Some people say all from the wrist, some people say whatever works for you, etc! I just go with the whatever works for you. So, how does mine look to you? And how can
Last edited by tylerjenns at May 19, 2013,
Quote by tylerjenns
I just go with the whatever works for you.

Yes it does.

Quote by tylerjenns
So, how does mine look to you?

How does it sound?

Quote by tylerjenns
And how can I improve?

beats me? do you want to be Shawn Lane?

Man that is crazy fast, what is the bpm?

The goal is to keep your hand relaxed.If you can do it, pick even from the shoulder .But picking from the shoulder or the elbow makes it way harder to be relaxed thats why the most prefered method for effciency and stability is the wrist.As for your picking you play the notes heavily muted,leave the notes to actually ring(which is much harder) and then you ll see if adjustments need to be made ...
Thanks for the replies! Yes I do normally mute so it doesnt sound like mess lol
I dont feel tense, I squeeze my pick alittle bit when im going fast to make sure it doesnt fly out. Idk about the tempo, with a metronome i was getting septuplets at like 156? And 16th note triplets at like 170 ish. Im going for Paul Gilbert clean and speed! If that helps

This isnt as muted and has distortion. Thus is a few months old ive gotten alot faster and cleaner, i think. Anyway lol.

http://youtu.be/yfWMsiJKQio
Quote by tylerjenns
Thanks for the replies! Yes I do normally mute so it doesnt sound like mess lol
I dont feel tense, I squeeze my pick alittle bit when im going fast to make sure it doesnt fly out. Idk about the tempo, with a metronome i was getting septuplets at like 156? And 16th note triplets at like 170 ish. Im going for Paul Gilbert clean and speed! If that helps

This isnt as muted and has distortion. Thus is a few months old ive gotten alot faster and cleaner, i think. Anyway lol.

[

Take care of your muting first.Strings are ringing left and right there.Second as it was said before...let the notes ring mate.You are still muffling the strings and third....go way slower and start incorporating some serious scale sequences for serious picking practise.Not scales up and down.Play thirds for example,groups of four etc etc....If you slow down, take care of your muting(of the unwanted strings) and start relaxing your right hand you ll be heard 100 times better ....
16th notes triplets at 170 bpm is very impressive indeed, Im not sure Paul Gilbert even plays that fast. If I were you I would stop worrying about the speed and just clean it up. Have a go at the solo he plays at the beginning of Intense Rock I, there are lots of picking licks in there.

By the way the tone on the second video is so early Racer X, may I ask whats your set up?
Last edited by tappooh at May 15, 2013,
On the second video its just a practice fender amp lol! I figured out how to get the PG tone. And yes, im not trying to go faster, just cleaner!
To be honest your picking looks and sounds really bad. There's no note definition, the timing is all over the place, it's really sloppy and it also looks like your arm and hand are extremely tense. Your vibrato at the end of the first video feels rushed and weak as well, which is another thing definitely worth working on.

You need to practice synching the left and right hands. Your left hand is moving fast and your right hand is moving fast but they're not actually in synch. You need to strike the string EXACTLY as you fret the note.

Hope that helps. ^^