Hello,

I've started out with electric bass almost 2 weeks ago and I've been playing Drums for 4 years and guitar almost 2 years. I picked up the bass because it's impossible to find a bassist where I live for the band. So I chose to be the bassist, which is a lot of fun though. The problem is, well I know all the basic chords, alot of roots and so on. But I feel like im not learning anything. Sure it's easy to play a song from a tab but I don't really know what I'm playing to be honest. It's a little hard to explain.

Is it a good thing to learn bass scales or what do you guys suggest to start with?

Thanks
Do you any theory? Any theory learned on guitar will apply to bass because musical theory is musical theory regardless the instrument. With bass you play to the music and play what is needed to elevate the song and keep it going in the right direction. Which some times can be root notes or two handing tapping if it fits. Playing through chord changes with leading tones and helping to reslove the chord changes is a big part of playing bass. You can try to learn tabs to see how its done and different styles of doing it but try just looking up chord charts to songs and making your own basslines to fit the progressions and the song.
Try to use your ears. Learn how different things sound like because music is about sound and you want to be able to play music so that it sounds like you want. Listen to what other bassists do. Remember that when you play the bass, rhythm is also very important. Your job is to make the song groove.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Welcome to the fraternity. Don't fret (see what I did there?) after two weeks you just have to do what you can, especially if you are in a band situation. You'll know from guitar playing that it often feels like you are plateauing then you suddenly find you are can play something you struggled with a few months ago.

there's some great bass lessons on here http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/bass_lessons/bass_lesson_part_2_-_the_role_of_the_bass_line.html but go look at Scottsbass for a really helpful mix of practical bass playing and useful theory. Look at the 'walking' thread here to find the lessons then root around to find the ones you need. Or have a look at these two https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1600927
Last edited by Phil Starr at May 16, 2013,
Thanks guys for the answers, I really appreciate it

Any good pdf's out there for free?
screw all that theory...... the Gods of guitar gave a dick to theory..... if its not happening then its not coming from inside..... if its not coming from inside, its not for u....... go on searching for a bassist & stick with ur previous instruments..... don't waste time learning everything......
Last edited by bluewaters999 at May 17, 2013,
bollocks ^.if anything i'd say TS is pretty well set up to play bass. has the experience of playing guitar so the transition to bass will be easier than starting from scratch and he has the experience of being a drummer and so i'm guessing a pretty good sense of rhythm.
i didn't learn any theory when i started playing but i reached a stage after a couple of years where i felt it was necessary to continue what i'm doing.
its all well and good getting a good ear or a good feel for what sounds good, but sometimes it is good to have an idea of what you know works and to go from there.
look at scotts bass lessons as mentioned above. i think if you donate a pretty small amount of money to him, you get pdfs for all his lessons?
correct me if i'm wrong though.
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Last edited by moody git at May 17, 2013,
Quote by bluewaters999
screw all that theory...... the Gods of guitar gave a dick to theory..... if its not happening then its not coming from inside..... if its not coming from inside, its not for u....... go on searching for a bassist & stick with ur previous instruments..... don't waste time learning everything......

Knowing theory doesn't limit you in any way. It just helps you understand music. And I don't see what's wrong with learning to understand what you are playing. I mean, people who know theory still play what they feel. They just are able to explain what they play.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by bluewaters999

thats like saying you can talk, read and write english without any basic understanding of it. YES its possible, but why? why take the harder route so it can be harder later? Impatience thats why
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Try to use your ears. Learn how different things sound like because music is about sound and you want to be able to play music so that it sounds like you want. Listen to what other bassists do. Remember that when you play the bass, rhythm is also very important. Your job is to make the song groove.

^

the trick is listening and understanding. learn your music by ear. the reason you feel like you're not learning anything is because you're not.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
well personally to me all that theory is harder to grapple with than just hear & learn by ear.... individual perspectives..........

i am not against theory or grammer..... u all got me wrong...... my point is don't waste time..... u can go on fighting with it for over a year, but in the end if u realise that its not for u then all that time is wasted.... whats the point in learning everything anyway? learn only what matters most for u, i.e. the instrument which comes naturally to u, for which u have a calling in ur heart.....

and remember, no matter in which century the world is, a Master is always way more appreciated than a Jack of all instruments......
Last edited by bluewaters999 at May 18, 2013,