I'm recently looking at putting a pedalboard together (nothing spectacular - about 6 pedals maybe)
So i've been looking at boards, powered boards, individual power supplys.

I was under the impression that the only way to power my board would be to:
a) Buy a pedaltrain type board w/ seperate power supply capable of powering 6-8 pedals.
b) Buy a powered board.

When i came across a comment on a page saying that because some tuners have a DC Out jack, that i could just 'daisy chain' to each of my pedals and use the DC Out from the tuner to power all of the other pedals, Is this true?

If so, Why is everybody not doing this? Are you limited to a small number of pedals you can power before you just melt the tuner circuit or something?
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke
daisy chaining pedals can get quite noisey

thats the main reason i think people dont do that

also the daisy chain needs enougfh power to power al the pedal so it still needs to be connected to power
Last edited by supersac at May 17, 2013,
It's all down to personal preference really. With daisy chaining (as far as I know) you have a plug on one end which then has a long cable and coming off of that, lots of cables to plug into the 9v holes on the tops of pedals. Again, as far as I know you can't power the rest from one pedal with a battery in it, because that battery is just enough to power that pedal, not all of them.

Personally I prefer a pedaltrain type board anyway because it keeps everything tidy and I find daisy chains look messy. Plus, on a pedaltrain type board if one cable goes, you can replace it, or move things around if you're in the middle of a gig. With daisy chaining, much like christmas lights, if one part of it goes, you've got to replace the whole cable.
Gear:
SQ Custom 1, Washburn G-JRVs x3, Yamaha ERG121C, Samick Interceptor, Encore Acoustic, Vintage 5 String Bass, Unbranded Red Bass.
Line 6 SpiderII Halfstack, Laney/Carlsboro Halfstack.
Crybaby,Whammy,Flanger,Stage Tuner,Tremolo,Bass Overdrive
Daisy chains are a good way to get started, but once your board starts growing managing the cable running from one pedal to the next becomes practically impossible due to pedals having the DC input in different places - you end up only using half the potential outputs and having cable issues all over the place.

A powered board would resolve these issues.

Alternatively you could make a board yourself so it meets your requirements and invest in a powerbrick which would run an individual cable to each of your pedals.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by punkguitarist01
It's all down to personal preference really. With daisy chaining (as far as I know) you have a plug on one end which then has a long cable and coming off of that, lots of cables to plug into the 9v holes on the tops of pedals. Again, as far as I know you can't power the rest from one pedal with a battery in it, because that battery is just enough to power that pedal, not all of them.

Personally I prefer a pedaltrain type board anyway because it keeps everything tidy and I find daisy chains look messy. Plus, on a pedaltrain type board if one cable goes, you can replace it, or move things around if you're in the middle of a gig. With daisy chaining, much like christmas lights, if one part of it goes, you've got to replace the whole cable.

When I say daisy chaining from the tuner, I mean - providing the tuner is using a dc power adapter, not running on batteries.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke
Quote by Caaarrl94
When I say daisy chaining from the tuner, I mean - providing the tuner is using a dc power adapter, not running on batteries.

But if the tuner is being powered from a dc power adaptor, how are you going to plug the daisy chain cable in to it?
Gear:
SQ Custom 1, Washburn G-JRVs x3, Yamaha ERG121C, Samick Interceptor, Encore Acoustic, Vintage 5 String Bass, Unbranded Red Bass.
Line 6 SpiderII Halfstack, Laney/Carlsboro Halfstack.
Crybaby,Whammy,Flanger,Stage Tuner,Tremolo,Bass Overdrive
Quote by punkguitarist01
But if the tuner is being powered from a dc power adaptor, how are you going to plug the daisy chain cable in to it?

You'd attach the power adapter to the daisy chain & the daisy chain to the tuner.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
^^ what he said I think
The Boss TU and NS-2 and I'm sure more have a second output DC jack specifically for daisy chaining, I tried it, it was too messy and noisy for me and I only have 4 pedals :/ powered pedal board is the way to go
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
the polytune also has a dc out. it was a bit noisy for me. also a power surge can fry a pedal, which is why people use power supplies (PP2, DC Brick, etc.) that are shielded from that stuff. But apparently if you run it all daisied (probably not a real word) from your tuner if there is a surge only the tuner is subject to overload and getting ruined, as opposed to every and all pedals plugged in to a 1 spot. hope that helps
Meh I just use a surge protector/power strip, think it was like $4
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Quote by Caaarrl94

I was under the impression that the only way to power my board would be to:
a) Buy a pedaltrain type board w/ seperate power supply capable of powering 6-8 pedals.
b) Buy a powered board.

You forgot batteries.
ahah thanks for that