What alternate tunings require a 7 string? I've got a few 6 strings, some i keep in lower tunings, i've been considering a 7 string but haven't been quite clear when one is actually needed?
None really require it, unless you actually need all 7 strings.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Yeah, standard tuning for 7 string is B E A D G B E (from thickest to thinest). You can always tune your 6 string guitar to B tuning, but you won't have high E string which you would have with 7 string. If you don't need it, you can continue playing 6 strings. Just put on some heavier gauge strings and you'll be fine. Also, for lower tunings it's better to have guitar with longer scale than standard.
When you need to play something with low B string and high e string in the same song, then you obviously need a 7 string because 6 runs out strings, duh. Or you could get one for practical reasons, having E standard tuning and baritone tuning all in one guitar.

Thats about it i think.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
Or you could get one for practical reasons, having E standard tuning and baritone tuning all in one guitar.

That would be practical, but for me playing 7 string guitars is harder than playing 6 string guitars because 7 strings have bigger necks. It could be the same with TS. So maybe the practical way won't be very practical.
You can get the high notes elsewhere on the fretboard. But if that doesn't work out, then it's time for a 7-string. Don't get a 7-string just because you want a low B though. 7-strings and baritones sound a feel different. Baritones usually have a longer scale length. And open chords don't work the same on baritones and 7-strings.
Quote by jwoodbury3571
What alternate tunings require a 7 string? I've got a few 6 strings, some i keep in lower tunings, i've been considering a 7 string but haven't been quite clear when one is actually needed?

When you want one.

Quote by JELIFISH19
And open chords don't work the same on baritones and 7-strings.

... Yes they do. For 7 string traditional open chords you just have to not play the low B and on Baritones it's just shifted down in pitch by 2.5 steps. Really not different at all.

Quote by MaaZeus
Or you could get one for practical reasons, having E standard tuning and baritone tuning all in one guitar.

Not the same. 7 string standard is BEADGBE and baritone 6 string standard is BEADF#B.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at May 16, 2013,
Quote by JackovSlayer
That would be practical, but for me playing 7 string guitars is harder than playing 6 string guitars because 7 strings have bigger necks. It could be the same with TS. So maybe the practical way won't be very practical.

And playing a guitar in the very beginning was extremely difficult, but you got better. You just need to work with it and soon you'll be proficient enough to handle it.

Pick up a bass guitar.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2