I'm a bass player and just getting into the pedal world.
I'm looking for a good, versatile envelope filter.

I've owned the Boss AW-3 and it served its purpose until it crapped out on me. I wasn't really attached to it so I'm looking to buy up.
The ones I've looked at so far that seem alright are:
BassIQ triple envelope
Dunlop MXR m-82
Q-tron
Q-balls

I like the idea of the BassIQ and MXR for their slim design as I plan on building a pedal board and I know space is key. But I'm willing to sacrifice space for versatility.

Anyone speak to the nature of these pedals?
I have no budget so whatever you guys want to add or suggest, I would like to look at.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
No but real though.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
i was on a big envelope filter kick for a while, i started on a dod envelope filter and that is super easy to use and sounds pretty good.

eventually i got hooked on the clav through a mutron III sound. i bought a ehx envelope filter that was supposed to be very similar but it left me flat. eventually ended up buying a reissue of the mutron III, it sounded nice and fat and it even got a good jerry garcia solo tone outta it.

eventually i started wanting more from my LP filter and decided on getting a moog MF101 low pass filter. the thing is brilliant, i have total control over it's functionality. i do not have to use the envelope follower and i can use it with expression pedals. if you have the cash and want the flexibility beyond basic bass tone then i'd recommend the moog.

i'll also advise you to get a good harmonizer with at least oct up and oct down functions, it'll make the LP filter sound much more dramatic.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Ahh, I had forgotten about moogs! When I said I had no budget I really meant around 300(USD), figured no pedals for envelope filters would go above that.
But yes had looked into Moogs for a little. Figured I didn't want to spend 500 bucks.

Though found a site with the one you mentioned for <300.
I understand the capabilities of the low-pass, though as a bassist, I dont know if I'd have much use for that feature and would be spending 300 on a pedal with MANY capabilities that I would use just one of.... Or do I just not understand what this pedal is doing?

And yeah a harmonizer would be a good idea too. I presume that is applied before the envelope?
Quote by Banjocal
You want a harmonizer and a versatile filter? Line 6 M9.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
I mean I'll gladly buy two pedals to stay away from Line6 products huehue
Quote by Banjocal
Quote by King Of Suede
I mean I'll gladly buy two pedals to stay away from Line6 products huehue

Try one out before you discount it, Line 6 makes some terrible products, but the M series is not one of them.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
The M9 is amazing...

Don't jump on the 'line 6 sukz coz ov da spiderz'
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
Quote by MickAlmighty
The M9 is amazing...

Don't jump on the 'line 6 sukz coz ov da spiderz'

So much this. Most brand's entry level stuff isnt that good. But you never hear people say that Marshall sucks because of the MG series for some reason. I blame GC.
Thanks for input guys, but heres why I'll easily say no to M9. I've tried many of these all-in-1 deals over the years and have not liked a single one of them. They either sound like buns or dont have the customization I want.
That and I like experimenting with different sounds changing the order of pedals and you cant do that with these pedals.
With these, you're not getting 100 different effects. You're getting 1/100 effects at one time (or as I guess with the M9 its 3/100 effects at once) but then you only that that effects before you have to change to something else. Rather than having all your pedals and sounds at your disposal at all times.

Been watching the top review of the pedal for the past 5 minutes and i've heard about 20 different types of distortion you can get out of the thing. I have my Attack Goat which is the only distortion/fuzz I'll ever need.

These all-in-1 pedals just dont interest me.
That and I'm a firm believer in the make something that does 1 thing really well idea. Once you make a thing that tries to do 100 things well, I'll guarantee you can find 10 things that do one of those 100 things so much better. Right? So I'd rather dish out the extra dollars over time to collect an assortment of REALLY GOOD gear rather than put out a chunk for some passable gear.
Quote by Banjocal
Last edited by King Of Suede at May 19, 2013,
Can't comment on all of what you listed, but I used to have an EHX Q-Tron. Didn't really like it, but I replaced it with the EHX Worm which I love.

It does a great wah effect, IMO better than the Q-Tron. It has an input for an expression pedal so you can choose to control it that way as well as using it as an auto-wah, you can also switch it to manual to get the 'always-on' wah effect.

Also as a bonus it can also be used as a phaser, vibrato & tremelo.

I think it's awesome, but I have to admit I've got no idea how it would work when used with a bass (I'm guessing the people who suggested the M9 didn't notice you were looking at an effect for bass unless they do a specific version for it?)
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at May 19, 2013,
Thanks for your feedback and suggestion!
Quote by Banjocal