It might be obvious, but when it comes to harmonic intervals/chord recognition, my ear sucks, and progress has been extremely slow.

Please, what kind of chords/progressions are these?

song 1
song 2

I want to know where these, and other similar-sounding progressions/vamps, come from...
Last edited by CryogenicHusk at May 16, 2013,
They are all maj 7 chords if I heard right.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
They are all maj 7 chords if I heard right.

You know, that was my suspicion when I first heard it, but since I felt lost, I quickly disregarded it. I don't know why I felt so lost... Maybe it's because of the unfamiliar synth sounds or piano voicings, but I've played around with maj 7 chords on the guitar, so you'd think I would have some idea. I take it they're probably either not diatonic progressions, I-IV-V kind of deal or just vamps? I'll try to figure it out as soon as I get my hands on my guitar (which is still the only way I can figure out most things by ear).

Well, thanks!
Last edited by CryogenicHusk at May 16, 2013,
Quote by CryogenicHusk
You know, that was my suspicion when I first heard it, but since I felt lost, I quickly disregarded it. I don't know why I felt so lost... Maybe it's because of the unfamiliar synth sounds or piano voicings, but I've played around with maj 7 chords on the guitar, so you'd think I would have some idea. I take it they're probably either not diatonic progressions, I-IV-V kind of deal or just vamps? I'll try to figure it out as soon as I get my hands on my guitar (which is still the only way I can figure out most things by ear).

Well, thanks!

I think it was the voicings that made them sound pretty random. I think it's just the same "position" moved up and down and that gives it kind of strange sound.

The first song is Gmaj7 Gmaj7 Bbmaj7 Gmaj7 Fmaj7 Gmaj7.

The second song is Fmaj7 Abmaj7 Cmaj7 Ebmaj7 and then some random sounds (that are pitch bended maj7 chords).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at May 17, 2013,
Quote by MaggaraMarine
I think it was the voicings that made them sound pretty random. I think it's just the same "position" moved up and down and that gives it kind of strange sound.

The first song is Gmaj7 Gmaj7 Bbmaj7 Gmaj7 Fmaj7 Gmaj7.

The second song is Fmaj7 Abmaj7 Cmaj7 Ebmaj7 and then some random sounds (that are pitch bended maj7 chords).

Simple enough. Thanks again!