Page 1 of 4
This is probably a somewhat crocked topic, but i just feel some sort of a need to address it, and start a discussion about it.

Anyway,back in the day, we had LOADS of BRILLIANT bands in the mainstream, which were TRULY ROCK'N'ROLL: Black Sababth,Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Nazareth, Bon Jovi, Metallica, Guns'N'Roses, RATT, Motley Crue, Europe, W.A.S.P. and many more.

Today, in the mainstream, we have: Paramore (the singer is HOT, but i don't like the songs), One Direction, and a lot of different alternative rock/ emo-i-the-ball-less-wimp-will-slit-my-wrists-kind-of-rock bands, a LOT of which, in my opinion, are VERY UN-ROCK'N'ROLL AND SUCK BIG BAWLS OF FAYAAA!!!!

Of course, SOME modern bands have their good moments. S.O.A.D.for example are rather good imho, but still, most modern bands just don't have the balls in comparison to the oldschool bands, which actually HAD balls, no matter if they were Punk, Hard rock, Glam metal, Traditional heavy metal, or Thrash/Prog.

When you compare these new bands to bands from late 60s, the 70s, the 80s, and the early 90s(just a few bands, e.g. Pearl Jam, Soungarden and AIC, Nirvana DOESN'T count imho), it is obvious, that a LOT of these new bands don't even SOUND rock'n'roll. Not even talking about the looks.(I'm NOT saying, that it is obligatory to dress like a rocker, to actually BE a rocker, but it definitely helps to sustain the credibility) They're like the diet coke, in the negative meaning of these words.

If this uncool, UN-ROCK'N'ROLL emoism/alternativism, which by the way has even found it's way into some new hard rock/metal bands doesn't get a serious kick in the ass, then i think that rock music will IRREVERSIBLY turn into a lame copy of itself.

So, guys and girls, ignoring the fact that this topic is kinda croked, how much can the modern-day rock music suck? How much of a kick in the butt should we deliver it?

P.S.
As i said, there are also good NEW bands out there, both in more oldschool, and newer genres of rock and metal, it's jsut that today, the mainstream is still ruled mostly by modern rock. That's for now, of course.(I, for example,would REEALLY like to form an oldschool Hard rock/Metal band and add my input into taking TRUE Rock'N'Roll back to where it belongs, and i will certainly do so in the future)
Last edited by Rocknrolla35 at May 15, 2013,
I remember feeling like this when I was 14 too.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Rock and roll is on it's death bed, unfortunately. We need some good bands to save it. Fall out boy is just twisting the knife with their bullshit.

There are still plenty of bands that I like who tour and play, but few live up to Zeppelin and the real gods of rock.

Solution: Make a band and play some real rock
i don't understand why people need to complain about the mainstream. i might have, when i was younger, but i forgot it.

if your favorite kind of music becomes mainstream, you will have to deal with so many people who listen to that kind of music just to fit in with the crowd and keep common ground with their friends. is that really what you want? for your favorite thing to be reduced to that?
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
I understand your point but I disagree with the whole '' back to the past '' rock that you expect to hear nowadays. There are almost 20 years gone from the grunge scene and a lot more from 80's,70's and 60's. A decade of music expresses the needs and the fears of that particular decade only. Do you believe that we , in 2013, have the same beliefs with the youth of the 60's or the 70's etc... and therefore we need to express it in the same way? Music has evolved since then and is still evolving . I understand that you dont appreciate rock music nowadays since neither do I but you haeve to accept that we live in different times and I really hate listening to bands which try to have and 70's look and sound.I believe that in the near future a new form of rock will rise like it did in the decades before ours.
Quote by Rocknrolla35
P.S.
As i said, there are also good NEW bands out there, both in more oldschool, and newer genres of rock and metal, it's jsut that today, the mainstream is still ruled mostly by modern rock. That's for now, of course.(I, for example,would REEALLY like to form an oldschool Hard rock/Metal band and add my input into taking TRUE Rock'N'Roll back to where it belongs, and i will certainly do so in the future)

Whatever bands these are that you proclaim to be "good" are as tepid and uninspired as the bands you claim to be leaches on Rock and Metal music. You don't want something new, innovative, or interesting, all you want is something that does everything that Led Zeppelin did with somewhat-modern sounding production values and for it to be popular.

I don't know, nor do I care, whether Rock is a "dying genre" or not. All I care about is if good music is being produced, which it most certainly is. Oh, and Emo has more balls than all of the "classic" bands that you listed.
Quote by Morphogenesis26
Whatever bands these are that you proclaim to be "good" are as tepid and uninspired as the bands you claim to be leaches on Rock and Metal music. You don't want something new, innovative, or interesting, all you want is something that does everything that Led Zeppelin did with somewhat-modern sounding production values and for it to be popular.

I don't know, nor do I care, whether Rock is a "dying genre" or not. All I care about is if good music is being produced, which it most certainly is. Oh, and Emo has more balls than all of the "classic" bands that you listed.

real talk^
real rock and roll lives on. bands like umohreys mcgee and phish are raging it proper
I won't slave for beggars pay, likewise gold and jewels. But I would slave to learn the way, to sink your ship of fools.
Yes, Sabbath and Metallica obviously sold more than Madonna and the other pop stars of their time when they were at what is considered their peak.
I think you need to look up the meaning of "mainstream".
Quote by Morphogenesis26

I was going to rip into you, but then I realized that you were the person that gave me the baker cat and I just lost all hatred for you. Have a good night.
Quote by Morphogenesis26

Uhh, actually, they are NOT tepid and uninspired. And believe it or not, "something that does everything that Led Zeppelin did with somewhat-modern sounding production values and for it to be popular" is not ALL what i want either. What i want, is for REAL rock'n'roll to be put back into the throne that belongs to it. And to be a part of the movement that brings it back. Yeah, i am a sucker for that OLD rock'n'roll sound, i admit it. But hell, it's better to be an old-fashioned, dying-out dinosaur and cling to one's own guns, than to follow a lame trend.

And by the way, Emo IS ball-less. There is nothing wrong with being emotional, and writing songs about confessional topics. However, it is lame when something strong, vibrant and colorful gets changed in for something weak, gray, and nearly life-less.

That is what is wrong with modern-rock. It's ALL about depression. A lot of it is life-less and tame.
Quote by Rocknrolla35
And by the way, Emo IS ball-less. There is nothing wrong with being emotional, and writing songs about confessional topics. However, it is lame when something strong, vibrant and colorful gets changed in for something weak, gray, and nearly life-less.

That is what is wrong with modern-rock. It's ALL about depression. A lot of it is life-less and tame.

Name one Emo band, mother****er.
Quote by Morphogenesis26

BAM!

Right on the money.

Most of these bands are pretty much legacy bands, who's success is mostly attributed to people that just discovered their dad's record collection, went "WHYYY OH WHYYY IS THERE NO MOAR MUSIC LIKKE IN THE OLLL DAYS" and spend their days trying to capture the glory of the dead movement.

Not that I'm against the idea of a good rock band, but rather than concentrating on writing good songs, they try to prove how 'trve rock' they are... (reminds me of a few other genres, while I'm at it...).

There is plenty of great music being produced. You just need to look a bit deeper - sure it's not in the mainstream, but from where I stand that can only be a good thing.

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by Rocknrolla35
Uhh, actually, they are NOT tepid and uninspired. And believe it or not, "something that does everything that Led Zeppelin did with somewhat-modern sounding production values and for it to be popular" is not ALL what i want either. What i want, is for REAL rock'n'roll to be put back into the throne that belongs to it. And to be a part of the movement that brings it back. Yeah, i am a sucker for that OLD rock'n'roll sound, i admit it. But hell, it's better to be an old-fashioned, dying-out dinosaur and cling to one's own guns, than to follow a lame trend.

None of the bands you named are technically "REAL rock'n'roll", though.
Quote by Rocknrolla35

You do realize that 99% of "classic rock revival" and "trad-metal" is the definition of what's in bold, right? (Not that most classic rock had vibrancy or color to begin with).
& Emo > You.
Morph knows what he's talking about. And notice how you haven't replied since he challenged you to name one emo band.
(Watch guys. He's gonna say, like, Paramore.)
Quote by Morphogenesis26
Name one Emo band, mother****er.

I think you need to dial the rage back to around 1-2 there, hee-haw. This isn't a subject worth getting your nipples in such a twist over, sheesh(especially when it comes to emo)

Anyway the fact of the matter is(and it may be hard for some people to accept), rock and roll has been around for what, 60-70 years? It's all been done, man. Classic-sounding rock bands are few and far between because there is just nowhere to go with it anymore. All of those bands were "brilliant", as you put it, because they were are the forefront of an emerging new sound of rock and were pioneers of their generation for it.

That's partially why all of these sub-genres of rock exist in this day and age. New generations of music fans have emerged, and rock had to branch out to try appealing to a new crowd. Obviously not everyone was going to like each different type of rock-based music that evolved from this but that's life.

Your only options are to either try and find some tolerable bands to get your feet wet and try exploring or continue living in the past. As far as music goes, there's nothing wrong with sticking to the older bands but eventually you'll probably get sick of it. But hey that's just preference. What it boils down to is music is a fluid art, always changing and thus it's fans are changing to adapt to the new sounds. There's nothing you can do about it.
Quote by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Stop being narrow-minded and look beyond the mainstream, and you'll find a lot of bands as good as back in the day. Good rock and metal is far from dying - it just stopped getting as much mainstream attention as in the 70s and 80s.

Also, don't make up lame excuses to not appreciate good bands like 80% of the UG community does. Once you widen your horizons, you'll be able to appreciate music a lot more.
Quote by TheUltimateSin
I think you need to dial the rage back to around 1-2 there, hee-haw. This isn't a subject worth getting your nipples in such a twist over, sheesh(especially when it comes to emo)

I am insulted that you think you have the authority to speak of my nipples and whether they are twisted or not.

I was having a bad day that day, sorry.
Quote by Morphogenesis26
I am insulted that you think you have the authority to speak of my nipples and whether they are twisted or not.

I was having a bad day that day, sorry.

I'm actually a leading authority on nipple-twist inducing situations around these parts
Quote by Resiliance

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Quote by ManInTheBox14
You do realize that 99% of "classic rock revival" and "trad-metal" is the definition of what's in bold, right? (Not that most classic rock had vibrancy or color to begin with).
& Emo > You.
Morph knows what he's talking about. And notice how you haven't replied since he challenged you to name one emo band.
(Watch guys. He's gonna say, like, Paramore.)

I didn't reply yet, because i have a life outside of UG.
As for naming any emo bands, there is much debate over which emo band is true, and which is a poser band.
Well, regardless of that, here are some emo bands:
Brand New, Thrice, Saves The Day, Matchbook Romance, Dashboard Confessional, Jimmy Eat World, Saves The Day.
Quote by Braykah
Stop being narrow-minded and look beyond the mainstream, and you'll find a lot of bands as good as back in the day. Good rock and metal is far from dying - it just stopped getting as much mainstream attention as in the 70s and 80s.

Also, don't make up lame excuses to not appreciate good bands like 80% of the UG community does. Once you widen your horizons, you'll be able to appreciate music a lot more.

Well, i didn't make a lame excuse to not to appreciate good bands. I admit, that there are SOME good modern bands. The thing is that i don't like most of what is in the mainstream now, and i think that many of the classic bands, like RATT, Black Sabbath, Nazareth, Bon Jovi, Motley Crue should be in the mainstream, because they DO deserv it without a doubt. Most of the classic bands consist of GREAT musicians, and GREAT musicians deserve to be in the mainstream. If you compare the MAINSTREAM music of 70s and 80s to the most music of the 90s and the 21st century, then it's obvious, that music has pretty much gone downhill.
Quote by TheUltimateSin

Anyway the fact of the matter is(and it may be hard for some people to accept), rock and roll has been around for what, 60-70 years? It's all been done, man. Classic-sounding rock bands are few and far between because there is just nowhere to go with it anymore. All of those bands were "brilliant", as you put it, because they were are the forefront of an emerging new sound of rock and were pioneers of their generation for it.

That's partially why all of these sub-genres of rock exist in this day and age. New generations of music fans have emerged, and rock had to branch out to try appealing to a new crowd. Obviously not everyone was going to like each different type of rock-based music that evolved from this but that's life.

Your only options are to either try and find some tolerable bands to get your feet wet and try exploring or continue living in the past. As far as music goes, there's nothing wrong with sticking to the older bands but eventually you'll probably get sick of it. But hey that's just preference. What it boils down to is music is a fluid art, always changing and thus it's fans are changing to adapt to the new sounds. There's nothing you can do about it.

I think there IS something we can do about it. We can make NEW oldschool-style music. Actually, it is already happening. I myself know a few bands, that are going TOTALLY with the oldschool style and sound.
Quote by Emenius Sleepus
BAM!

Right on the money.

Most of these bands are pretty much legacy bands, who's success is mostly attributed to people that just discovered their dad's record collection, went "WHYYY OH WHYYY IS THERE NO MOAR MUSIC LIKKE IN THE OLLL DAYS" and spend their days trying to capture the glory of the dead movement.

Not that I'm against the idea of a good rock band, but rather than concentrating on writing good songs, they try to prove how 'trve rock' they are... (reminds me of a few other genres, while I'm at it...).

There is plenty of great music being produced. You just need to look a bit deeper - sure it's not in the mainstream, but from where I stand that can only be a good thing.

Well, it's not always done to prove, how tr00 people, who do it, are.
And even when it is, it often has to do ith their love for that kind of music too.
Quote by Rocknrolla35
I think there IS something we can do about it. We can make NEW oldschool-style music. Actually, it is already happening. I myself know a few bands, that are going TOTALLY with the oldschool style and sound.

There already are bands that have tried. An example could be Airbourne; they tried to bring back AC/DC's sound and style. The popularity of that style among the current generation just isn't there though. They make a valiant attempt, but today's trends of music just drown it out for the most part, so it doesn't get the type of following it could have 20 years ago.
Quote by Resiliance

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Quote by Euphenic
I understand your point but I disagree with the whole '' back to the past '' rock that you expect to hear nowadays. There are almost 20 years gone from the grunge scene and a lot more from 80's,70's and 60's. A decade of music expresses the needs and the fears of that particular decade only. Do you believe that we , in 2013, have the same beliefs with the youth of the 60's or the 70's etc... and therefore we need to express it in the same way? Music has evolved since then and is still evolving . I understand that you dont appreciate rock music nowadays since neither do I but you haeve to accept that we live in different times and I really hate listening to bands which try to have and 70's look and sound.I believe that in the near future a new form of rock will rise like it did in the decades before ours.

Well, even though you have a point, i can't really agree ith you. There is nothing wrong with bands, that try to go with the 70s look and sound. In fact, this is something that i LOVE to hear and see. I myself want to eventually do this kind of thing.
The Emo bands are what I expected. Pop Rock bands who used to have some ties to Emo music, but got big because of their Pop Rock-ness.

Quote by Rocknrolla35
Well, i didn't make a lame excuse to not to appreciate good bands. I admit, that there are SOME good modern bands. The thing is that i don't like most of what is in the mainstream now, and i think that many of the classic bands, like RATT, Black Sabbath, Nazareth, Bon Jovi, Motley Crue should be in the mainstream, because they DO deserv it without a doubt. Most of the classic bands consist of GREAT musicians, and GREAT musicians deserve to be in the mainstream. If you compare the MAINSTREAM music of 70s and 80s to the most music of the 90s and the 21st century, then it's obvious, that music has pretty much gone downhill.

I don't see much difference in quality comparing old popular Rock bands to new ones. I guess the new one's style isn't as fresh sounding. I also don't think those mainstream Rock bands of years past are of much quality either. I see bands like Van Der Graaf Generator and Gentle Giant go largely unnoticed when their best work was released and those musicians are miles ahead of every band you listed. So, meh.

I've found quite a number of great bands from the '60's, '70's, '80's, '90's, '00's, and '10's, and not just in Rock music, it's in many different genres like Hardcore, Screamo, Dark Cabaret, Downtempo, Post-Hardcore, Doom Metal, Jpop, Black Metal, Trip-Hop, Glitch, EDM, Martial Industrial, Neofolk, and so on and so forth. So, with all of this music to listen to and appreciate, why worry about a certain, dated sound of music that doesn't have anywhere else to go and it's continuity?

Also; there is an edit button on your posts, so if you have something to reply to but there's no posts after your last post, just add whatever it is into your last post instead of making a million posts in a row.
Yeah, that's what I figured. I went to the wiki page for "Emo" and all those band's names popped out immediately.
i really love how TS lumps RATT, WASP, Motley Crue, and Europe in with Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath

that first post really sums it all up
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Quote by whywefight
Ten bucks he got those emo bands from this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_emo_artists

every band he mentioned is on it.

also, thrice and brand new are ****ing awesome and ts can shove it

Definitely. He even named Saves the Day twice
It's okay guys, he thinks Bon Jovi and Ratt are good bands, he obviously doesn't want us to take him seriously.
Hey, it's TS's life. If he wants to live on a prayer, we'll be there for him. Always. Because we can. We'll bring back rock and roll with a blaze of glory. I don't want to be misunderstood, it'll be no bed of roses.

That's all the puns I could think of from the top video results on youtube. Have a nice day
Page 1 of 4