was also one of the most stressful and work filled years and if i didnt hve the teachers i did i wouldnt have done as well as i did
AP Bio, Calc and Physics are good for the field you're interested in being a part of, although I got two's on the Calc and physics exams. I didn't take AP Bio but I wish I would have. I got 4's on APUSH and APGOP, 5's on AP Eng. and AP Eng. Lit. and 5's on AP Spanish Lang. and AP Spanish Lit.

It's always good to expand you're mind and challenge yourself by taking upper level classes.
Quote by Saint78

Hey, N8, aren't you white? And privileged?
Quote by Saint78

lolwut, I'm Asian and from a working class family

I took AP Biology in Grade 10 (Scored a 5)

AP Chemistry in Grade 11 (Didnt take exam)

AP Psychology, Physics, and Calculus (Didnt take any exams)

Not really planning to take the credit, so just taking the courses to get used to the university learning curve. Not to mention, did not study enough for Chemistry or Calculus and they were brutal

I am going into Marine Biology and Bio was a TON of fun. The teacher was super interactive and Veterinarian (doctorate!). Dropped out from that to career for the reason of wanting to teach the next generation of scientists! So you could say he was an amazing teacher. The same goes with Physics. Chemistry was an interesting course, but our teacher was absolutely horrible.

Psychology is incredibly easy, but Calculus takes a bit of work but is integral (heh) to University courses so a great experience.

Should I take AP: bio, environmental science, psychology, and literature next year?

Take Bio for sure,
Environmental science is a meh
Psychology is easy and is relatable to your career choice
Literature was easier than our standard English 12 But you get to read and analyze some great works of writing, so if you like English, go for it.
Last edited by PapaKooLay at May 14, 2013,
I took US History, Calculus AB, Lang/Comp, Macro/micro econs, Bio, Stats, Spanish, and Chemistry. got 4s & 5s on everything but didn't get credit cuz my uni is weird about that. still definitely don't regret it though
cat
lol not going to take that bate n8

I'm taking the same two as you TS. Language and composition was easy except I ****ed up that last persuasive essay and tomorrow will be easy as long as the FRQs aren't on the few eras I don't know much about.
I took the Psychology test and passed it woohoo
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Take as many ap classes as possible. The classes that are AP in high school are intro level in college. That means that the shittiest of TAs teach them, but you get the best of the teachers in high school. AP pays off huge, and lets you take it easy in college with 12 credit hour semesters and such.
Very worth it.
Quote by sonofgkex
Take as many ap classes as possible. The classes that are AP in high school are intro level in college. That means that the shittiest of TAs teach them, but you get the best of the teachers in high school. AP pays off huge, and lets you take it easy in college with 12 credit hour semesters and such.
Very worth it.

The thing is, they don't really prepare you for college. At all. People think they do. But they don't. Not unless you're studying something like sociology (a degree which doesn't have a high rate of graduates hired immediately after college).
I was THE slacker in AP World History. Almost failed every exam and all that cuz I never paid attention / cared. The night before the test, I just read The Princeton Review's guide for the course from start to finish.

Got a 5.

Suck it.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
The thing is, they don't really prepare you for college. At all. People think they do. But they don't. Not unless you're studying something like sociology (a degree which doesn't have a high rate of graduates hired immediately after college).

They prepare you by getting a shitload of useless liberal arts & gen ed crap out of the way before you even get in the door, saving time, energy, and most importantly, money. Prepared me juuuuuuust fine, thank you very much.

PS: fux librul arts & gen ed

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at May 15, 2013,
Took AP english, APUSH, AP calc, AP bio, AP Gov. I'm bad at history so I didn't pass gov or USH, but got a 5 on the english one and a 3 on the bio one. AP Calc I just kinda stopped paying attention to and failed that class, which sucks cause I like math.
Quote by Joshua1207
Got a 1 on AP Computer Science last year. C+'d the class though

You say that like a C+ is impressive to colleges or employers...

Quote by Xiaoxi
They prepare you by getting a shitload of useless liberal arts & gen ed crap out of the way before you even get in the door, saving time, energy, and most importantly, money. Prepared me juuuuuuust fine, thank you very much.

Pah, Gen Ed and Lib Arts isn't real college; that's just the bullshit they make you take so they can feel like they're giving you a "well-rounded education" and feel good about themselves. Your major/core classes are what really matter. Saving money is nice though; I saved a bit myself with AP English and AP Euro History.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at May 15, 2013,
Quote by Xiaoxi

Yeah, AP classes in general were a waste of time since they were mostly no different than regular ones, but they allowed the opportunity to take the AP tests which save you hundreds of bucks on having to take classes if you pass them.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
You say that like a C+ is impressive to colleges or employers...

I didn't know anything about programming and didn't even do any of the program assignments second semester and still passed so I'm happy with it. Would have gotten a B had I not gotten in trouble for my final project.
Just crammed for US History. I will probably get a 5 since history is my best subject (even though all of you on UG know that I am terrible at it and don't know anything lol) and it's all stuff I know, I just needed to refresh my memory so I could remember the specifics.

If I have to write about the New Deal I am ****ed though because I am ignorant and get all those acronyms mixed up.
Took AP European History in 10th grade, AP Lang and APUSH in 11th, and AP Calc, AP Econ and AP Lit in 12th. Got credits from all of them.

Quote by Joshua1207
Got a 1 on AP Computer Science last year. C+'d the class though

I wish my high school offered AP Comp Sci... That definitely would have helped me get ahead for my CS major.
Apush test was overall.... easy. The MC was straight forward and easy to grasp, the DBQ was okay, I just kind of ran out of time on that one, the FRQ's were a joke (I chose questions 2 and 5).
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by The_Blode

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.

AP tests are a waste of time. If you ever go to college, they just turn those credits into electorate credits because they don't consider worth credits in any of the subjects they require you to learn. You still have to take all your general ed and major requirements.
Quote by DeadlyIllness
AP tests are a waste of time. If you ever go to college, they just turn those credits into electorate credits because they don't consider worth credits in any of the subjects they require you to learn. You still have to take all your general ed and major requirements.

NOT TRUE!!!!
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

That's not the point. You should just earn as many credits as you can while you are in high school because it will let you skip those classes in college. Skipping college hours is convenient and could potentially save you thousands of dollars in hours you don't have to pay for. College won't prepare you for shit either, you just need the little check mark that means you have a degree. APs are worth it because they let you skip shitty TA professors in college and have more schedule flexibility. Skipping crap professors is convenient and good for your GPA; and since many universities charge by credit hour, APs are also a good investment monetarily.

I went to private high school in WA, and took APs. Honestly my college classes were much easier for my first two years of college, and my college GPA is a lot better than my high school GPA. APs pay off for sure. Trust someone who has been there.
Typical Asians. Try to be the best, but can't handle the pressure.

What is AP?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Never took any of the AP tests.

I had a few friends that did, and they made it sound like it wasn't really worth it.
Quote by DeadlyIllness

lolwut, I can take my Bio AP credit as my Science major credit and jump to Second year Bio if I wanted to

Really the only reason to take them is to save a coupla grand on course fees you can skip.
LOL, AP. My school is an IB school. For seniors at my school, AP math is the lowest math class you can take, and it used to be the same way for English before they totally got rid of that class and made all the seniors take IB English.
Page 1 of 2