Hey guys

I do need a new guitar, I currently have a Les Paul and have upgraded the stock pickups to more high output Seymour Duncans, while I do love the sound I need something new and better playability wise. I hadn't really realised this until I had joined a gigging band.

So, these are the features I would like but there are too many guitar brands out there for me to possibly know where to start looking.

I want a double cutaway, I have an Ibanez RG which is my live backup, which while I prefer the neck on my Les Paul I find getting the access to those upper fret so much easier on the RG. So a guitar with a similar Les Paul neck & a double cut would be good.

Something which is more well balanced aswell (physically), on stage I feel playing my RG gives me a lot more room, I don't feel as if I'm carrying around a weighty piece of wood.

Not too bothered about stock pickups, as I will most likely upgrade bridge to a Bare Knuckle Aftermath and neck a Seymour Duncan Jazz. So a guitar with 2 stock humbuckers is needed, but I could do with just the one bridge pickup.

Decent scale length to handle Drop C/Drop B tunings, so not what my LP has which is 24 and 3/4. Maybe 25 or 25 1/2 would be better.

Price, I'm willing to save up to around maybe £800-1000 as it will be used in studio and gigged regularly so I do need a quality instrument, however there does come a time when I don't think the price of a guitar is justified.

So Pit, please help a brother. Where's a good place to start looking? I don't care about brand as long as it's a quality instrument!
Check out the LTD 1000 range guitars they have everything except that the neck is thinner than a LPs neck. Since you didn't say if you needed a trem or not i just found a good MH-1000 with duncans and the 25 1/2 scale length http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/ltd-guitar/mh-1000nt.html
If you dont mind swapping out the EMGs along with the pots on the other ones checkout the M, MH, and H 1000 guitars and most if not all have a Floyd and are all studio/gig worthy guitars.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Tama Drums/ Sabian
Agile's high end models like the Septor and Interceptor have necks right in between a LP and an RG, and are quality intruments for under 1000.
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
i totally would not buy an agile for £1000. seriously.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think DBZ and Schecter prefer thick necks though i may remember wrong.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I own both a Gibson LP and an ESP LTD MH1000FR and the LTD is much better for metal. I tune in D and the EMGs sound pretty sweet stock.
Quote by MaaZeus

Yeah, I played some Schecters, the necks were pretty thick, but he said he likes his Les Paul's neck, so maybe he could check out some Schecters.
http://www.chappellofbondstreet.co.uk/P~VIG-EXC-BFOOT-2009-B~Excalibur-2009-Bumblefoot-Signature-Model-in-Black-Sparkle-Finish-Ex-Display?attributes=

hmmmm, that or an agile or schecter...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by JackovSlayer
Yeah, I played some Schecters, the necks were pretty thick, but he said he likes his Les Paul's neck, so maybe he could check out some Schecters.

And thats why i mentioned it. Buuuut i remembered DBZ wrong. Not that they are thin but they use V-necks. Pretty much opposite from nice round LP neck.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
So you like the feel of the Gibson but you want a double cut for better fret access, lighter weight and under a grand?

Sir, I present to you...

Scale length and tuning are pretty irrelevant to each other. I've got a 24" scale guitar tuned to Drop C, for example. Lots of people have 7-strings tuned to B or lower with 25" scale or less. Longer scale length may be more common with low tunings, but it's absolutely not necessary. Any guitar can be fine for any tuning, it's just a question of how you set the guitar up and what you're comfortable with.

For under a thousand pounds (in fact, for under £800), you really can't do better than a Gibson SG Standard. Hell, you could save a bit of money and buy a Special or SGJ, that will cover the cost of the pickup swap if you do decide to change pickups (for the love of god, wait until you actually have a guitar before deciding what pickups to put in it; also don't give money to Bare Knuckle when there are many other cheaper and more personal, better boutique pickup makers in the country )

If you do want something that is longer in scale then take a look at the PRS SE line; the Custom 24 and Singlecut Trem are both 25" scale, with one being double-cut and one single-cut though both offering better fret access than a Gibson design. Just be aware that when you move down to an MIK guitar, although they are nicely built, it is a noticable drop in quality compared to what you're used to. It's also a bit insulting that they're £550+ for a guitar that, in terms of cost to make, is cheaper than a £250 Epiphone Les Paul Standard. Luckily, Cort offer similar guitars to the PRS SE line for a fraction of the cost, since they're owned by the factory that makes the guitars.

A PRS Mira is also within your price range and is basically splitting the difference between the SG style and Custom 24 style. Upside to you would be it's both higher-quality and that slightly longer scale length of 25". The downside to you may be that it has a single-piece wraparound bridge, which annoys a lot of people and offers no intonation adjustment; this could be the one thing that does actually make it useless for those lower tunings.

Quote by MaaZeus

Schecter necks aren't thick, they're completely average. As are the vast majority of Gibson necks.

Not as stupidly thin as Ibanez =/= thick.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at May 16, 2013,
The necks on Dean Zelinsky's guitars with Dean, DBZ, and Dean Zelinsky Private Label all tend towards the thinner side.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 17, 2013,
Quote by J_W
It's ugly what ever it is.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?