Hey guys, I'm in the mood to grab a seven string since I just got my mesa. I really like that sound you get when mixing low tunings with that beast. So, I need some recommendations on good 7 strings. Now, I say good, not decent or price effective. I'm to the point where I know what I want and I'm not gonna buy some midline "decent" guitar ever again. But I don't want something crazy expensive either. Like, 2 grand is my cap. And that's USD.
Some bands I 've been listening to that I know use 7 and 8 strings are Parkway drive, Feared, meshuggah, and a couple others who's names escape me at the moment. But I hope from that you can all help! :
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier HD Multi-Watt
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100MLB
1960 A&B cabs
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Schecter C1+ (modded)
LTD EC-1000vb
Blueridge 160 CE
BOSS | TU-3 | DD-7
Line 6 G-50 wireless
Schecter/ESP if you like thick necks.
Ibanez if you like thin necks.
Agile/Jackson if you like medium thick necks.

Ernie Ball/Musicman John Petrucci Signature if you want one of the best guitars on the planet.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Last edited by Dream Floyd at May 16, 2013,
$2k?

Easy.

Its got to be any of the EBMM JP 7 range.

If you want a FR though, then the ESP Horizon FR7 is probably the nicest 7 within your budget that isnt a signiture model.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Id say Ernie Ball/Music Man or Ibanez Premium/Prestige. If you dont want to shell out for a EBMM you could always go for the cheaper alternative of a Sterling by Music Man 7 string, but with $2K id go for the Real deal!
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
conklin

join your bottom-octave brethren in rape and pillaging
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Schecter has some good 7's, and five years ago I would have recommended those without equivocation. They're still good, but some other folks have upped the ante a bit.

Carvin has some very good 7 and 8-string guitars available with *enormous* customization available. Always outstanding build construction and playability, but the woods and finish options are simply stunning.

Rondo Music has Agile 7, 8, 9 and even 10-string guitars, with and without trems, with and without fan frets and with several different scales to choose from. Kurt Zentmaier has evidently been spending a lot of time on sevenstring.org (and you should, before you buy) forums and has listened to requests. One of the first guitars he produced for them was the Texan, a 7-string tele.

The fan fret ("multi-scale") guitars are *definitely* worth a look. These have traditionally been available only for big bucks players who've been able to afford custom builders. Thus, you didn't see a lot of people playing them. But at the prices Rondo charges, a whole potload of people have waded in, and, like me, have found that these are not only NOT difficult to learn to play, but are actually more comfortable than a standard 6-string. Your wrist naturally moves to the positions that mirror the tilted frets, and they're very easy to get used to quickly. No problem moving back to a standard guitar, either.

http://undergroundguitarist.com/7-string-guitars-agilereview

If you live in the USA, you can find custom guitars in your price range, possibly even 7+ stringers.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
+1 on the Carvin. I live right down the street from their headquarters and have played several of their guitars. I'm really wanting a 7-string right now and in the back of my mind just trying to justify ways to fit a custom ordered Carvin into my budget.

The only downside with them is that the resale value is really pretty terrible. Not a problem if you don't trade around gear a lot, but it's something to consider.
Quote by ExDementia
+1 on the Carvin. I live right down the street from their headquarters and have played several of their guitars. I'm really wanting a 7-string right now and in the back of my mind just trying to justify ways to fit a custom ordered Carvin into my budget.

The only downside with them is that the resale value is really pretty terrible. Not a problem if you don't trade around gear a lot, but it's something to consider.

Yeah, I'm liking the Carvins a lot, and I like to hold on to what I get. I don't trade very much.
1960 A&B cabs
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Schecter C1+ (modded)
LTD EC-1000vb
Blueridge 160 CE
BOSS | TU-3 | DD-7
Line 6 G-50 wireless
Side-effect of Carvins not holding value: they're a steal on the used market. Keep your eyes open and you may just snag a bargain...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Side-effect of Carvins not holding value: they're a steal on the used market. Keep your eyes open and you may just snag a bargain...

I'll definitely keep that in mind, but there's not usually a big market for extended scale/7 string guitars over here by chicago.
1960 A&B cabs
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Schecter C1+ (modded)
LTD EC-1000vb
Blueridge 160 CE
BOSS | TU-3 | DD-7
Line 6 G-50 wireless
Also, I'm really liking the Schecter C-7 hellraiser, I may go to guitar center and try to find one
1960 A&B cabs
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Schecter C1+ (modded)
LTD EC-1000vb
Blueridge 160 CE
BOSS | TU-3 | DD-7
Line 6 G-50 wireless
Quote by MightySumo
I'll definitely keep that in mind, but there's not usually a big market for extended scale/7 string guitars over here by chicago.

Look online. I can't say you'll find one, but there's nothing wrong with buying used from a reputable seller.

And since you're in Chicago, I'll reiterate my suggestion of going custom. There's a luthier in Keokuk named Jon Kammerer that I have bought 5 guitars from...and I'm in Texas. His customs start around $2k. Look for him on Facebook- his website is being reconstructed.

EBMM JP7, otherwise go custom. Somebody mentioned Carvin, you could build the guitar of your dreams for $2000.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by ExDementia

There are two myths about Carvins. One is that their pickups are "sterile" and the other is that their resale value is terrible. Neither is true, particularly within the last five to ten years. But they do persist on the Internet.

