Sup EG?

I bought a Schecter c-1 hellraiser for christmas from axemusic.com. Since I got it, it has crazy fret buzz pretty much all the strings all the way up the neck. I'm pretty sure I need to make a truss rod adjustment, but I don't wanna mess around with it until I get some advice. I can try raising the action but I'm pretty sure this is a case of the neck being too straight. Anybody have an opinion? How much should I adjust the rod? Should I take all the strings off before making the adjustment?

Thanks,

Steve
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
There are plenty of tutorials online about this. Honestly, if you're not sure, you probably ought to take it to a tech and ask if you can watch him make necessary adjustments. The truss rod isn't some mystical scary beast, but if you haven't adjusted one before, it's best to let someone more experienced show you how to make slight adjustments.

Have you inspected for bow? How high is your action? Have you done the fret test to check relief? Again, you may want to leave it to a pro the first time out, and just ask if you can watch him make the adjustments.
OffsetOffset
Thanks for the reply. I've adjusted truss rods before, but not on a $800 guitar and I really don't want to mess it up. Basically the strings are like almost on the neck. I play with a heavy picking hand and when I palm mute things, the string is on the neck and the note gets muted almost. It sounds worse than my Ibanez RG through my 5150. I can hear the buzz through my amp which obviously isn't good. Unfortunately, there's really no "good" techs around my area short of taking it to a local music store (which I've done before and was less than impressed with the results). And I would like to do my own work on my guitar. I've read about the truss online and feel that I know what to do, but I was just looking for some insight as to whether I'm on the right path.
Try raising your action first and adjusting your saddles for intonation. The truss rod is for minor tweaks, and shouldn't be used to substantially change the string height, at least that's how I see it. Check out YouTube if you're at all uneasy, and be sure to take your time with the setup. Generally I used 1/8th turns for very minor adjustments, some people use 1/4 turns, but my guitars are never really too far out of whack.
OffsetOffset
Ok, thanks guys. I think I'll adjust the action a little bit first and see if that makes a difference. If not, I think I'll give the rod a 1/4 turn. Should I take the strings off to make these adjustments? Also, it has the standard strings on it that came with it. I will be putting MUCH thicker strings on when I re-set it up. Thicker strings would require more clearance from the fretboard right?
Yeah, that changes a lot in this discussion. Put the heavy strings on first, then play with the bridge. IF you need to tweak the truss rod, leave the strings tuned up, or maybe 1/2 step down from where you keep it at. Give your guitar at least and hour between truss rod adjustments, and of course you can play it in that time.
OffsetOffset
Quote by DroptuneD
Ok, thanks guys. I think I'll adjust the action a little bit first and see if that makes a difference. If not, I think I'll give the rod a 1/4 turn. Should I take the strings off to make these adjustments? Also, it has the standard strings on it that came with it. I will be putting MUCH thicker strings on when I re-set it up. Thicker strings would require more clearance from the fretboard right?

What gauge and tuning are you going for? Yes, you'll have to adjust it a bit higher up depending on the gauge.

What I do to adjust my action is (I'm usually re-stringing my guitar at the time) set the strings with enough tension for them to sit in their saddles, but loose enough that I can easily adjust the bridge, and I just feel out how much fret buzz I get with it that loose and estimate how much that will change once I tune it up. This is probably not the most scientific way of doing things, but once you get to know your guitar a bit, it seems to work pretty well. I can estimate it the first time almost every time now, and maybe only have to make minor adjustments from there. Once you do it a few times it will be second nature.
I bought another Hellraiser recently, had crazy buzzing, (I use 10-52's by the way) I first adjusted the bridge up a little, helped somewhat, I also noticed that the neck had almost no relief in it so I gave it a little more. It still has some very minor buzz (as a lot of guitars do) but nothing you would notice with an amp on
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Last edited by RCA1186 at May 16, 2013,
I always hear people say that making slight adjustments in string gauge, up or down, doesn't matter, as the guitar will adjust accordingly. I switched from 10's to 9's on a guitar last week, as I had gotten a free pack of 9's and hadn't played light gauge in a while. Combined with some recently crazy humidity fluctuations (even in climate controlled rooms this is a factor), the guitar had to be completely readjusted. I'm switching back to 10's, even with the action and relief adjustment, and hopefully that will even things back out.

Like I said, switching to a much heavier gauge (9's to 12's for example), will likely require more adjustments than just the truss rod, or just the bridge. You may have to look to the nut as well, and how the slots are cut.
OffsetOffset
Awesome, I'm getting a lot of info here. I use the Ernie Ball "Not so slinky" strings for a 7 string guitar. Just eliminating the low E. We play in Drop A# tuning in the current band I'm in.