I hope you enjoyed my alliteration .

In a couple months I'll be moving into a 6-bedroom house with 5 roommates. I have a room to myself, and it's a pretty standard bedroom (2 windows, closet, hardwood floors, etc.).

I probably spend between 2 and 3 hours a day playing my electric guitar and would like to reduce the amount of sound coming out of my bedroom as much as possible so as not to disturb my roommates. Besides turning down my amp, do you guys have any suggestions?

I'd like to keep the room functional since it's where I'll be sleeping and working but I'm more than willing to cover every non-used square inch of wall space with acoustic padding. But again, I have no idea what I'm doing.
Hate to burst your bubble, but...

To literally soundproof a room, you will need to spend thousands of dollars and it will involve actual construction/reconstruction of your room. All the acoustic foam you see in studios isn't soundproofing, it just kills reflective waves.

Turn your amp down and/or explore headphone options a la the POD etc.

To not bother people below you, be sure the amp is on a thick carpet or rug, and that will reduce vibrations through the floor. Also, don't push the amp up against a wall, that will bother whoever is on the other side.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
^What he said.

Cheap sound proofing isn't a thing that exists.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Ah, that's what I was afraid of. Guess I'll just have to be courteous and all that mess. We're all friends so that shouldn't be too hard.

And headphones for the night hours. Or I could just play my acoustic.
Quote by blown_speakers
Ah, that's what I was afraid of. Guess I'll just have to be courteous and all that mess. We're all friends so that shouldn't be too hard.

And headphones for the night hours. Or I could just play my acoustic.

Not to poop on your proverbial party (there's some alliteration for you) once again, but you'll find in close quarters that an acoustic is incredibly loud.

Just roll with it, be courteous, and try to observe their schedules and see if there's a good hour or two where you can let loose (be wary of neighbors too).

Still, I like to reminisce, that in my college dorm I had a 50w vintage Laney that I opened up a few times. Guy down the hall had an orange half stack under his bed, 100 rockerverb. Thems was good times.

Also, my indie/folk trio practiced (as loudly as a folk trio can) and recorded in a one-bedroom brooklyn apartment (not hip brooklyn, family brooklyn) for weeks on end, and never got a SINGLE complaint.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite

For the high/mid frequencies (though not to a great effect).
Quote by Grundy0
Never forget what really matters in life, friends and family.
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
Egg cartons won't do sh!t, mostly.

Here is a blog post I made on this very topic. The first half is about sound treatment, but the last half is about sound proofing.

http://greenroommusicblog.blogspot.ca/2013/05/sound-proofing-and-sound-treatment.html

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.