Thinking about getting an epiphone les paul custom in the next few weeks and was wondering if the pickups it comes with are any good or if I should swap them. I'll be playing mostly high gain stuff on a sheffield equipped peavey bandit..
Cheers!
High gain. Hmm. Like metal?

It would be easy to say an EMG set and be done with it....

But in all honestly, in my opinion, you'd benefit from an amp upgrade first. The Peavey bandit isn't bad, theres just many other options more closely suited to higher gain tones, ala 5150/6505. If you're on a budget a vyper could suit.
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Why not consider getting a guitar that already has the pickups you want?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I currently dont have a guitar haha I sold it to pay some bills I'll eventually upgrade but want a guitar first and I've always wanted a les paul. I want a tone SIMILAR to adam jones
What is your budget?

Where in the world are you located?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
However much the guitar and pups cost.. I'm gonna go to the rockshop this week and get a price and see how much more I need to save. Located in New Zealand
Ah.

I'm not sure what the market is like in NZ, but in the US you can get a used Gibson LP Studio for less than a new Epi LP Custom. I asked cause if you were planning to go new, I'd recommend going used and just getting a Gibby.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yup. And in some countries now you can get a new Gibson LPJ for the same price as an Epiphone LP Custom. In fact you can definitely get an LPJ, Studio or Faded for the same price as an Epi LP Custom + pickups.

Do remember that as nice as the Epi Customs look, they're actually no different from the Standards; you're paying more just for the look. And their 'gold' hardware tends to tarnish and turn silver/brown after a few weeks' use.

Anyhoo, it's never a good idea to plan out a pickup swap until you have the guitar in your hands. Some guitars sound naturally brighter or darker than others, so you can't tell what pickups will be good for you until you own it.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.