Short and sweet: Loosened the tremolo on my strat so it would float again. Enjoying it, but the B and G strings aren't holding tune. The other four are fine, but those two slip out of tune whenever I use the trem much. Going to put graphite on the saddles, nut, etc. later tonight, but anything else I should do to try and fix these strings?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Were they out of tune at all before you set it floating? If so, I'd look at the individual saddles on the bridge and see how they're placed...
I've always gone for
E on the edge, B 1-2mm behind E and G 1mm behind B
D on the edge again,A 1-2mm behind D and E 1mm behind A

Why I've always gone for that is that it worked perfectly. However, if you are out of tune on frets from 7 to 12, I'd put B a little bit more behind the E and then do the same for G from B. That works well with my Gibson's Tune-o-matic setup, I have my action fairly high.

However, if they were not out of tune before, see what the graphite will do. I use Big Bends nut lubricant myself and I don't want to sound like a commercial, but it really works and it lasts for a long time.

Just to add: Are your strings really new or a bit old?
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at May 17, 2013,
i dont have al that graphite stuff. i just use the "big bends nut sauce" and it works great. just put a tiny bit on the saddles and in the nut and you will be fine
Quote by Sakke
Were they out of tune at all before you set it floating? If so, I'd look at the individual saddles on the bridge and see how they're placed...
I've always gone for
E on the edge, B 1-2mm behind E and G 1mm behind B
D on the edge again,A 1-2mm behind D and E 1mm behind A

Why I've always gone for that is that it worked perfectly. However, if you are out of tune on frets from 7 to 12, I'd put B a little bit more behind the E and then do the same for G from B. That works well with my Gibson's Tune-o-matic setup, I have my action fairly high.

However, if they were not out of tune before, see what the graphite will do. I use Big Bends nut lubricant myself and I don't want to sound like a commercial, but it really works and it lasts for a long time.

Just to add: Are your strings really new or a bit old?

It's not a case of them being out of tune on fret XYZ, which is what I think most of your post is referring to, it's a case of them going out of tune when I use the bridge. Which is to be expected, but it's going out even with subtle use, and the other four strings are fine, so I feel like something about the setup of those two must be off.

And the strings are about a month old, but it sat at home during finals, so they've only been played for about a week or two's worth of use.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Last edited by necrosis1193 at May 17, 2013,
Quote by necrosis1193
It's not a case of them being out of tune on fret XYZ, which is what I think most of your post is referring to, it's a case of them going out of tune when I use the bridge. Which is to be expected, but it's going out even with subtle use, and the other four strings are fine, so I feel like something about the setup of those two must be off.

And the strings are about a month old, but it sat at home during finals, so they've only been played for about a week or two's worth of use.

It could occur on tremolo use too, especially on FR-style tremolo... But if that wasn't the case, then I think that something is preventing them to act as they should, use lubricant, see what happens. Usually fixes it
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

It sounds to me like a balance issue. More often than not the G and B strings will drop out of tune even though the other strings hold if the spring-string tension isn't exact.

Another problem could be burrs in the nut slots for those strings and/or burrs on the saddles that are causing the strings to get caught and not return to pitch. Smoothing out those burrs and using something like graphite or ceramic grease ("nut sauce" as it's called) will work wonders for this.

Also, make sure those strings are intonated. The G string specifically can be a real bitch with some guitars.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Please, set up your stratocaster using the official Fender Stratocaster Setup Guide! Pay extra attention to the pivot screws. The outer two should be (equally) tight with a level bridge plate. The others have to be looser, so the screw heads don't obstruct anything. The screws are super important! If the plate can twist even slightly, some strings can (and probably will) go out of tune.

Trust me, setup is everything. I had a mexican strat for two years and I thought it would never stay in tune and it was probably just a bad guitar. Luckily I'm a bit of a tweaker so eventually I figured this out. Then I could divebomb, pull up, vibrate the arm .. all day long without really losing tune, bar natural stretch on the strings. The official Fender setup guide is actually really good. It's unfortunate that so many people don't pay attention to it.

The "nut sauce" is also a good product, but I don't think you really need it for a good working tremolo setup. I use it when I get a ringing noise on the open string on any of my guitars. I clean the string contact points on both sides and apply a blob of this nut sauce. It has been 100% effective so far.