So recently I saw this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiSr8iNwWsw

It was amazing because meshuggah alone is great but that and the lighting makes everything just amazing.

I wanted to ask if any of you guys know what equipment he is using to do this? Or if you know what other equipment you can use to do this?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Following Meshuggah rhythms with lights. Pretty sweet.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Dude is awesome, but that crowd is exactly how I imagine a Meshuggah/Djent show; standing still and attentively listening for the polymeters.
Quote by Morphogenesis26
Dude is awesome, but that crowd is exactly how I imagine a Meshuggah/Djent show; standing still and attentively listening for the polymeters.

yeah the crowd was kind of bumming me out
Quote by Morphogenesis26

I've seen them twice and the crowd was always a movin and groovin. Clearly, the French just don't like metal.

EDIT: Check it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUm72pPt3Bk

I was at this show. Clearly, we kick the shit out of those smelly Frenchmen when it comes to metal.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Last edited by muffinduck01 at May 16, 2013,
What a terrible crowd...

That is an amazing video though. I know nothing about lights at shows, is that how it's normally done?
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Looks like he's playing the kick with his hands
Gear:
Ibanez RGT6EX
Line 6 Spider 3 15
Hobner 265

Quote by Lost Dog
People absolutely love to see horrible accidents and murders, as well as any sort of fighting really. Just look at the news. We wouldn't watch it if it was boring.
Quote by Nelsean
What a terrible crowd...

That is an amazing video though. I know nothing about lights at shows, is that how it's normally done?

I'd imagine he doesn't need to do that

Meshuggah's axe-fx are all computer-controlled throughout their live performance, they play to click tracks and the computer engages and disengages certain pedals throughout the show exactly at the right time, so the band barely has to use the pedalboards anymore.

If they can do that I seriously doubt they need to manually set up the lights

source (at around 11:30 on)
Ah ok, makes sense.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
re: equipment.

Standard light board for most medium and up venues. He has certain lights programmed to each channel. He hits a button, the lights in that channel turn on. I'm not familiar with how concerts are run lights-wise (I've worked in theater and musicals, not concerts), but this seems adventurous but fun.

It looks like he has a background level of lights on. So, if he doesn't have his fingers on a button, the place doesn't go dark. From there, it's just adding on layers to see what works with the song. Pretty sick stuff.
dont take any guff from these bastards man

Quote by Fenderhippie69
I only smoke when I've been drinking and I only drink when I've been smoking.
it's called dmx, most pro light shows are run like that.
You can program them or operate in real time like the guy in the video, you can use purpose built dmx controllers or a program on a computer.
that's how we did it back in the day, just standing next to breaker boxes flipping them on and off
Quote by Nelsean
What a terrible crowd...

That actually seems like a pretty large venue and people towards the back don't tend to mosh, that's more towards the front.

I was at a Meshuggah show a month ago and the pit was massive, absolutely phenomenal show.

I can't believe they actually have a light dude "Play" along with the tracks, with all the MIDI lighting nowadays that's really cool.
It looks like he's using an ETC desk or something similar. What he has done is program a lot of simple states with the moving lights, for example one will be a sweep across the stage, one will be a dimmer spread etc etc what he then does is program different colours, positions, shutters etc onto other faders and control those instantly from the flash key associated with each fader.

So during the show he puts up the fader that makes his moving lights move from one side of the stage to another, maybe brings up another to make them red and then during the song he presses the flash buttons to change colour and put the shutter in to make them semi-strobe. He does seem to be doing it a bit more involved than I would do, but each to his own.

What I would do if I was on tour with a band is program each song into a cue list, which then linked to different chases, so when I get to a certain point in the song, I hit the GO button and it starts the strobe chase, then hit GO again and it moves the lights, GO again for the colour strobe etc etc, it would be a nightmare in the programming stage but a damn sight easier to operate the actual gig haha

In terms of why not run it via MIDI from a computer controlled program, that doesn't work with lighting as well, same as it doesn't with sound, because each gig will be slightly different, whether noticeable to the audience or not, there has to be the ability to change things on the fly and busk the show if necessary, which a computer program can't do

Oh, the lights seem to be just standard moving heads, profiles and washes (look to be Martin MAC, probably 700, for the profiles and Robe Robins for the washes) and a shed load of par cans over stage with a red gel, possibly 106
Quote by Morphogenesis26

I was at the gig in the video and I can assure you, we were a-movin an groovin, the desk is really far back in that venue. It is kind of like being in a trance though.
It was bloody fantastic, by the way.
Last edited by captainsnazz at May 16, 2013,
Impressive, but electric lighting is for amateurs

... For A Pair Of Brown Eyes

Quote by Bladez22
smoke, you get more awesome by the minute..... You have an epic beard, live near woods, listen to metal, grill stuff using makeshift bbqs out of old cans, and now we find out you have stabbed someone in the dick
Someday we'll find out that he not only controls the lights, but the band and their instruments as well.
Quote by Nelsean
What a terrible crowd...

The crowd was like that because meshuggah are boring. Saw them a little while ago with devin townsend and it was just chugga-chugga-chugga-groove-chugga constantly. It might as well all been the same song. Maybe that's just the venue though, I've never been fond of the sound at brixton academy. Also, I just don't do djent.

I figure the lights are done like that because an auto light setting might go out of time with the band, especially someone like meshuggah
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by theguitarist
The crowd was like that because meshuggah are boring. Saw them a little while ago with devin townsend and it was just chugga-chugga-chugga-groove-chugga constantly.

I hate you Londoners so much.

So very, very goddamn much.
Quote by CoreysMonster
I hate you Londoners so much.

So very, very goddamn much.

If it makes you feel any better the set list was mostly average stuff, none of the 'big' songs.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o