Hi All,
I'm looking at some practice small tube amps in the $250-$300 price range.

what are the differnces between these?
Bugera V22
Vox VT40+ Valvetronix 60 Watt
Vox AC4TV 4W 1x10 Tube

I like to play blues, funk, gopsel R&B styles.

or you can make another suggestion.

Thanks,
Ken
Bugera V22 - From what I gather it is a vintage sounding Fender Twin (ish) preamp mated to an EL84 power amp (Kinda like an old Marshall 18W). I can't tell you what it sounds like but the Bugera amps usually sound pretty good for the price, unfortunately they often have reliability issues and you will not find many people who will recommend them, simply because of that.

Vox VT40 - This is the Valvetronix series that uses 1 preamp valve in the power stage to try to fake some sort of valve response/sound. For what they are they sound pretty good and are very versatile, though most people would suggest you go for an actual valve amp instead for the sake of the overal quality of tones. A good choice if you feel you need the large selection of available sounds.

VOX AC4TV - A very simplistic and low power combo. Another amp I've not tried, will probably have tone in the bucketload but is not very versatile or altogether that practical being that it probably isnt loud enough for playing live. Fine as a practice amp though and will be more than loud enough for home use.

I'm gonna suggest a Peavey Classic 30, has a lot of simularities to the Bugerra V22 but has more power and comes with the reliability and good reputation/support you get with Peavey amps. If you go used then you should be able to find one within your budget.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at May 15, 2013,
The Vox VT40+ is a solid state modeling amp that has a tube pre-amp to flavor the tone. The AC4TV is a real tube amp that doesn't have all the built in amp models and effects the VT40+ does but it does have an attenuator that lets you get real tube tones at bedroom levels. Both are nice, both run about the same price wise so just depends on which direction you want to go. Don't know about the Bugera.
Last edited by Washu-chan at May 15, 2013,
The valvetronix isn't a tube amp, but a hybrid with one 12ax7 and built-in effects. Versatile enough for a practice amp, and a good one; but not a real tube amp if is that what you are looking at. About the others, they are tube amps in fact. The bugera one is probably a peavey classic 30 clon, with 3 preamp 12ax7 tubes and 2 EL84 power ones, built in reverb and 2 channels. Acceptable sound and sure more than enough power for a practice amp. And finally the vox is a pretty nice one, single channel 1 12ax7and 1 EL84 and a very straight panel with also a built in attenuator. The bugera is clearly more flexible having 2 channels and reverb. I prefer the sound on the vox one. For practice I'd go for the vox; but you should try them and choose what suits beat for you and is better for your ears. Maybe the Ac4 and a OD pedal is all what you need. Good luck with your search!
Just as a practice amp, the Bugera is probably too loud to really use it. It's good though, the V series is usually seen as the jewel in Bugera's crown and one of the amps that work well without the same amount of reliability issues the rest of their range has suffeered from in the past.

The AC4 is good, an excellent tube amp for home use, but it's definitely a one trick pony. The head & cab version is a better choice though, you get a much fuller tone and some extra room for cleans before the tube's start adding a crunch to your sound.

To be honest though, if you're just looking for a practice amp the VT40+ would be your best bet. I had one a while ago, it's extremely versatile and has enough options on there that you can play around with to figure out what tone you want to aim at when you upgrade to a gig-worthy amp.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Of those I'd take the Bugera, but if it were me I'd be looking at other options. Peavey Classic comes to mind.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by GaryBillington

To be honest though, if you're just looking for a practice amp the VT40+ would be your best bet. I had one a while ago, it's extremely versatile and has enough options on there that you can play around with to figure out what tone you want to aim at when you upgrade to a gig-worthy amp.

+1
Thanks All!

Speaking of gig worthy amps...that is my next purchase after this amp
I would take the Blues Junior over any of those amps. They are awesome amps! I had one and upgraded to a Deluxe Reverb but I really miss the Blues Junior and will get one again someday as a back up.

For 15 watts the Blues Jnr gets loud and has a great clean fendery tone. They have a master volume too which is useful. The best thing is they aren't too heavy and are very portable. They are a great pedal platform and also have a nice spring reverb built in. It would suit your styles of music quite well.
honestly, out of those the vox 4 watt is probably teh best sounding but more for just home or bedroom use. due to the low headroom it will be the most responsive to stuff like overdrive pedals.

next i would choose the bugera, still 100% tube path and sound decent for the money, but its gig able. lower end of the quality spectrum, but i rocked one for about 2 years and it was a solid unit. quite happy. played well at low volume too.

suggested above....a blues junior is a FINE amp. higher wuality than anything you suggested, and probably as good sounding as the vox but but higher wattage and suitable for gigs. ive seen more guitarists gig with a blues junior than ANY AMP.

vox valetronics is a hybrid modeler. most tones will come out of it, but its not tube. decent for a hybrid amp though. solid choice still.

as an all tube kinda guy i tend to rule that out. another thing is flexibility. the vox and blues junior are 1 channel, v22 is 2 with onboard boost and reverb, valvetronix does a lot of stuff.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by deadsmileyface
You gotta go with the Fender Excelsior. 300 bucks. I love mine. It will do exactly what you want.

I've seen these - haven't tried one yet, but they seem like great value for money.

How well do they take pedals, and would they hold their own in a band situation?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Just as a practice amp, the Bugera is probably too loud to really use it. It's good though, the V series is usually seen as the jewel in Bugera's crown and one of the amps that work well without the same amount of reliability issues the rest of their range has suffeered from in the past.

It's only 20 watts... it's a pretty okay volume for practicing.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic