Hi
I'm playing for 1,5 year
I have an ibanez rgt-42 with INF1,2 pickups , a Laney LX-12 amplifier and zoom G1XN
multieffects pedal and i can tell I'm getting a preety decent distorted sound.
I mostly play steve vai and metal-like stuff but I also like rock
I'm thinking of bying a VOX VT20+
the point it does it worth paying 150-200 euros ?
or the difference in the sound will be trivial ?
And after replacing the amp i'm thinking of replacing the stock pickups (which also sound fine,maybe because i havent heard many good pickups ) with Gravity Storm..what about that ?
will it be worth it ?

consider that giving 200 or 400 euros is not the easiest thing to do these days
especially when you live in Greece...I do can afford the gear,i just don't know if it's worth !

thanks in advance
i'm not sure it's worth it- those cheaper modellers are pretty much practice amps designed to give you access to a wide range of tones. if your laney does the tones you need well the vox might not be any better- and for heavier tones most people normally say the roland cubes or peavey vypyrs are better than the voxes, anyway.

if you can stretch a bit more (and if you can't that's fair enough, it really sucks what's going on in greece ), thomann has really good prices on the jet city stuff currently- they're high gain tube amps and they *would* be a massive step up for the stuff you play (assuming you don't have to play at whisper volume all the time).

http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca22h_guitar_head.htm or http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca50h.htm are the best value ones. You do need a speaker cab as well, though- http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm is about the best value you can get for a decent plywood cab with good speakers, but you could probably get away with a 1x12 cabinet for a while if you can't stretch to the 2x12 (assuming the speaker in the 1x12 cab is rated for a high enough wattage).

As I said, if you can't stretch, no worries. But I'm not sure any upgrade short of that is really "worth it", especially if money is tight.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
No, don't do either. Save up your money for a real upgrade. Replacing the pickups is especially pointless.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
i missed the bit about the pickups yeah definitely don't do that at the moment.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you have money issues, look for used guitar/amps. I don't know which sites are out there for greek public, but eBay is good too.
Look for ads near where you live, so you can try out (and hand check) what you're paying for.

Don't buy pickups, unless you have a decent axe.
I'd love to know how someone can play Steve Vai after 1and a half years. I could barely play barre chords!
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

^^ i could play the easier bits of vai (the lead melody bits, not the shreddy bits) passably after a couple of weeks- admittedly guitar wasn't my first instrument, though, so it's not like i was starting totally from scratch, and also i'm still not as confident with chords as i'd ideally like
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'm not sure it's worth it- those cheaper modellers are pretty much practice amps designed to give you access to a wide range of tones. if your laney does the tones you need well the vox might not be any better- and for heavier tones most people normally say the roland cubes or peavey vypyrs are better than the voxes, anyway.

if you can stretch a bit more (and if you can't that's fair enough, it really sucks what's going on in greece ), thomann has really good prices on the jet city stuff currently- they're high gain tube amps and they *would* be a massive step up for the stuff you play (assuming you don't have to play at whisper volume all the time).

http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca22h_guitar_head.htm or http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca50h.htm are the best value ones. You do need a speaker cab as well, though- http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm is about the best value you can get for a decent plywood cab with good speakers, but you could probably get away with a 1x12 cabinet for a while if you can't stretch to the 2x12 (assuming the speaker in the 1x12 cab is rated for a high enough wattage).

As I said, if you can't stretch, no worries. But I'm not sure any upgrade short of that is really "worth it", especially if money is tight.

I'm not internested in head at all I want a combo amp
but i think you have right
I only want to practice and I can do it well with my current gear !
thanks
Apart from a better amp, you could always get like a delay or something...
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by floyd1996
I'm not internested in head at all I want a combo amp
but i think you have right
I only want to practice and I can do it well with my current gear !
thanks

jet city makes combos too, just thomann doesn't have them in stock currently- the jca5012 is the combo version of the 50 watt head and the jca2212 is the combo version of the jca22h head. whether thomann ever gets them into stock is another thing but if they do, they should be even cheaper than the head/cabinet versions and would probably be worth considering.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?