I really like explorers but noticed that i have never seen lead playing on a explorer. Is there a reason for this, is it designed for rhythm or what?
Lead guitarist makes the lead. Not the guitar.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Rick Nielsen much? He's only the single coolest person alive and all.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Any guitar can be used for lead or rhythm or whatever.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

man if you feel confortable and like the guitar just go for it... don't look at what the others do, just follow your own needings.
Think about Yngwie Malmsteen for example: even if I don't like him as a player I must admit that he followed his own thought and he shreds like a beast on a Strat with single coils, even if for metal and shred in general humbuckers would fit better.
Last edited by The_Flesh_Storm at May 17, 2013,
Yes, I think there is a reason. It's the balance between neck/headstock and body. On most explorers the head is always slightly heavier and because of the shape of the body the guitar tends to something like "slide down" when you don't hold the neck. When you do this with eg. Les Paul or Strat it will stay at the same position as before, but explorer will "slide down", the headstock and the body will be horizontally at the same level.
I have a Jackson Kelly and it's even harder to play lead. Not only you have to play high, you even have to hold the neck up so it doesn't fall.
I think that is the case.
Quote by James Hetfield
Justice is lost, Justice is raped, Justice is GONE.

http://www.youtube.com/intwernet
Guitar and acoustic bass covers with creative editing
Danko Jones tears it up live with a low slung explorer, Brendan Small (Dethklok) uses one as his signature guitar and not to forget the days when James Hetfield used an esp explorer syle guitar
If I'm not mistaken, I've seen videos of Paul Gilbert using (Ibanez versions of) an Explorer.

And for what it's worth, I've always been the primary lead guitarist in the bands I've been in and have (although not as much lately) used my Hamer Explorer a good bit.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Last edited by sjones at May 17, 2013,
lead players just have good taste.

buy this now.
Last edited by gregs1020 at May 17, 2013,
Dude, Explorers are awesome, I think they make excellent lead guitars.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by intwernet
Yes, I think there is a reason. It's the balance between neck/headstock and body. On most explorers the head is always slightly heavier and because of the shape of the body the guitar tends to something like "slide down" when you don't hold the neck. When you do this with eg. Les Paul or Strat it will stay at the same position as before, but explorer will "slide down", the headstock and the body will be horizontally at the same level.
I have a Jackson Kelly and it's even harder to play lead. Not only you have to play high, you even have to hold the neck up so it doesn't fall.
I think that is the case.

Balance issues are easily solved by moving strap buttons.
You've got these guys playing lead on explorers...
- Mathias Jabs - Scorpions
- The guitarist for Hanoi Rocks and Cherry Bombz
- Kind of obscure but Rick Fowler of Bombay and Fortnox
- Edward Van-Halen used an Ibanez copy up through the first album (then he cut it up and made the Shark)
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
I've always seen them as rhythm guitars too. Obviously you can play anything on it but to me, it's always appealled for rhythm.
The Edge from U2 uses one a lot. Proof that not only can they be used for lead, they can also be used for stuff that isn't metal.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Hetfield has a lot to do with the association, but Explorers have comfy necks and good fret access. Good lead guitars.

Quote by ExDementia
Both the dudes from Amon Amarth play Explorers just fine. Many guitars have the neck dive problem, like Icemans, but plenty of people play lead on them just fine as well. Once you get used to it, it's no big deal. I just use a leather strap with a grippy inside.
I've always perceived them has a strictly rhythm oriented band. I know they have some solos here and there, but their most famous one was actually played on an ESP guitar by Roope from COB(the song being Twilight of the Thunder God)
There is absolutely nothing saying that Explorers are designed for rhythm in particular. It's just that popular bands commonly use it in such a way.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
I haven't played an Explorer in sometime......years actually. But, I think I remember when I played one I remember it being pretty heavy for a guitar. For lead playing my personal preference is a lighter guitar. Sitting down it doesn't matter much but when I play standing up for sometime my playing gets progressively shit-ier over a time if I'm using a heavier guitar.

But thats just me. If you've played one and like it well, then like everyone has said theres no reason why you cant play any lead on any guitar. Its all just preference.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3