Hello, guys! I would like to know your thoughts about a good pedal partner for a distortion pedal. Your self-preferences about this thread and what kind of sound you can produce or make with that kind of combination. I have a Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion pedal, and I think it's about time to find a partner for this one. I'm thinking of buying the Boss BF-3 Flanger for some kind of experimental stuff and other classic rock made with this kind of effect, or maybe the Boss TR-2 Tremolo for the classic songs too. So, what pedal, in your opinion, should I partner with my Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion pedal. Please don't tell me that "hey dude, it's your choice don't ask us", because I really really know that, almost all of the people say that all the time, what I just want to know here is your opinion about this kind of stuff, and I, myself, do have a personal choice so there's no need of reminding it again. Thanks!
Whatever you want.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by mightycornholio
Uhm, what I want is a Boss BF-3 Flanger. That would be cool.

Then get one.

People use lots of things with distortion. You could use anything. I use lots of things.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Get a delay.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Boss have cheap buffers that sound poop.
I use nothing with distortion. No effects just sounds the best to me. I like my cleans without effects (other than my amp's built-in reverb and very seldom chorus), same with distortion. Delay is sometimes cool for leads. It really depends on what you want to play. But rhythm sounds usually are without too many effects because usually effects just make your sound more unclear.

If you like the sound of a flanger then buy a flanger. I bought a chorus and think it was kind of a mistake because I don't really use it any more. Back when I bough it I was a 80s music addict and needed it for the 80s cleans. But then I noticed it makes my amp sound too dark when the effect is off due to my long cables and stopped using it. Though it sounds really cool with my bass and I use it a lot with my bass.

The thing is, you might not need any pedals. Yes - flanger is sometimes cool but do you really need it? I have decided that I'm not going to buy any pedals because I don't find that much use for them.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at May 16, 2013,
This is like asking "what should I have for lunch? Pick anything, I don't know what food I like."

You really can't start comparing the value of a flanger and a tremolo, or chorus, or phaser, or octaves, harmonies or anything else.

If you want a flanger, get a flanger.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I prefer to jack directly from the guitar into my arsehole.

If you don't really know what you want, buy yourself a multi effects unit & experiment.
Flangers are novelties, you can do the intro to Killing In The Name Of and that's about it. Especially if you're going to use it frequently, it'll get annoying; I'd recommend a good delay or wah. Obviously it's your choice, but flangers are relatively limited.
I have no sig, and neither do I want one.
BOSS suck.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by jimmydvn
Flangers are novelties, you can do the intro to Killing In The Name Of and that's about it. Especially if you're going to use it frequently, it'll get annoying; I'd recommend a good delay or wah. Obviously it's your choice, but flangers are relatively limited.

They can be used for clean tones though like chorus. But yeah, modulation + distortion doesn't really sound that great, unless it's just a touch of chorus. Or phaser at a very low rate to get that Van Halen sound. It fits some parts, yeah, but not that many. It's pretty easy to make your distorted sound very unclear with modulation pedals.

But yeah, if you like flanger + distortion sound, buy it (and of course if you like it without distortion). But if you don't know what it will sound like, don't. Maybe try a multi FX pedal. It will give you a good picture of how different effects sound like.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Also, check out Matt Bellamy of Muse & Johnny Greenwood of Radiohead. They often use bizarre effects with distorted guitars to produce unusual sounds.

Modulation effects & distorted guitars should be used very very modestly or during small parts of songs. An entire 40-minute set with a constant phaser is going to get on your tits.
I just went crazy and went from having 1 pedal last year to buying nearly 30 pedals in the last year.

It's the most fun, ever. Get a delay. The EHX Deluxe Memory Man is a great one. Opt for the Deluxe Memory Boy if money is an issue.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil at May 16, 2013,
TS, what amp are you pushing these through?
Quote by jimmydvn

and van halen. and paul gilbert. and police. and rush. and muse. and tool. and pink floyd. and dinosaur jr. and RHCP. and the cure. and a whole host of other bands which apparently went completely over your head.
Quote by ProphetToJables
BOSS suck.

Boss doesn't suck, your advice does.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
Boss doesn't suck, your advice does.

also this. the ce-2 is probably the most cloned chorus by both boutique and mass-producing pedal companies. because it's ****ing great.
Quote by mightycornholio
Uhm, what I want is a Boss BF-3 Flanger. That would be cool.

Definitely look into the BF-2, I like it quite a bit better.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
TS, what amp are you pushing these through?

A Fender Super Champ X2 Head and Cab.
Quote by mightycornholio
A Fender Super Champ X2 Head and Cab.

Aren't the built in sounds good? Why do you want to buy these pedals when you pretty much have everything built in to the amp?

Are you not satisfied with the distortion tones you get with your amp?

I'm not sure if the Boss distortion will sound any better than your amp's built in distortion.

If you want footswitchability, buy a footswitch.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115