I'm looking at a '91 Strat Plus and everything about the guitar seems legit... except one minor detail: the headstock plug. I haven't seen one with a maple plug, although I have seen some with a lighter plug than others. Thoughts? Can anyone find a Strat plug with this kind of plug?

Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]

The dark (walnut/koa) piece of wood by the nut....
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

it'd go to strat-talk.com and see what they say
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

Between 86' and 95'ish Fender did a lot of small odd things. Maple truss caps were one. It's legit. Fender doesn't tend to stray far away from the original formula these days unless it's the Blacktop or Pawn Shop series.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Mine isn't light either and it is a 1991

--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
I've never noticed that.

I'm always pleasantly confused when people black out serial numbers, it doesn't hold any personal information you know. If someone wants to put a serial number on a copy they can easily find out the system and if they are trying to sell one as one from the same year as yours, they could quite possibly end up with the same serial number anyway.

But still, quite unlikely anyone will look at your serial number and copy it.

They would be more likely to copy one from a forum where someone posts it, not one from a picture but still, even if they would there's no repercussions to you in any way and it doesn't negate the authenticity of yours.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil at May 17, 2013,
Quote by Mephaphil
I've never noticed that.

I'm always pleasantly confused when people black out serial numbers, it doesn't hold any personal information you know. If someone wants to put a serial number on a copy they can easily find out the system and if they are trying to sell one as one from the same year as yours, they could quite possibly end up with the same serial number anyway.

But still, quite unlikely anyone will look at your serial number and copy it.

They would be more likely to copy one from a forum where someone posts it, not one from a picture but still, even if they would there's no repercussions to you in any way and it doesn't negate the authenticity of yours.

i feel like its a theft thing. i always block mine off when i post in case (in the unlikely chance) someone steals it i can prove its mine
A serial number doesn't prove the authenticity of the guitar in any way. It has to have all the other authentic, defining features for it to be authentic.

So if someone puts your serial number on a fake it's still a fake and yours is still real.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

dude that's legit.

how does it play?

fender was going to the two way adjustable truss rod around that period. a lot of changes took place in the late 80s through the early 90s with fender and them experimenting with maple in the process doesn't surprise in the least.
No... hiding the serial number makes sure no one can file a false police report saying their guitar was stolen and that you (the true owner) has it. Having the receipt would foil this plan, but if you don't have it... then it is a problem.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Lol that's nonsense. Someone would have to build an entire story and hope that it checks out.

You would have the serial numbers too, on pictures. Based on that theory anyone could come round and see the number and claim it as theirs. They would need to prove that it was stolen and get the police to believe it. You would dispute it and take them to court and win because you'd have shit loads of proof and then sue them while the police charges them with wasting Police time.

Even if you didn't he would have to hope that you didn't have alibis, that the store you bought it from doesn't have records, CCTV, credit card bills or the person you bought it from doesn't have any records too, that they have no alibi etc. If it is stolen that's a different matter, but if it's not, I'd love to see that crazy planning unfold and fool anyone.

Knowing a serial number does not prove ownership either. It's just a dating and identification tool.

I mean, do THEY have the receipt? No. They only have a few digits from a picture that they got from the Internet which you put there and can show the Police.

This thread is getting silly.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

If the seller blanked it out, and not OP, then thats a little sketchy

but yeah it's mega paranoid to block the serial number just posting here
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I agree with that.

The serial number only provides someone with the date it was made and what guitar it is, which is useful when buying. You should still be clued up on the main points of authenticity. A serial number can be made up by anyone.

It can be used to identify the guitar against others in lots of situations but knowing that number alone doesn't mean you have a case for ownership unless you have a case for ownership, eg: it was stolen. But then you'd need evidence to prove it was, just knowing the serial number doesn't amount to much if you have no other proof.

If all you have is the serial number and it's NOT yours and you have some crazy plan to get it, you aren't going to get very far.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

You guys are ridiculous

I blacked out the serial because the guitar isn't mine, I don't want to post another man's serial for the world to see. I've posted pictures showing the serials on my guitars quite a few times

Back on topic, can anyone find another Fender (from this time) with a maple plug instead of a darker one? Because I can't, at least on a Strat Plus/Deluxe
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

i saw a couple in my searches.

lemme look again.

maybe i'm wrong, but it seems legit to me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at May 18, 2013,
Yes, but why? It won't be used, it won't identify him, it's like blacking out the bar code on a cereal box!
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Is that a Strat Plus? The Wilkinson Roller nut seems to indicate that.
Very nice Strats they were. I owned a 93 but it had a dark wood filler (& rosewood board of course!)
Moving on.....