Furniture polish is not a substitute for oil. Lemon oil is a conditioner; that wax is a polishing product. Do not mistake cleaners, conditioners and polishing products for each other. Three different things for different purposes. Lemon oil is for conditioning.

Lemon oil comes in various forms. Almost all of it these days is a synthetic mineral oil which simply has a yellow colour added to it. Any other mineral oil for conditioning exotic woods is fine. Some larger DIY or hobby stores should have it. Make sure you are buying mineral oil and not tung oil/tru-oil/gunstock oil or waxes, as those are finishing products, not conditioning products.

Otherwise, order some online. Dunlop sell kits of conditioner, cleaner and finish polish (do not use polish on rosewood, as rosewood is not finished) which are reasonably priced (one bottle of each will last you several years) and in stock just about everywhere. Unless you're so desperate to condition your board that you can't wait the 2-3 days for delivery, that's the best thing to get.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Showiddlydiddly
Yes, you can use it, not it's not a substitute and I'd still recommend getting some lemon oil asap.

You're telling someone its okay to use furniture polish on an unfinished wood that needs conditioning.

Are you mental?

Ignore him TS.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by Mephaphil
You're telling someone its okay to use furniture polish on an unfinished wood that needs conditioning.

Are you mental?

Ignore him TS.

I'm not mental, both I and a number of people I know have used furniture polish on our fretboards. Many of us have rosewood. We don't exactly do it as a regular thing, but no harm came of it.

EDIT: Actually, yes. Do ignore me. I didn't click the link to see that it was beeswax. You don't want to be using that as a substitute.
Last edited by Showiddlydiddly at May 17, 2013,
It makes no sense and it doesn't condition the board in any way. All you're doing is adding a shine to it, you might as well of not used it.

All you're doing is putting a product intended to polish wood on a wood that doesn't need polishing. Furthermore you need to be careful what you put on a rosewood fretboard and how much. Too much or the wrong product can actually cause long term damage.

Like the fretboard lifting off the neck, frets lifting and separating from the fretboard etc. You and the people you know hopefully don't do it often, if you did then I believe that you would end up with a ****ed up neck.

I still think it's mental.

Edit: Okay... But to clarify: You should only use wood conditioner on fretboard. Anything else is damaging to it.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Last edited by Mephaphil at May 17, 2013,
As far as I'm aware it was just a standard kind of furniture polish, not the kind that TS was asking about. There were a few of us just sitting around jamming and one of my friends whacked out a bottle of it and started oiling up. Most of us hadn't been playing for that long and hadn't heard of anything like it, so we decided to give the oil a go too.

I never said it was a substitute, quite the opposite in fact. Just that you can put a bit on your fretboard and that it wouldn't set it on fire or anything. I also recommended getting lemon oil.
Yea, but for fear of you damaging your fretboard I just wanted to highlight the dangers of the use of anything but a wood conditioner.

Short term it probably won't do much BUT I've read plenty of threads where people have overloaded their fretboard with stuff not suitable for unfinished woods and are complaining that the frets are rising.

A few years ago I got my second choice tech to oil my fretboard, I got it back and it was soaked. I brought it to my first choice was nearly shit his pants and spent 2 days wiping it over and over and over to get rid of the copious amount of lemon oil the nutter had soaked it in.

If he had done that with another type of oil it would have been disastrous.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Yeah, I was never too sure whether his practise of using it as a straight up alternative to lemon oil was quite sensible, so thanks for clarifying/confirming that.

Oh yeah, I'm well aware of the dangers of saturating the fretboard, I've always been pretty frugal with things like oil. I know someone who completely mangled the neck of his strat by using enough oil for three or four guitars every time. He was not a happy bunny.

It may have just not been clear enough that I was telling TS that while using furniture polish very occasionally wouldn't ruin his guitar, there isn't much point and lemon oil or equivalent is by far the better thing to use on the fretboard. Most of which was invalidated by the fact that I was too lazy to click the link and see the fact that it was a beeswax product; which I am definitely aware is not to be used on a neck at any time other than finishing.
Lemon oil is for conditioning, not cleaning. People make this mistake CONSTANTLY on here....

To CLEAN the (open grain) fretboard, use some naphtha or lighter fluid and a soft brush. That's really all you need. Wipe the board down with a rag when you are done to remove any of the excess solvent.

To CONDITION the (open grain) fretboard, use lemon oil or linseed oil. Rub it into the fretboard and then wipe it off immediately so you don't get any build up. In general you should only have to condition the fretboard about 2 times a year, obviously in drier climates you might need to do that a bit more than usual.

Lacquered maple fretboards don't need any conditioning or cleaning besides wiping it off with a rag every now and then.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Last edited by stonyman65 at May 17, 2013,
Quote by stonyman65
Lemon oil is for conditioning, not cleaning. People make this mistake CONSTANTLY on here....

It does both...
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
It does both...

No not really. Like others have said in this thread, the last thing you want to do is use a bunch of oil on the board. That will cause lots of problems down the road with buildup and creating a wax-like coating. To clean something you use a solvent, not oil.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.