Hey guys,

Well i just bought a used Peavey 6505+ head a couple days ago and am planning on re tolexing it, custom grill mods and make it a 4x12. I am trying to base my set up off of August Burns Red's set up so the 4x12 has to be as close to a Mesa Boogie Recto. Cab. I know it has Celestian V30's in them but personally i can't afford to spend $150 on each speaker. Anybody know of a speaker that sounds close to a V30? Also if you want to throw in ideas of mods and tolex color, that would be great!

Thanks!!
Just a thought, but you might be able to find a cheap cab with V30s in them and just yank em out. I know many Crate Blue Voodoo cabs and B-52 AT412 cabs came with them, and those are dirt cheap now on craigslist. I'm talking $150.

Edit: Some Carvin cabs came with V30s as well, and also go for very cheap.
Quote by JCGGUITARS
i feel like a noob saying this but could you give me a link? either i typed in the wrong thing or what, i can't find it for $150. I did find a crate cab for $100 but it didnt say if it had V30's
It's really something that you would have to search around for, but they both seem to pop up often enough.

Here's a BV412 on the GC used site for $170. The idiots put it up as a bass cab. You'd have to ask them to check if it have V30s though, because not all did. http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-CRATE-BV412S-CAB-101312-108329087-i2851060.gc

And here's an AT412 for $200, but I've seen them go on craigslist for as low as $130. http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-B52-AT412-108682956-i2980210.gc

Search around on your local craigslist or on eBay. Just make sure to verify that they actually have the V30s -- that goes for the AT412 too.

Edit: forgot the link
Last edited by ExDementia at May 17, 2013,
WGS Veteran 30
WGS Retro 30
Hellatone 60
Eminence Governor
These are all V30 type speakers
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
my amp and cab are both white with black accents and it looks pretty damn classy.
i was thinking that to. i was also thinking navy head, orange cab, paint the 6505+ grill and corners orange. or switch orange stuff to green or blue. oh and for the cab maybe paint the corners and maybe handles navy. just a thought
Last edited by JCGGUITARS at May 18, 2013,
Do RR style polka-dots with purple and pink
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
well for starters here's my first mod which most likely wont be perminant:
(Invalid img)

and i was wondering, what would happen if i tolexed my head amp and before putting hardware on, swirled it. would it feel like paint or would it still have a tolex feel? wouldnt be surprised if it was just a paint feel but it might look cool.
this is my personal opinion and you may certainly disregard it if you like, however i think you are going to make it look way to busy with a swirl etc.. it would look better with something a little cleaner.
Look at used speakers, considerably cheaper and they'll already be broken in . Keep in mind the resale value of this amp if you decide to part with it. A tyedye/swirled 6505 is gonna be a serious ***** to move, whereas something more conventional like Burgundy wouldn't be such a hassle.

You're still in the honeymoon period, wait a bit and come back down to earth

Something like this, except I would definitely go for black corners and hardware. And probably keep the original 6505 grill
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at May 22, 2013,
now im digging Navy with white or chrome hardware
man this is gonna take a while but if i bought say, black corners, could i paint them a gloss white and they would feel relatively the same? i stink with anything to do with paint
Last edited by JCGGUITARS at May 23, 2013,
well i guess its another quiet thread.

sorry for ipod pics:

(Invalid img)

(Invalid img)

(Invalid img)

(Invalid img)

for woodworking i need to cut speaker holes, cut back to size, cut for jack plate, make frame for grill. ordered some hardware so i can get to tolexing.

EDIT: i hate how it has links. if anyone knows how to fix it that would help!
links don't work
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
August Burns red sound sooooo much sloppier and shite than their in studio setup
Originally Posted by ibanez_guru
ARE YOU TONE ******ED??????

Thats not a dig either, its a serious question!!!!!!!!!

Quote by gregs1020
well i did sit 5th row for the who in '82.

ears are still ringing a bit.
been quite sometime. been alot going on this summer, new guitar etc. ITS DONE!!! well except for two speakers but it works, sounds great, and been shredding it for some time now. It's equipped so far with two Celestian V30's and will have some WGS V30's soon. Here it is:

so thats a wrap on this build. thanks for all who helped and watched!