Need some emg advice here guys. I'm an active pickup kinda guy and I've had the invader, dirty fingers and I currently have a dimarzio X2N in my strat. I've been looking around YouTube and reading and I think I'm gonna go emg 85 for the bridge spot on my strat next. I don't play metal, I play hardcore and punk type stuff, a lot of palm muting but I like my single notes to be clear and defined.
Are emg 85's good for recording? My other pickups always seemed too hot to record with. Any suggestions? Thanks guys.
It is difficult and not recommended to mix actives and passives. It is possible but it isn't simple. Don't do it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I personally prefer the 81 for the bridge, with a 60 in the neck. The 85's are okay too, i guess, but I prefer the 81's. Though, i really don't use actives too often tbh.
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Quote by Cathbard
It is difficult and not recommended to mix actives and passives. It is possible but it isn't simple. Don't do it.

This. If your gonna go active for the bridge, you should probably go fully active.
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Last edited by Maineguitarist at May 16, 2013,
Quote by Maineguitarist
I personally prefer the 81 for the bridge, with a 60 in the neck. The 85's are okay too, i guess, but I prefer the 81's. Though, i really don't use actives too often tbh.

So in your opinion, what are the advantages of the 81?
Stick an 85 in the bridge and an 81 in the neck.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Some people prefer the 81 in the bridge, some prefer the 85.

"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Very true. I like 85's in the bridge myself. But seriously, if you are going EMG then do both or not at all.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Some people never use the neck pups.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Some people never use the neck pups.

I'm one of em
Some people...
Single coil emgs?
if they seem to hot you can roll the volume back
I'm slightly worried that nobody has asked what amp you are using. This is by far—by far—the most important element to your sound. No pickup advice is worth a damn if the person doesn't know what amp is being used and how its EQ is being set.

Quote by innertom
Single coil emgs?
if they seem to hot you can roll the volume back
EMG's active single coils have barely any more output than a normal passive single coil. In fact compared to the overwound singles that Seymour Duncan, Fender and DiMarzio make, EMG's are lower in output.

Quote by jsnow08
I'm one of em

Even if you don't use your neck pickup, you'll still need the guitar wired up properly and that means going all active or all passive. It is possible to mix actives and passives but not without severe problems, not least of all introducing hum to one position and the risk of electric sock.
If you dont' want to replace your other pickups and you're usre you will never want to use them either, rip them out entirely. Then you can have just your one pickup by itself with no issues.

Still, do remember that when changing from passive to active you need to change all the pots, the jack and ground the bridge.

Anyway.

I know people 'round here are sick of me saying it, but take a look at the EMG 60AX. EMG's X pickups have more headroom than SD Blackouts (a lot more headroom than regular EMGs), slightly increased output, slightly lower impedance and less noise than both regular EMGs and Blackouts. The 60 wind is made for more clarity and the 60A gives you an alnico magnet instead of ceramic, which smooths the plain strings out and stops things from getting too harsh. Essentially, the 60AX is like a PAF-style pickup with the output jacked up, so it's not muddy like overwound pickups are but it can still drive your amp like a hot pickup should.

Compared to the 85 and Blackouts, it's less muddy. Compared to the 60, it's less harsh. Compared to the 81 it's got more character, it's less sterile. The X adds a lot of things, mostly headroom. It's really hard to turn down the 60AX.

Otherwise, definition and palm muted chords for heavier punk styles sounds to me like you'd be a good candidate for the SD Distortion.

Depends on your amp, of course. See the top of my post.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
I'm slightly worried that nobody has asked what amp you are using. This is by far—by far—the most important element to your sound. No pickup advice is worth a damn if the person doesn't know what amp is being used and how its EQ is being set.

EMG's active single coils have barely any more output than a normal passive single coil. In fact compared to the overwound singles that Seymour Duncan, Fender and DiMarzio make, EMG's are lower in output.

Even if you don't use your neck pickup, you'll still need the guitar wired up properly and that means going all active or all passive. It is possible to mix actives and passives but not without severe problems, not least of all introducing hum to one position and the risk of electric sock.
If you dont' want to replace your other pickups and you're usre you will never want to use them either, rip them out entirely. Then you can have just your one pickup by itself with no issues.

Still, do remember that when changing from passive to active you need to change all the pots, the jack and ground the bridge.

Anyway.

I know people 'round here are sick of me saying it, but take a look at the EMG 60AX. EMG's X pickups have more headroom than SD Blackouts (a lot more headroom than regular EMGs), slightly increased output, slightly lower impedance and less noise than both regular EMGs and Blackouts. The 60 wind is made for more clarity and the 60A gives you an alnico magnet instead of ceramic, which smooths the plain strings out and stops things from getting too harsh. Essentially, the 60AX is like a PAF-style pickup with the output jacked up, so it's not muddy like overwound pickups are but it can still drive your amp like a hot pickup should.

Compared to the 85 and Blackouts, it's less muddy. Compared to the 60, it's less harsh. Compared to the 81 it's got more character, it's less sterile. The X adds a lot of things, mostly headroom. It's really hard to turn down the 60AX.

Otherwise, definition and palm muted chords for heavier punk styles sounds to me like you'd be a good candidate for the SD Distortion.

Depends on your amp, of course. See the top of my post.

I have a mesa dual rectifier coming through a mesa 4x12 cab. Right now I have a fender fat strat with a dimarzio x2n humbucker in the bridge, a faded Gibson sg with a dirty fingers humbucker in the bridge and a fender tele with a Seymour Duncan hot rails single coil in the bridge.
My band is going to record soon and I realized that though all these hot pickups are great for playing shows, they might not be the best for recording. I don't really want to convert to active and use batteries and crap but if it sounds good enough I will.
So basically, do you recommend any pickups that are great for recording? Or will my hot pickups be fine? I've heard the Gibson p90 (in my case I'd use a the p94 humbucker shaped version) is great for recording.
Last edited by jsnow08 at May 17, 2013,