Hello my friends!

Recently I have been gigging an awful lot with my band and I'm finding my large/heavy head & cab to be a nuisance. Naturally, I would like to start using a combo amp for gigging.

My band's style could be considered 'pop rock' however I would like an amp that was highly versatile (good cleans are also a must).

I have been recommended to look into the Fender Mustang IV, however I am skeptical about the lack of tubes...

So, my question to all you lovely people is "Would the Fender Mustang IV be a good purchase? If not; what other combo amps would you recommend?"

Love and thanks,
Toby
Quote by Monolith295
Tobysaurus is one sexy man.

Quote by Kensai
I think I love you Tobysaurus!

Quote by CFH82
God damn, you've given me a boner Toby!
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue.
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL401C
Engl Thunder 30/50
Blackstar HT-Club 40
Laney VC30

Budget, new or used, size and wattage, location?

i wouldn't go with the mustang
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
We're really pissing into the wind without knowing a budget.

It'd also be useful to know what head/cab you have.
Assuming he has no budget.. Mark V
Quote by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
^+1
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Hit the gym.

Or...if you have a 4x12 cab, keep the head, sell/trade the 4x12 for nice 2x12 cab.

If you have a 2x12 cab, your half stack will be easier to lug than a 2x12 combo - as a 2x12 combo will be heavier than each of the the two components of a 2x12 half-stack individually.

A 1x12 combo would be the only reasonable option for ease of transportation - and for live gigs, that's only practical if you are guaranteed a PA, or a small venues.
I have a Marshall JVM410C combo (2x12), and it's HEAVY. Think again about getting a combo. :P
ESP Horizon NT-II (Seymour Duncan) + Marshall JVM410C =

No pedals or any of that stuff, just a raw Marshall tone ran by my fingers!
Many combos are heavy as hell, especially tube combos.

I'd stay away from the Mustang or ANY modeling combo for that matter, those are strictly for practice. Look into a Peavey Valve King combo, Peavey Classic 50, Orange Tiny Terror, Fender Hot Rod, or Egnater Rebel.

If you need something with on-board effects, the Vox Valvetronix series are nice. They are hybrid tube combos with effects built in.
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
After gigging with both a 2x12 combo and a 4x12 half stack, I'm a serious believer that a half stack is easier to transport. Sure it takes up more room in the car, but once I'm there, I can easily push my head + cab with a gear bag on top straight from my car into the back of the venue. This sure as hell beats lugging around a 85lb combo, then having to make multiple trips back for the rest of my stuff. Even with castors on the combo, you have to bend way down to push it, and can't really stack things on top, since you still have to push way down from the bottom. I'm 6'4", so that means bending over quite a lot to be able to do that.

I know some of people on here insist that a half stack is overkill and that anyone who uses one just wants to either show off or thinks they need a wall of speakers, but honestly it's just easier. With 3-4 shows a month,I sure wouldn't want to lug around a heavy ass combo all the time.