Hi guys,

I didn't see a forum for keys so I decided to post here.

I currently play guitar but since keyboard players are hard to find, I decided to start learning the keys and play both on stage. I will be playing mostly Reggae keys.

So my questions are:

Any recommendations as far as the best way to play live(straight in to the PA, or amplify it)?
Good brand?
Should I use MIDI, or an USB keyboard to get sounds out of Logic/Garageband into the PA, and what's the best way to do that?
Anything else I need to know?

Thanks, any help is really appreciated!
www.youtube.com/user/AlexRGuitar
Gear:
-Egnater Renegade
-LTD EC-401VF
-LTD EC-256
Pedals:
-Crybaby 535Q, & Volume
-TC electronic NovaSystem
-Behringer VM1, VP1
-Line6 M5
-Joyo UD
-Boss NS-2, CH-1
-BBEBoostaGrande
-Moded FabEcho
Cool, thanks! I'll keep that in mind. And I'd hate to carry two amps, one for my guitar and one for the keys.
Gear:
-Egnater Renegade
-LTD EC-401VF
-LTD EC-256
Pedals:
-Crybaby 535Q, & Volume
-Behringer VM1, VP1
-Line6 M5
-Joyo UD
-Boss NS-2, CH-1
-BBEBoostaGrande
-Moded FabEcho
I use mine through the PA, it's easier and if you got a good PA system is sounds great.

I do recommend getting real keyboards/workstations/organs if you are planning to play live, but that's just personal for me. Some of my friends play through a midi keyboard and a computer but i prefer the real instrument.

Brand depends on what you are looking for. If it's just a keyboard, or if it's a workstation or an organ.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by Sickz

I do recommend getting real keyboards/workstations/organs if you are planning to play live, but that's just personal for me. Some of my friends play through a midi keyboard and a computer but i prefer the real instrument.

most people do both. it's not uncommon for more established keyboardists to have a good series of different synths/midi controllers and a laptop available, especially if the band uses backing tracks or self-controls monitors - keyboardists usually get to deal with that fun stuff if the sound guy doesn't
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
I am in the same situation as you, except for a rock band. I advice you get a keyboard with good sounds in it, directly into a PA. On stage monitors or headphone can carry out your needs for onstage amplification.

I first used a KorgX50 alone, but now I also use it as a MIDI controller for complex covers like rammstein. But I get weary of going to a show with a computer, an usb audio interface, all the additional cables required AND my guitar gear (this needs a lot of powersupplys scattered everywhere...). Especially that small clubs never have place for an elaborate keyboard stand with all this side-quipement.

Depending on your budget, Nord and Korg are two brands that build great keyboards, even in the midrange.

My 2 cents...
AGEGBand
Guitar / Bass / Keyboard / Back Vocals

Sterling JP50, Fender CP Jazzmaster, Danelectro Danoblaster 12 strings, Aria 5102T, Epiphone LP STD 7 string => Carvin V3M

Peavey Cirrus BXP-5 => Trace Elliot GP7SM250

Korg X50
Seeing as this is somewhat on topic, I'm thinking of getting myself a synth. My budget would be $600CDN at most. I'm looking to get something that can do Radiohead (Kid A type sounds) as well as The Postal Service and The Rentals. Any suggestions?
Very cool, lots of good info. I'll go to GC this week and try some out and see what'll work better for me.
Gear:
-Egnater Renegade
-LTD EC-401VF
-LTD EC-256
Pedals:
-Crybaby 535Q, & Volume
-Behringer VM1, VP1
-Line6 M5
-Joyo UD
-Boss NS-2, CH-1