I currently have a strat in which i run a seymour duncan sl-59 humbucker in the bridge and a hot-rails in the middle. i play mainly rock/punk/metal, with my amp high gain on overdrive.
i really like the sl59 in the bridge but i find that the hot rails is just a "muddyer" version of the sl59 so i tend to not use it very often, if at all.

im looking to change it out for something, has any one got any suggestions? i was thinking going back to a single coil or maybe even a lipstick tube, so i at least have a bit of a different sound in there which i might find some use for! what are single coils like for high gain music like i play?

Thanks

Will
yeah i don't much like the hotrails either.

if you want some variety a normal single coil would work- assuming you mainly use the bridge humbucker for heavier distortion anyway, you could then use the middle single for lighter tones.

if you want to stick to duncans, the ssl1 is pretty nice.

i don't have any experience with lipstick pickups. (I was gonna just say "I don't have any experience with lipsticks," but figured that'd be quoted out of context )
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Nice! this is a big help, iv had a look at the ssl1, sounds like it should be what i want i think!

Cheers!
Hot Rails in the middle and '59 in the bridge is pretty backwards compared to how they're intended, really.

Try simply lowering the Hot Rails further from the strings, to start. It reduces output, improves clarity and costs nothing to try

Other than that, there's the SD Hot Stack which is kind of like a cut-down, brighter Hot Rails; the Custom Stack Plus is a good choice if you'd like to keep the pickup hum-cancelling and high enough output to match the '59, but get more of a normal single coil tone.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
^ or even try it split- while i don't like the hotrails humbucker tone, the split tone is actually not bad.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?