I am looking to purchase an Ibanez or Jackson to play metal. I have never owned one and need some suggestions on the myriad of models to try out at a local GC that would be a good bang for my buck. I am looking for 24 fret and a floyd rose tremolo. Would something that costs $1000 be necesarily three times as better as something that is $300? Any advice on what to look for, what to watch out for, when trying to purchase would be appreciated.
Just keep in mind your budget, what you are willing to pay maximum, and play as many different ones as you can. It's really the only advice to give here. Some $300 guitars can be better crafted than ones double or triple their price. You get duds in almost every brand.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Best advice is simply to go try them all! Also i found especially on FR equipped guitars its best not to cheap out by going to lets say the 300$ range. Going for the guitars that have a FR-1000, OFR, Schaller, or Gotoh bridges is usually a safe bet. As far as what guitars to try out check out good old RGs and S Ibanezs. For jacksons i'm a big fan of their Soloists but the Dinky is extremely similar to it as well. Also check out the 1000 series Ltd guitars since they're in your price range and have features similar to Jackson/Ibanez.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
Quote by Lavatain
Just keep in mind your budget, what you are willing to pay maximum, and play as many different ones as you can. It's really the only advice to give here. Some $300 guitars can be better crafted than ones double or triple their price. You get duds in almost every brand.

Thanks that narrows it down. By this logic I can just pick up a $300 guitar and I know that is possibly better crafted than the $600 and $900 guitars, however I must hope it's not a dud because some of them are.
Id go with an Ibanez but that's just me. I have a Jackson RR3 that I've had for years. It just sits in its case. I didn't really like it at all lol. So I got something else. But the RR is the only Jackson I've played so I cant say much.

Id get an Ibanez because I like the necks on those a lot. The best thing would be to try a lot of models for both brands and see what you like the best.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
I've owned both brands.
I've had mid priced ones and high priced ones.
Jacksons tend to have pickups modeled towards Seymour Duncans.
And Ibanez tend to have pickups modeled towards Di Marzios.
Just note that Ibanez GIO necks arn't the same as RG necks, but somewhat similar
Last edited by TwoPlusTwo at May 16, 2013,
Quote by sweetdude3000
Thanks that narrows it down. By this logic I can just pick up a $300 guitar and I know that is possibly better crafted than the $600 and $900 guitars, however I must hope it's not a dud because some of them are.

i don't think that's true at all.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by TwoPlusTwo
I've owned both brands.
I've had mid priced ones and high priced ones.
Jacksons tend to have pickups modeled towards Seymour Duncans.
And Ibanez tend to have pickups modeled towards Di Marzios.
Just note that Ibanez GIO necks arn't the same as RG necks, but somewhat similar

Both Jackson and Ibanez have guitars with EMG pickups too.
Quote by sweetdude3000

Whoa, whoa! I wasn't telling you that those cheap guitars are easily better than some more expensive ones. Just play a bunch that's under your budget and see what feels good to you.

I'm just saying that sometimes you can find cheaper priced guitars that are actually quite good. But I'd certainly recommend staying above $500 if you can. I'm in England so I can't really translate to dollars and US pricing from my UK prices. I imagine $300 guitars are probably what £200 guitars are like? You'd have to go used for sure to get a half decent guitar at that price (if even half decent).
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Tell us your budget. There's often a point where you get between two guitars of the same brand even where one is over priced and the other is a great value. They can have a price difference as little as $50 sometimes.
If you insist on getting a guitar with Floyd, dont be cheap! The guitar itself may be good but the floyds tend to be cheap chinese "tinfloyds" that wear out quite fast and then give you tunings problems.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
You're going to get the best value for your dollar buying used. You can pick up a used Ibanez Prestige for 400-500 bucks and it will be worlds better than any new guitar you can get for under 500 dollars.
Quote by Lavatain
Whoa, whoa! I wasn't telling you that those cheap guitars are easily better than some more expensive ones. Just play a bunch that's under your budget and see what feels good to you.

I'm just saying that sometimes you can find cheaper priced guitars that are actually quite good. But I'd certainly recommend staying above $500 if you can. I'm in England so I can't really translate to dollars and US pricing from my UK prices. I imagine $300 guitars are probably what £200 guitars are like? You'd have to go used for sure to get a half decent guitar at that price (if even half decent).

