Page 1 of 2
How much money would it take to get you to stop listening to music?

You would have your instruments taken away, can't play any music in your car, watch videos, can't go to concerts or shows. Of course you wouldn't be able to escape background music at stores or whatever, but you can't choose to listen to music.

I think if I was payed $250,000 a year I could find another occupying hobby to where I could be happy like traveling, surfing or something like that, any less and I don't think I could do it.

If you couldn't give up listening, would you stop playing instruments for a certain amount?
It means enough that the first woman I meet who is my age and knows who David Gilmour is will be my wife.

Oh, uh. I have plenty of other hobbies if for some reason I gave up my instrument. I'd ask for the price of my instruments plus a little more to help fund my other interests.

Oh shit, can't even listen to music? I need to learn to read OPs. In that case, it would be much harder to name a price. In the previously mentioned "other hobbies" I often listen to music as well.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Last edited by eGraham at May 16, 2013,
Uhh... I think that's kind of a dumb question. Normal people listen to music. It's natural. It's not something you really sell out for money.

Giving up your instrument on the other hand is more of a legitimate question. That would have to be a pretty high price. Like, enough to be set for life high. It's my biggest hobby in the world, so it wouldn't be easy for me to give up.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
I hate the cliche, music is my life, but removing all forms of music from my life would drive me insane. Over half of my free time has some sort of music, whether it's the main focus or just something to have on in the background.

250k honestly doesn't sound like enough, considering I'd feel like shit with silence.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
I went about 6 months without listening to music once. Just didn't feel like it for some reason. So I know I can be fine and happy without. But it's my favorite hobby that I plan on having for decades.
If I were to get an appropriate amount like $5M then what am I gonna do, yes I would chill out at a beach house but without a ****ing guitar, what's the point.
No music at ALL? No ipods, phones, radios? No videos?!
Can I at least sing?

$200 000 a year should be able to distract me enough...
I don't need your hypothetical $250,000. Soon I will have real $250,000 and still have the musics

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Cant see a life without music
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Quote by Kamikaze1014
If I had that kind of money, I'd just want to buy musical equipment with it.

So no.

+1 same
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Literally, if I was to become deaf, I would simply kill myself. Fuck that Beethoven bullshit
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
Quote by donegan_zealot
...I could find another occupying hobby to where I could be happy...

This, right here. I wholeheartedly agree.

If i was paid enough money to start semi-pro racing (either rally or track racing) regularly, or dealing in rare/exotic cars (buying and selling cars, restoring vintage cars to sell for profit, etc...) in my free time, i think i could do it since it's a huge passion of mine. I simply don't have the financial means to do it yet.

But i don't know how much money it would take, specifically.

For regular racing, i think 500,000.00€ per year (on the first year, at least) would be enough -- new car, adaptation to its racing class standards, a nice stock of quick-degradation parts like brake pads and tires to burn through, a small trailer to transport the car, and a couple of hired mechanics for assistance.

For car dealing, it'd require enough money to build the initial stock, plus cover all expenses for restoring the first vintage cars among the initial stock that needed it.
Keep those cars for a while, enjoy them, and start selling'em when i get tired of them, then get new cars.
Maybe 300,000.00€ would be enough to buy/restore (to absolutely mint condition) 4 or 5 interesting cars per year as a hobby. Mind you, i'm talking about really special cars -- Porsche, Lotus, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Audi, BMW, Alfa Romeo, etc. -- and that s#it's expensive as hell.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
It means a lot to me

I had little to no direction in life before I discovered music
Since then, it's been an endearing part of my life which I don't want to lose at all
You guys sure love your music! I would probably settle for like 40.000euro/year. Not like I couldn't find anything else to do in my free-time
You'll Never Walk Alone!
Life would feel rather empty without music. It can make rather monotonous tasks fun or at least bearable. So I suppose, there isn't really enough money in the world.
No amount of money could convince me to live that life. I'd be far happier as I am now.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
It would be utterly impossible to never listen to music ever again. You couldn't watch any tv, you couldn't watch any films, play games, go outside in case you heard a radio, it's so much a part of culture you might as well say 'how much would it take to get you to stop looking at things'.
Quote by BelowTheSun
It would be utterly impossible to never listen to music ever again. You couldn't watch any tv, you couldn't watch any films, play games, go outside in case you heard a radio, it's so much a part of culture you might as well say 'how much would it take to get you to stop looking at things'.

