My friends who are beginners at playing drums keep telling me that they play drum chords.
The only way I can see drum chords is when you hit more than one drum head at the same time.
I don`t really know since I play guitar and play the drums without tabs and so.

Does drum chords exist or what is it they are talking about?
Dissonance is underrated.
no such thing. they're beginners. they obviously dont know much yet lol
Well, I wouldn't go that far. It can definitely exist. The skins are tuned to pitches... sadly it will only give you 1 or 2 to choose from depending on how many arms and legs you wanna use. Also depends on how big the kit is.

Then you get freaks like Terry Bozzio... and I'll end it there
Last edited by evolucian at May 17, 2013,
toms are usually tuned a third or a fifth apart, so striking two at once could be considered a chord..?
Why don't you just ask them to show you how to play "drum chords"? Maybe they have just confused some terms.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
A chord has atleast 3 pitches. The only way I can see drum chords happening is on timpani where the timpanist can somehow play 3 at the same time
Quote by ccannon1
A chord has atleast 3 pitches. The only way I can see drum chords happening is on timpani where the timpanist can somehow play 3 at the same time

You don't need to play them at the same time. You can play them as an "arpeggio" and it's still a chord.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Ok, you could conceivably play a chord on the drums but I think this is a bit of a moot point, seeing as very little pitched music is written for drums. Bozzio is about the only artist who plays pitched music on a drumkit.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Well it sounds pretty weird to me when they are talking about these "chords" so I ask them to explain them they say something like:
"Aaw dude, it`s hard to explain you know..."
or
"Well you know, they chords on the guitar and drums differ. It`s not the same but they are chords!".
Quote by Lyrax
Well it sounds pretty weird to me when they are talking about these "chords" so I ask them to explain them they say something like:
"Aaw dude, it`s hard to explain you know..."
or
"Well you know, they chords on the guitar and drums differ. It`s not the same but they are chords!".

Tell them to play drum chords if they can't explain.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by Big Bang
You're high right now, aren't you?

As a kite. Peace, Love and Understanding bro!
The title of this thread made me lol.

Wutttttt
Do they have a sampling pad or some shizz?
METAL!
Quote by Ultraussie
The title of this thread made me lol.

Wutttttt
Do they have a sampling pad or some shizz?

No, just plain ol`drum sets. I laughed too when they said that. It was even funnier when they tried to defend their "drum chords". They are nuts.