Hello. i want to solder an tony iommy pickup to my les paul. the problem is that i dont know where the upper side is. the pickup looks the same, no matter how you turn it. where is left, where is right, where is down and where is up? does this matter at all?
or does this not matter?
Does it have any writing on the underside of the pickup - on the plate?
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
It has red, green, white and black wires. i guess the red one is hot, the black ground, and green+white i put together.
Last edited by kitarmen at May 17, 2013,
Here's a review from Guitar Center explaining how to install these pickups:

"I recently purchased a set of Tony Iommi humbuckers after 2 years of a curiosity that would not be satisfied. It should be noted that when you purchase one here on this site, they recommend a push/pull 500K pot. This is sound advice as far as these pickups go. For those that are looking for hot passive pickups that are in the vein of active pickups in terms of tone, these are not those pickups. In fact, these pickups as regular humbuckers are actually very dark and to be honest if someone installed them as such I can't see how most players would be satisfied with the tone they produce in this manner. These pickups do not deliver as promised unless they are coil tapped. If untapped, you do get a thick, dark, heavy sound that is ideal for leads and single note riffing. Tap the coils and you get a nice, beefy, punchy clear sound that is reminiscent of a P-90 single coil. I installed these with a full Jimmy Page harness and since doing this I have them tapped more times often than not (usually the neck) while running a reverse phase. I suppose there was a reason Gibson sold these in a 4 wire configuration, and based on Iommi's own history with his guitars, it wouldn't surprise me if this is what they were designed around....a pickup that sounded as close as possible to a P-90 tapped with a very heavy sound untapped. Those are the Iommis in a nutshell. (Also: I have read about some players employing 1 meg pots against these pickups, but that usually comes at the expense of volume control. In conclusion, I can't state this strongly enough: COIL TAP THESE PICKUPS"
Last edited by xHellbound at May 17, 2013,
Red is hot, green and white are the series link and black is ground. Any bare wires are always ground.

The most common pot values for guitars with humbuckers is 500k for volume and 500k for tone; your choice of audio taper or linear taper, depending on how you want the pot to work as you turn it down. Tone control capacitor values are usually .022uf for humbuckers, though .033uf and .047uf are also popular. If you're the sort of person who simply leaves everything on 10 all the time then don't worry about pot taper or capacitor value.
Gibson themselves actually use 300k linear taper pots for volume and 500k pots for tone (audio taper and linear, depending on the guitar model). If you have a Gibson Les Paul with a maple top or another brighter-toned Les Paul design (e.g. ESP Eclipse) then it may be good to use Gibson's values to stop the sound getting too shrill. For a darker-toned LP (e.g. Epiphone, Agile or a Gibson with a mahogany top) you will probably want to use the standard 500k values (or maybe even one 500k and one 1meg pot).

Bear in mind that two 500k pots together have roughly the same effect on your sound as one 250k pot by itself (and two 1megs = one 500k, two 250ks = 100k). Mixing pot values is an eays and cheap way to get more/less brightness and power out of your guitar.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.