Hi all,

Just bought a Hartke from thomann but wanted to check the voltages/plug setup with someone only first as I'm from the UK and don't want to mess anything up by plugging it in wrong or with the wrong plug.

First Question:
Do I need to be on 115vac or 230vac? (I think 230 but just want to check)

Second Question:
(From the booklet) The fuse ratings for the Hartke 2500 are: 5amp for 115vac and 2.5 amp for 230vac.

Unfortunately it was supplied with an American plug. The wall socket end of it says 16A 250V. The plug end says 10A 250V. I have a UK plug from a computer monitor, which says nothing on the plug end but says 5A 250V on the wall socket end.

Can I use this to power up my amp or do I need to get a different plug/fuse? If so what plug/fuse would be suitable? (Again, I think this is okay but wanted to check first)

Thanks to anyone who can help!
Gear:
SQ Custom 1, Washburn G-JRVs x3, Yamaha ERG121C, Samick Interceptor, Encore Acoustic, Vintage 5 String Bass, Unbranded Red Bass.
Line 6 SpiderII Halfstack, Laney/Carlsboro Halfstack.
Crybaby,Whammy,Flanger,Stage Tuner,Tremolo,Bass Overdrive
Uk should be ~230V.

are you sure it's an american plug? A euro plug is two-pronged, too, and anything I've bought from thomann (haven't bought any hartke stuff, though) has had a euro plug.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sorry, yes it is a Euro plug. Still can't use it here though unless I get an adaptor. Just wondered if I could use the monitor plug so I can start playing with it without damaging it?
Gear:
SQ Custom 1, Washburn G-JRVs x3, Yamaha ERG121C, Samick Interceptor, Encore Acoustic, Vintage 5 String Bass, Unbranded Red Bass.
you mean a kettle lead?

don't quote me on this (do it at your own risk), but i think the fuse in power leads/kettle leads is just to protect the cable, the amp should have its own fuse.

if you really cared you could work out what the fuse in the lead needs to be- do you have the power consumption rating for your amp?

Again, don't quote me on this, but

power (Power consumption, not the power rating of the amp) = current x voltage

power/voltage = current.

so basically divide the power consumption rating of your amp (it'll probably say round the back) by 230V to find the current. then use the next biggest (i think! again, don't quote me, i'm no electronics whizz ) fuse size available in your kettle lead, and (hopefully! and don't quote me) you should be ok.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If the amp has a select voltage (most do), then select the right voltage (230) and use a kettle lead from the UK?

Unless I've been doing it wrong all these years a UK kettle lead is a UK kettle lead and they are all the same, I've used probably between 20-30 different ones for different things, including powering my amps, computer, monitor, kettle, etc etc.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at May 17, 2013,
The only other number on the back other than the watts (250) is 375W. So I guess that's 375 divided by 250 = 1.5 for the current. Does that mean I ideally need a 3 amp fuse, but that using a plug with a 5 amp fuse wouldn't hurt until I can get one as it will allow enough current through and the amp will protect itself with it's own fuse if anything happens like a power surge?
Gear:
And yes, UK kettle lead.
Gear:
Quote by punkguitarist01
And yes, UK kettle lead.

It should work fine as long as it's set for the correct voltage, plug it in and rock on!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
yeah i mean you can definitely overthink it. Odds are it'll work with a bog standard kettle lead (as long as the fuse in it isn't too low).

but yeah probably a 3 amp fuse would be the thing. Can you get 2A? wiki seems to suggest you can, but And also that might be too close to the rating. As i said, I know very little about electronics

And yeah 375 is probably the power consumption.

Just for your future reference (I'm not pointing out a mistake to act superior, i just don't want you to make the mistake again when it might get you into bother ), you divide the power consumption by the mains voltage, not the output power. So it'd be 375/230 = 1.63A. Close enough in this instance, but it might not always be the case in less (or more) efficient products.

Dividing the power consumption by the output power gives you the efficiency of the device.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cheers for the help all, I'll see if I've got a 3A fuse about tomorrow and fit that one in the plug. And cheers for pointing out where I'd gone wrong with the calculations. Copied and pasted to a notepad for future reference!
Gear:
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?