I've been playing around with my mates Marshall VS65, a two channel valvestate combo, 65 watts. It's fairly old, and probably never been serviced, which leads me to think it probably needs a bit of a tune up anyway...

The problem I'm having with it is that when on the clean channel, it's far from a clean sound... It doesn't cut out or anything that would imply a dirty pot, but it sounds as if there's been some low overdrive put onto it or something, but there is no gain control for the clean channel.

Now is that likely to be due to the valve being potential shot to hell, or is that a speaker issue?

Any suggestions would be awesome!
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
In these old valvestates, the first things that cause noise are input jack and pots. Pots can be cleaned with good contact spray, but input jack needs to be changed. Annoying job that can be costly because the whole damn thing needs to be taken apart that you can start soldering. Does the noise change when you wiggle to jack?

It could also be the tube. VS65 is the second gen combo, right? Equivalent to 8080? Then there is a tube and unlike in first gen the clean channel also goes through that single tube. It should be changed anyway, who knows how old the tube is.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
The pots and jacks may need to have the solder joints reflowed because of cracks. Clean them first and see if that helps.
Quote by MaaZeus
In these old valvestates, the first things that cause noise are input jack and pots. Pots can be cleaned with good contact spray, but input jack needs to be changed. Annoying job that can be costly because the whole damn thing needs to be taken apart that you can start soldering. Does the noise change when you wiggle to jack?

It could also be the tube. VS65 is the second gen combo, right? Equivalent to 8080? Then there is a tube and unlike in first gen the clean channel also goes through that single tube. It should be changed anyway, who knows how old the tube is.

Thanks for your thoughts dude, the noise doesn't change when wiggling the jack, so I'm pretty confident that it's not that. I have an 8080, first gen valvestate as you said, and that is in real need of a service too. On that one however, the pots that are old and burnt up only crackle in certain position, but settle in certain positions too. It's a very different crackle to what this VS65 is giving.

I'm thinking first step is change the tube... I have a spare and I've change my 8080 before so I imagine it'll be basically the same process! Having removed tubes from my JCM900 as well I know how to do it within shattering the things

I guess it'll be worth stripping it all apart and giving it a good clean anyway to be honest..
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

Ok so I changed the tube and it didn't change anything, nothing changes when moving any sockets or pots either which would imply it's not those, all the electronics look sound, and I've tried it with multiple speakers now too...

Any other ideas? I'm stumped..
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart