Hey all,
I'm looking for an overdrive since I'm selling off the BD-2 I'm using now. The treble finally got to me. However, I loved it's tone for the most part, the transparency, and the dynamics. It cleaned up super well and went from light breakup to heavy od.

I need that again, but in a not so shrill pedal. I have narrowed it down to:
MI Audio Blues Pro
TC Electronic Mojomojo Drive
Carl Martin DC Drive
Boss OD-3

If anyone has any input on any of these, or perhaps others you think fit the criteria better, it'd be much appreciado! Haha. I'm not a big fan of TS's or their clones though!
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
I am infinitely in love with my Way Huge Green Rhino, so do yourself a favour and check that out!
It's very transparent and very dynamic.
The extra controls on it allows you to sculpt your sound very well as well before it hits the amp.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
cmat mods signa. touch sensitive, cleans, up with volume roll off, and 3 modes from clean boost to tubescreamer with way more gain
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
timmy

if you're not a fan of a ts then avoid the mi audio, far as i'm aware it's TS-based.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm aware that the blue boy is a ts, but is the blues pro as well?

My amp is a Twin reverb reissue so there's lots of headroom. I need an od with good pedal based od, not one that will push an amp.

I play blues and rock, classic rock and alternative, and post rock.

Thanks for the input!
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
oh ok, maybe avoid the timmy then

yeah i think the blues pro is too

and the signa drive that's been mentioned above is too

if in doubt, it's probably a ts. moral of the story.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you don't want it to drive the amp and you want to use the pedal's own clipping then you don't actually want an OD pedal, what you're after is a distortion pedal.

Try the Boss DynaDriveessentially the same as the Blues Driver but with more range in the clipping and tone controls and less range in the level control—the DigiTech Hardwire Valve Distortion or Blackstar HT-Dist. The HT-Drive and Hardwire Tube Overdrive are als decent options, as they're some of the few OD pedals that actually do have enough clipping to be used like a distortion pedal in their own right.
The advantage of the Boss is that it's the same sort of thing you're used to working with, just a bit more expansive so you can tailor the sound to your needs better. The advantage of the DigiTech and Blackstar pedals is they have more controls with which to pick your tone. Additionally, the Blackstars are basically hybrid preamps, which you may prefer if you want a warmer tone with less treble.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
That's what I'm learning along this quest :lol:
Which I hate to just blindly disregard all TS clones, as plenty of my favorite tones have been TSs I'm sure, but there are some...theres just this sound that I've heard from so many of the that I just don't like...I don't know if it's the mid hump, or the low gain, or what, but I just can't get behind it.

So that leaves me with the Mojomojo or OD-3. I've heard all good things about the OD-3, mostly good some bad things about th mojomojo. However, I'm kind of leaning towards the latter...
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
Cmatmods Signa Drive, Mad Professor Little Green Wonder (HW or CB doesn't matter), Visual Sound Open Road (surprising pedal...don't understand the disregard towards them), Rawkworks Light Drive or Night Drive.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by Dave_Mc
timmy

if you're not a fan of a ts then avoid the mi audio, far as i'm aware it's TS-based.

I have one, and I'd disagree with that.

I also have a Digitech Bad Monkey on my board, which I know is just a TS clone, but there's quite a difference between the two. (Oh, I suppose I should specify that the low/high knobs on the Bad Monkey are both set at noon, no boost or cut)

- The Blues Pro is definitely a fuller sounding OD than the BM, which was exactly why I got it. IMO, it's ballsier, and doesn't have near the mid-spike that a TS-type pedal does.

- The Blues Pro has more gain and volume on tap.

- The Blues Pro also cleans up nicely. I use a Jet City JCA20 (set with light gain) and using the volume on my guitars to clean up the sound, even with the BP on, I get a good clean-ish tone with just the right amount of "sparkle" to the sound.

- The Blues Pro responds really well to picking dynamics, which couples nicely with the fact that it cleans up quite pleasingly.

All in all, I love my Blues Pro. It's my main OD when I want to get into dirty territory.

EDIT: I'll also add in that while my ear for OD-transparency might not be as discerning (or picky) as some, I feel the Blues Pro does a good job of boosting my amp's slightly-dirty base setting without much coloring of it's own.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Last edited by sjones at May 17, 2013,
Crazy Tube Circuits Ziggy/Stardust (more gain) or the Stardust Blackface version (if you like the dimed blackface sound)
^^ I'm assuming you mean you disagree that the blues pro is TS-based. things can be based on something and sound a fair bit different, you can often change the tone a fair bit with a single judicious component swap.

of course, that maybe means that disregarding any and all ts-based ods isn't the best plan... on the other hand, if you know you don't like them, buying a ts-based pedal unless you've tried it and liked it is probably silly, too.

fwiw while i'd agree the bad monkey isn't identical in sound to a ts, it does sound pretty close, to my ears. it's pretty clear it's ts-based, if you ask me.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?