I'd remove my eyes for four billion dollars.
Yeah i would do it.Its like what tim robbins says in the shawshank redemtion.You play the music over in your head and no one can take it away.You couldnt fill your head with anything new obiviously but i would make do with what ive heard so far.I would also find a new hobby to keep me busy.
If you'd pay me $55k a year after tax, I'll stop playing any instruments forever no probs.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
TS is probably like one of those Asking Alexandria fan scene girls that always talks about how music is her life and her favorite bands totally get her (with their generic lyrical themes) more than her parents ever could, but meanwhile she probably isn't even aware of anything other than the vocals and the fact that the guitars and drums are making some sort of sounds in what seems to be some sort of pattern.

Except not a scene girl and probably ugly and stupid.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by entity0009
I'd remove my eyes for four billion dollars.

Being blind would increase your marketability. It's a win-win.
I wouldn't do it for any price. I can just as easily make whatever money I'll demand while still listening to music. Plus, music is in everything, you'd have to cut out a lot of shit from your life just to do this. Hence, no dealio.
I wouldn't do it. Not because "music is my life" or any such nonsense, but because I enjoy music and hold it in higher regard than extra money.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
another irritating, pointless hypothetical
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
Quote by girlgerms007
another irritating, pointless hypothetical

How much would it take for you to stop illustrating your innate grasp of the incredibly obvious?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by theogonia777
TS is probably like one of those Asking Alexandria fan scene girls that always talks about how music is her life and her favorite bands totally get her (with their generic lyrical themes) more than her parents ever could, but meanwhile she probably isn't even aware of anything other than the vocals and the fact that the guitars and drums are making some sort of sounds in what seems to be some sort of pattern.

Except not a scene girl and probably ugly and stupid.

damn, I should have realized some of the pit hadn't passed their reading comprehension classes yet. let me break it down. I said I could give up music meaning I'm not talking about "how music is my life". you should probably wipe your screen clean from all that puss you got on it from popping pimples on your webcam before you say anything else stupid.
Music isn't just a hobby to me, it's incredibly meaningful, and no amount of money could make me give it up. (I could give up playing probably, but not listening)
Quote by BelowTheSun

It really wasn't supposed to be taken so literally, you could still do all those things you listed. Damn, it's impossible to ask a hypothetical without people searching for loopholes and saying "what-if's"
I think you mean, damn, it's impossible for anyone to pose a question without considering all the possible implications and restrictions.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by eGraham
I think you mean, damn, it's impossible for anyone to pose a question without considering all the possible implications and restrictions.

I did say the whole idea was you can't choose to listen to music, like actively trying to listen to something you want to. I thought I was clear enough, I guess not.
It means everything to me basically. If I couldn't play tunes in my car I'd probably stop driving. I'm so busy lately I never get a chance to really play guitar for "me" pretty much the only time I get to play is two days a week for jazz ensemble. Now that summers around the corner I'll be able to start playing again and jamming with people so im getting psyched.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Couldn't give me any amount of money or sex for the lack of music. Giving up playing guitar would be really sad but I could live without it in the end. I'm not sure if I'd accept money in exchange though, I don't even really care about money. If I were rich I'd spend it all on music.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by donegan_zealot
I thought I was clear enough, I guess not.
You were clear. I still think its a dumb question, to be honest.
Again, the instrument part is way more understandable, but not the listening to music part.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Page 1 of 2