UG, I have a early 2000's LTD M-302 in trans black. I don't play it a lot right now and have been thinking of attempting to refinish it and change the color. I would like to strip it and stain the existing veneer anything other than black. I own 5 black guitars I want something different. Has anyone done this successfully? I did find a few pictures of one that someone has sanded and removed the veneer but I'd like to save it if possible. Any chance of this happening and would I be able to sand back the black stain enough to stain it another color? I guess I could always get a new veneer if I had to. Which bring me to my last question, if I am forced to get a new veneer, does anyone have a good source for these? I'm in the US. Thanks!
Well guess nobody has done this. I am probably going to just go for it and see what happens. Worst case scenario I replace the veneer. Will post a thread when this happens.
The experience is worth it to me, plus I love the guitar and will never sell it. The M-302 is the best LTD I have ever played. The neck is really close to the Ibanex Wizard necks, I have never seen an LTD with a neck like this. I have a Viper with the Thin U and it's fat compared to this one. Since I got my prestige I don't play it much though, so I figured I'd make a project of it.
You could always find a similar veneer and switch them if you do go end up going through it.
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
Yeah I plan on getting a new veneer anyway, just in case.
you will end up sanding through the veneer before you get rid of the stain, so you probably will need a new one
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
So here is another question, how would I go about staining a new veneer? Will there be enough wood to stain black and sand back and then color. Or should I just stain it a color and be done with it?