Saw an ad on craigslist for one of these for $140. Has anyone played or owned one of these? How are they? Would it be a good price to pay for?
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
I owned one, and it was the second worst guitar I've ever owned.

However a lot of people here say they love theirs and have no problems. So just play it first and make a decision yourself. If it's good, then yeah that price isn't bad.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
That's a great price if you want one. Having played them I'd say it's an entry level guitar that depends heavily on a good setup.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I have one and mine is very nice, but some are total crap. If you find a good one they are an awesome budget guitar.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you like the SG style, LTD makes some pretty nice SG knock-offs from about the 400-line and up. You can get them with Seymour Duncan passives.

$140 is a good price for a G400, but who knows if the guitar itself is any good or not.

You could wait and build up your cash and get a nice used Gibson SG for around $450-500, if that's an option.
I've got one. It was my 2nd guitar and served me well for just over a year until the electronics crapped out on me. For $140 it's a great price, but imo the pickups aren't that great sounding.
It's all personal preference. I love my G400. The pickups sound fine for me (Hard Rock). It depends on what you are playing really. They are decently built guitars so for $140.00 it is well worth it if it is in good condition. I usually see them for around $200 used. Check it out for yourself and decide from there. The entry level ones are the G310 and specials. The G400 is a better unit than those.

As for the electronics...it is usually just the switch that goes on them, but that is something that happens with just about every Epiphone after a while. $10 part and a little solder to fix.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
Quote by samuraigoomba
If you like the SG style, LTD makes some pretty nice SG knock-offs from about the 400-line and up. You can get them with Seymour Duncan passives.

$140 is a good price for a G400, but who knows if the guitar itself is any good or not.

You could wait and build up your cash and get a nice used Gibson SG for around $450-500, if that's an option.

You can get used Gibson faded SG's for $350-$400 all day pay more than that and your a sucker
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at May 16, 2013,
Ex-g-310 owner here.

I still regret cheaping out and getting the g-310 over the g-400, the 400 really is a damn-fine guitar with a few mods.

The thing has specs you'd see on a low end Gibson, and with some mods it can probably be on-par or better than a low end Gibson.

For 140, check it out!
Last edited by WilhelmTGFRyan at May 16, 2013,
Epi Standards have the same specs as Gibson Studios, doesn't make them on par.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I bought one used , it was a terrible guitar. Built wrong, crap pickups.

Nice to look at and I liked the neck profile, otherwise it was a pile.

I was going to upgrade the pups but it had a weak neck, wouldn't stay in tune when you played

Stop playing and check the tuning, it was fine. Start playing again, sounded like it was out of tune.

Sold it a few months later for more than I paid for it.

$140 is too much for those IMHO I cant believe they list at $400ish
What the hell!!!
Quote by danvwman
I bought one used , it was a terrible guitar. Built wrong, crap pickups.

Nice to look at and I liked the neck profile, otherwise it was a pile.

I was going to upgrade the pups but it had a weak neck, wouldn't stay in tune when you played

Stop playing and check the tuning, it was fine. Start playing again, sounded like it was out of tune.

Sold it a few months later for more than I paid for it.

$140 is too much for those IMHO I cant believe they list at $400ish

Sounds like you don't know how to intonate a guitar properly.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
No, it was perfect at idle. breath on the neck and it would change, I am not joking.
What the hell!!!
Actually if it were not for the weak neck I would have kept it. The neck was set in too low and I had to modify the bridge to sit lower. I actually got the action and intonation perfect.

I really wanted to like it and keep it, it wasn't happening.
What the hell!!!
Quote by danvwman
No, it was perfect at idle. breath on the neck and it would change, I am not joking.

If it was in tune then when you played it was out but when you checked it was still good, that says to me that the intonation was not right

Not saying your totally wrong, but that's what it seems like
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
No, 12th fret was spot on. ANY pressure the neck would make it go out of tune, like doing that push on the headstock trick, only it would happen when you didn't want it too.

My 12 other guitars I set up are fine.

This sg400 was a pile, hopeless. Like the neck was balsa wood.
What the hell!!!
I've played one as a backup. It's nothing special but for $140 you might have a pretty good find. If I was short on cash and needed a guitar I'd probably pick one up because they're so cheap and they have Grover tuners on most of them.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
I have heard of people complaining about similar things, but I have not experienced this.

Just try not to rape your guitar and it should act fine(normally)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
You can get used Gibson faded SG's for $350-$400 all day pay more than that and your a sucker

Well I guess I know what my next guitar is going to be then.