Hey guys,
I'm saving towards getting a high end amp and my budget will probably be about $3000 when it's all saved up at the end of the year! So what would you recommend for a great death/thrash metal tone,great leads etc. The clean channel is not a worry to me so you can disregard that. The Peavey and Engl seem like the best options for me but some second opinions would be much appreciated.
Cheers!
It would be helpful if we had more info about what you want to sound like.

What bands/songs would you like to get close to?

And where are you located? I'm assuming not the US.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Well I'm listening to a lot of Necrophagist,Opeth,Death,Cynic and Christian Muenzner right now. Muenzner's tone would be perhaps my favourite.
I'm in Ireland so I'll most likely be buying off Thomann.
I'm not sure what 6505's go for over in your neck of the woods, but I'd imagine that ENGL is priced better over there than here in the states. Personally, I love my Fireball, but they're both great amps. To me, the Fireball is a bit brighter than a 6505. They also like speakers with a lot of mid-range bark to them. Something to keep in mind when choosing a cab/wanting it to cut in a mix/live situation.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Can you afford an Engl Savage?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by FlightofIcarus
I'm not sure what 6505's go for over in your neck of the woods, but I'd imagine that ENGL is priced better over there than here in the states. Personally, I love my Fireball, but they're both great amps. To me, the Fireball is a bit brighter than a 6505. They also like speakers with a lot of mid-range bark to them. Something to keep in mind when choosing a cab/wanting it to cut in a mix/live situation.

That must be a pretty damn bright amp! My 6505+ is pretty bright as it is! I know the topic is the regular 6505, but still the difference between the two isn't much.
Quote by Offworld92
Can you afford an Engl Savage?

+1

Granted I only played the Fireball 60 (and liked it for what it was) but there are probably some better amps for you. Cobra and 5153 also come to mind but I'm honestly not well versed in the tones you are after.
^ I think you probably have a good call on the 5150III. The chap i bought my 6505+ off got a 5150III recently (after having had an ENGL Powerball whcih he ran after selling me the 6505+) and claims it sounds even better than the 6505+ so could be worth a look!
I've played the 5153 several times (not eh mini) and fell in love every time. It is voiced differently than the 6505+ and admittedly not as raw but it makes up for that in the smooth endless low end and basically awesome clean channel. It can compete with most amps out there gain wise and does low and mid gain stuff well too. Just all around killer. Not sure what they go for on Thomann so I'd look for a used one potentially.
^ Yeah i heard one in a review and the clean channel really surprised me! Way more depth and warmth than the 6505(+) could ever hope to achieve on that channel! If I had more money I might be very tempted to pick one up myself.
Not firsthand, no. But I think it will give you a flavor slightly more in tune to what you want.

Both the Fireball and the 6505 are monsters of American high gain, but the bands you listed seem like you'd want a slightly British flavored ultra high gain, rather than straight up American. The Savage doesn't run EL34s, but I think 6550s will get you in a better place, a little away from 6L6s.

I suppose you could also check out the 6534+, but I've heard very mixed reviews about it. Definitely try one if you can.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Dude, you might want to think about a VH100R. You could probably find one SUPER cheap. I can definitely get there with that amp. I play a lot of Opeth and what not. Mikael Akerfeldt played the VH100R for a while. But I can get into Death territory and stuff pretty easily. And overdrives can help if you need it tighter or whatever. I definitely prefer the VH100R to both the Fireball and the 6505 though.
Yeah I think you're right. The Savage sounds amazing from the videos and reviews I have been reading,much more versatile than most 'metal' amps too... And I mean come on,those aesthetics are insane..
I can get the VH100R pretty cheap but I'm not sure whether I will get it or not. I'm pretty much blowing an entire year's savings on this head and cab,so it needs to be very reliable and,of course the sound has to be perfect. That being said,it's not ruled out as an option!