In the Uk, if you get the right guitar, you can get a decent one, obviously not high end but not a poor quality one either.
I for instance have an Ibanez ART100DX, it cost me £250 and I would say that it is definitely of decent quality, hardware and body/finish wise. Pickups aren't the best but that's a given.
Still though, as you said, used market is probably the best place to get a cheap, decent guitar.
Quote by Lavatain

Sorry man! I know you are trying to help I have gotten screwed over before when I went shopping last and I am just wary.

Well I am willing to spend up to $1000, but the thing is if I can find a guitar that is $500 and the $1000 guitar is only marginally better, than I will spring for the $500. I'll check around for used guitars - seems like that is the way to go.

I ended up playing a whole bunch of them last week. Some do feel better than others. What I am really looking for are some specific models to check out and avoid. When people say don't get a cheap tremolo, I am not sure what a good tremolo system is and which guitar would have one. All I know is locking tuners and a Floyd rose. Playability is important one thing, but quality materials and all the other components that go into a good guitar, I know little about.

So I can't go wrong with a Ibanez prestige? Or some of the other models listed here?
How about an Ibanez RG4EX1 or RG5EX1 ? They have the Edge III tremolo which seems to be pretty good. They also have the H-S-H pickup setup. And you can find them on eBay for pretty cheap. Just put a little time and money into new pickups and you're golden.

Here's a used one on eBay with a reverse headstock. http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBANEZ-RG5EX1-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-H-S-H-INFINITY-PICKUPS-EDGE-BRIDGE-EXC-GIG-BAG-/161028207576?pt=Guitar&hash=item257e0773d8
Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1 Gravity Storm(neck)/X2N(bridge) Drop Db
Ibanez S421 Air Norton(neck)/Super Distortion(bridge) Drop D
7th Heaven->ML-2->Dr. Boogie->Zoom G3->GE-7->NS-2->Mute
Line 6 Spider II HD150+foot pedal
Some 4x12 cab

Quote by FoX KiLLa
How about an Ibanez RG4EX1 or RG5EX1 ? They have the Edge III tremolo which seems to be pretty good.

nu-uh
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thats a very good price.

It is a J Custom but marked as a Prestige for the non-Japanese market as they wouldnt export JCs at the time.

Look up similar vintage J Customs and see how much you save.

Having owned both a J Custom and a 3270, I can tell you that they are easily on a par.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Yes it is a good price. The guitar is up to you though. If I had the money and needed a guitar like that then I would be all over it. Not to be cruel but it seems like you are going to be spending a lot of money on little to possibly no experience with the differences in the guitars you are after.

Honestly, research what you are after and play, if you can, as many guitars as possible. You might not like something about a guitar that has a lot of features (i.e.-the neck, comfort, weight,etc.). Generally when you are looking to spend what you are spending you have something very concrete in mind. I assume your not just throwing money around.

OT: the guitar that Tom pointed out is solid, not to mention an amazing price for a j. custom.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Just be aware, that guitar is a "Prestige" but it is built to the same specs and the same guys who made the J Customs.

Quote by J_W
That is a prestige not a J Custom.

It is an RG1702 with a Prestige logo and came in different finishes.

It is the same guitar, they marketed it for the non-Japanese Markets, they were made in the months when they created the "Prestige" and "J Custom" ranges in 96/97.

They are from the same people with the same materials.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at May 20, 2013,
The one linked is a 2002, the only year that came in that red finish.
.....it still has the same spec, same place of manufacture and same J Craft teams (well maybe people joined or left in the 5 year period, you know what I mean).

Ibanez have only just started to officially export J Customs, to get round this, the top tier RGs have always had the same specs as the current JCs (except they dont put vine inlays on them).

I never said it was a JC, just that it is the same as the JCs of the period.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Aren't all Prestiges and J-Customs made in the fujigen factory?
If you want a floyd trem then $1000 is possibly 3x better than a $300 guitar yes. Without a trem not so much. A proper Japanese prestige with a good bridge (Edge Pro, Lo-Pro Edge, Original Edge, ZR) is what you want ideally.

Don't go for any of those Edge II or Edge III or TRS bollox, if you're gonna get a trem guitar you have to get a good one.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
I recently bought an Ibanez RG70WMZ and the edge zero ii tremolo on it is just brilliant. The neck is great aswell, it plays like a dream. The pickups on it dont sound fantastic but it only cost £530. Whats important is how it feels. I would rather buy a great playing guitar than a great sounding guitar. You can always change your pickups to suit your sound.