Their newer C22 series pickups kick butt, and the H22s are actually a first choice with some folks who swap out pickups on other guitars.

The resale myth is the toughest to dispel. I have a half dozen Carvin guitars (and one bass). Some of these I picked up new, some used, and most of the used ones about ten years ago. At that time you could buy nearly anything Carvin off eBay for $325. No more. While a lot of guitars' resale values have gone *down* with the economy, Carvins seem to have come up, and on the order of double and triple what they were. I can't explain it, but I can grumble about it -- no more great deals for me. I got some extraordinary deals back when that I just can't come close to duplicating now. The flip side, I suppose, is that every single Carvin I own is worth more than what it cost brand new (my most recent new Carvin was purchased in 2006)
I can still find cheap used Carvins pretty easily:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-CARVIN-DOUBLE-CUT-GUITAR-108684505-i2985702.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-CARVIN-DC100-DBLCUT-BLK-ELEC-108677260-i3025712.gc

They're not 7s, but they are Carvins for under $400. They also had many others, like a Holdsworth with HSC for under $650. Finding them took 15 seconds, and I only looked in one place.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 16, 2013,
Did anyone mention Carvin :P

I remember picking up my first Carvin a few weeks ago. Oh my goodness it was a life-changing moment. I totally love my Les Paul, it's solid and has served me well, yet I couldn't help but think for that same price I could have bought a custom Carvin ...

Totally agree with dspellman. I was recently in the market for a 7-string and looked up a few secondhand Carvins. Apart from a few older models (circa 1900), everything was still fairly exxy.
Schecter Blackjack SLS C-7
Les Paul Studio with Nailbomb / Black Dog BK pups
Razorback Blades V
Axe-FX Ultra
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50
Ableton Live 8 with Nexus, Komplete 6, Predator, Sylenth
Numark NS7FX
Apart from a few older models (circa 1900), everything was still fairly exxy

Umm...pretty sure Carvin wasn't making guitars in 1900...

And again, price will vary depending on where you look. GC had a CCT under $1000. Not exactly an old axe, not exactly pricey.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 16, 2013,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I can still find cheap used Carvins pretty easily:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-CARVIN-DOUBLE-CUT-GUITAR-108684505-i2985702.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-CARVIN-DC100-DBLCUT-BLK-ELEC-108677260-i3025712.gc

They're not 7s, but they are Carvins for under $400. They also had many others, like a Holdsworth with HSC for under $650. Finding them took 15 seconds, and I only looked in one place.

Cheap doesn't mean lousy resale. There's a difference. The two you left a link for are late '70's guitars that were originally under $325 new (GC is asking $399 for each) (one is a DC 150, the other is a DC 100). Both are pretty worn, one's modified. Both are solid maple plank set neck guitars. Both discontinued around 1990. The Holdsworth H1 new (depending on the year) was probably around $719 . That doesn't make much of a case for lousy resale, does it?
1) Actually, the Holdsworth was an H2 with a quilted top and HSC- over a $1k guitar, for $650. I've seen guitars of similar quality at my local GCs still priced for 80% of new.

2) that was the result of a 15 second search at 1 retailer: search more, find more.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 17, 2013,
+! for either the EBMM JP7 or an Ibanez Prestige/Universe. You should be able to get one with your budget.

Carvin is another excellent choice. I don't like the neck nearly as much as Ibanez necks, but they sound like secks and have limitless options. The stock passive pickups for 7's are great, IMO.
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
Honestly, I'm a big an of Carvins (don't own one...yet), but have never felt the need for a 7+ string guitar...

...except that there have been something like a half-dozen NGDs on UG in the past 3 months featuring utterly stunning Carvin 7s.

Which means if I get a 7, I will more than likely be getting a (new) Carvin.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Umm...pretty sure Carvin wasn't making guitars in 1900...

And again, price will vary depending on where you look. GC had a CCT under $1000. Not exactly an old axe, not exactly pricey.

D'oh damn fat fingers and my iPhone forum surfing - I meant 1990.

But Danny raises a good point everyone - if someone attempts to sell you a 113 year old Carvin, be suspicious
Schecter Blackjack SLS C-7
Les Paul Studio with Nailbomb / Black Dog BK pups
Razorback Blades V
Axe-FX Ultra
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50
Ableton Live 8 with Nexus, Komplete 6, Predator, Sylenth
Numark NS7FX
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Honestly, I'm a big an of Carvins (don't own one...yet), but have never felt the need for a 7+ string guitar...

...except that there have been something like a half-dozen NGDs on UG in the past 3 months featuring utterly stunning Carvin 7s.

Which means if I get a 7, I will more than likely be getting a (new) Carvin.

Carvins are really overrated. A lot of the guys who tout them as "omg dey r da besT" have never owned a high end guitar before and buy a carvin after only owning things in the sub-$1000 range (usually).

The fretwork is usually pretty bad and IMO a prestige Ibanez is easier to play.

I would take another J-custom like I had anyday over a carvin.
Want to Buy:

UV7PWH
I wouldn't be one of those guys. There are several Carvin owners in my circle of friends, for one.

For another, I own 5 guitars by a luthier out of Illinois, and will own 2 by a guy from New York by the end of this year.

But then, I don't think Carvins are "the best", just very good.